• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, I resent those that suggest taking cyclists rights away, those that designate them second class users, say they should get out of their way, and slur cyclists as playing in the road.
    Well. You prove my point. You imagine that you’re in a group where your rights are being taken away. Motor vehicles don’t really have a right to drive on roads. Motor vehicle drivers need a permission slip to drive. And when they drive, the vehicles must be registered. If you had an equal *right* to the road, you’d have to do the same.

I think if driving is a privilege, something we’re permitted to do, it’s not actually a right. But that’s a matter of semantics for another discussion. And what it is for bicycles, it’s better described as an accommodation. Roads were built for motor vehicles. But bicycles may use those roads. And because of the accommodations, new roads get bike friendly grates where needed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You don’t get how your posts are indicative of “suggest taking cyclists rights away, those that designate them second class users, say they should get out of their way,“. Wow!

A ton of posts that cyclists don’t pay taxes for roads, roads are not designed for bikes, but you don’t get why cyclists can see you are not for protecting their rights…
    Oh no. I think that was me who called you second class road users. But it’s you who imagines your rights are being taken away. I think cyclists should yield right of way to motor vehicles when driving on roads. It’s safer.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Oh no. I think that was me who called you second class road users. But it’s you who imagines your rights are being taken away. I think cyclists should yield right of way to motor vehicles when driving on roads. It’s safer.
    Especially when I explicitly stated, "I don't view bicyclists as second-class."

But, he's arguing with the voices in his head that he has ascribed to me.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think if driving is a privilege, something we’re permitted to do, it’s not actually a right. But that’s a matter of semantics for another discussion. And what it is for bicycles, it’s better described as an accommodation. Roads were built for motor vehicles. But bicycles may use those roads. And because of the accommodations, new roads get bike friendly grates where needed.
    This is the point that he just refuses to concede - perhaps is incapable of doing so. The logical conclusion of of stating "roads were built for motor vehicles" (and/or "roads were paid for by motor vehicles") is that "yet, because bicycles may also use the roads, bicycles must be accommodated."

But, because he refuses to concede the underlying points, he similarly can't arrive at the same, logical conclusion and therefore creates all manner of straw men to come to absurd conclusions (that conveniently victimize him as a bicyclist and demonize us as motor vehicle drivers).

It's a form of cognitive dissonance.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What do we know for certain from this photo?

We know that there are two cyclists in the photo. One is more likely than the other to be a moron.

Is the cyclist on an interstate not for cyclists?

Not an interstate. Looks like a stop light ahead that applies to the traffic bound in that direction on that road.
    Does the right line go where the cyclist needs to go?

Who knows where he needs to go. Is he joy riding? Is he on his way to his mistress’s place?

We know a little of nothing for certain from this pic.
    Except that at least one rider is a moron.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What do we know for certain from this photo? Is the cyclist on an interstate not for cyclists? Does the right line go where the cyclist needs to go? We know a little of nothing for certain from this pic.

"ASK! And Ye Shall Receive!! Blessed be printcraft, for he is good." - princraft 3:28

https://dialogdesign.ca/news-events/groat-road-bridges-open-to-traffic/

The City of Edmonton’s summer construction season wraps up this week, and Groat Road Bridges is one of the major projects that caps off the season with an exciting milestone. The road is open to two lanes of traffic in both directions, and a wider shared use path is also ready for pedestrians and cyclists.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The bicycles are by toys in every Walmart I’ve ever been in. And the vehicle in the picture is not capable of registering for road use.

American roads exist primarily to serve the needs of commerce. One of the most fun roads I ever rode runs through the mountains in north georgia…the only reason it exists was to access the marble there.

Anything being used for recreation is a toy.

My motorcycles were toys, but I stopped playing with them in traffic because, well…I guess I have already made that point and I really shouldn’t get Mike worked up so close to supper.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Is it okay if we hate that one? :)

MjAxMy1jOTQ0MmFkZDJjMWZlYjQ0_51bf33622c0d6.png

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well. You prove my point. You imagine that you’re in a group where your rights are being taken away. Motor vehicles don’t really have a right to drive on roads. Motor vehicle drivers need a permission slip to drive. And when they drive, the vehicles must be registered. If you had an equal *right* to the road, you’d have to do the same.

You are correct that we all have been wording it incorrectly, it is a privilege, as the courts have said. That said the rules of use have nothing to do with the privileges of each user. However all users have full access to their privileges subject to their specific limitations in the law. I don’t have to imagine, this thread is full of those that want to take or reduce the privileges of cyclists, including you.

Top Bottom