• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It is my considered opinion that .22 LR is the single most useful caliber ever invented.

It is hands-down bar none the best practice caliber in both handguns and rifles.

Due to 22's low cost, you can shoot 10-50x more rounds for the same money as a centerfire cartridge. Practice makes perfect, and 10-50s more practice is 10-50x more perfect.

Due to the low recoil and noise, you can break or avoid forming the bad habits that contribute to most shooters' accuracy problems (whether newbies or experienced).

Colt is now making an AR15/M16 variant in .22LR for agency training for these same reasons.

.22 is also a great caliber for varmints, pests, and small game. If you were in a real life survival or 'balloon goes up' scenario, your life would probably depend more on your .22 than your centerfire rifle. For every time you have to defend yourself against a mountain lion, your .22 will probably save your life 10 times by filling up your pot with squirrels or rabbits when you otherwise might have starved.

So, why all the disrespect for .22 among shooters?
    On this forum, if you so much as suggest to someone that a .22 is the best answer to the question they asked, they will respond as if you suggested they start taking female hormones and wearing a dress.

One of the best all-around shooters I've ever known is a retired Army sergeant. Over the years he has demonstrated high levels of firearms mastery in hunting, combat, and target competition - with rifles, pistols, and shotguns. I never saw him at the rifle or handgun range without a .22, and often saw him there with nothing but a .22

If Sergeant Jim says he can still learn and be challenged by shooting .22's, then I know I certainly can.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have full respect for them, and have more .22LR in my ammo safe than all other calibers combined. Fun, inexpensive, and in an emergency, it can do the job as well as any other caliber as long as you do your job.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I have 8 or 9 .22's plus conversion kits for my AR's. I shoot them more than all my other calibers combined.. I love'm

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    No disrespect here! I love the 22LR round :D

favorite guns include

Ruger 10/22
    Winchester 22 lever action
    Savage 22 bolt rifle
    Ruger MK2 pistol with 4 inch barrel
    just about any 22LR revolver
    and the Walther P22 is pretty cool too :)

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I haven't notice any disrespect except when someone mentions getting a .22 for use as a carry piece for personal protection or to use for hunting larger game.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Only the uneducated disrespect a .22 cal firearm. I wouldn't suggest that a .22 is the best choice of a carry caliber for me, but who is expert enough to tell anyone what caliber they should carry?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    So, why all the disrespect for .22 among shooters?
    On this forum, if you so much as suggest to someone that a .22 is the best answer to the question they asked, they will respond as if you suggested they start taking female hormones and wearing a dress.

Cite? I haven't seen any such suggestions. In fact, when someone's new to guns, getting a .22 is one of the first suggestions made.

Mind you, you'll tend to see criticism of its use as a big game or self defense (another kind of big game, I suppose) round, but for learning and the other things you listed, it's generally given pretty high marks.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Good point (albeit a little abrupt), Marc..

A half-dozen .22 rounds in a BG's eye socket is better than straight misses with a larger caliber..

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Preaching to the choir, here. I love the .22, and share your opinion regarding it's value in training, and it's versatility. Not to mention all the pure fun you can have with them.

Frankly, if I had to bug out with just one gun, it would be my Savage MKII with it's big heavy barrel, and lots and lots of ammo.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Since the big ammo increases... I know, you havent heard about that yet!!!:rolleyes:

We have shot our Ruger 10/22s and MK II & IIIs alot more. Shooting all day for about $10-$15 is pretty sweet....

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I in all seriousness had considered a well balanced 10/22 with reliable mags and decent ammo for HD during my cheap years. My assumption was two mags jungle taped together would be a good idea. Dump the entire mag into the sucker until he drops. Low recoil (and even low flash, even no flash at night from shooting at my friend's orchard) and high capacity would make for a good option.

My only fear is that the 20-30 rounds of .22 would not do enough to drop a target, just horribly wound it. The last thing I need is "excessive" force being used against me in court due to round count, have the shooting judged excessive, then I have a civil and criminal situation on my hands. While not an credible threat and a paranoid one at that, it does linger in my mind. I now have my 92FS as my bedtable gun.

Carry of a .22 is a different animal in my mind. If enough rounds are spent into a bad dude, the guy will potentially stop due to shock, but I am unsure of that. While it may not KILL the guy (if you place em right, it could), it would give you time to get away. But it is that slim chance of a non-stop that keeps me from carrying a P22 again. Once again, this is a personal thing, not to be judged as a fact or yes/no answer.

One must be assured that their .22 is a good feeder before using it for any defensive purposes (keep in mind, I would suggest a 10/22 for HD if that is all one has, but I would not personally). From what I have seen, the .22 in light autoloaders is a mechanically inefficient cartridge, meaning, it is very long, an issue that prevents feeding or extracting in smaller handguns like the Beretta 21. While many of these guns WILL and HAVE fed well, one must test theirs over a thousand rounds before trusting it, not to mention using quality .22 (the stuff that comes in 100 round packs that say CCI on it or the stuff that is 6 bucks a box of 50 :D ).

My two cents.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Cite? I haven't seen any such suggestions. In fact, when someone's new to guns, getting a .22 is one of the first suggestions made.

Mind you, you'll tend to see criticism of its use as a big game or self defense (another kind of big game, I suppose) round, but for learning and the other things you listed, it's generally given pretty high marks.

I'm going to guess that that was an unattributed quote from some other BB. No one on INGO has ever posted "looking down their nose" at the .22LR that I've seen, although some have said, even in this thread, that it's not the ideal or preferred caliber for SD. Conversely, it's better than "strong language" as an alternative.

I have 2 .22LR firearms, a Savage Mk II and a Walther P22. The former has had more range time than anything lately, and the latter was my first handgun I purchased. Both have their places amongst my other guns.

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:
    Top Bottom