Why you need to be careful while carrying on the beach.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    This weekend I was on the beach at Lake Michigan with my family. I decided to pack along my Kel-Tec 380 in my cargo pocket of my swimming trunks. I figured I would need only have to oil my gun again after the outing. I was wrong.......
    First off within just an hour of being out of the water walking along the beach I noticed rust spots appearing on the barrel. When I got back to our campsite I tried to rack the slide back to clear the chamber and found that sand had gotten into the just about every crevice of the gun. I'm pretty confident that had I fired the gun it wouldn't have cycled to the next round.
    As I was unloading the bullets from the magazine several of the bullets were stuck down in the mag. Sand created enough friction to prevent the spring from pushing the bullets up. I sprayed a ton of oil all over the gun, wiped out as much sand as possible and then set it aside until I could get it home for a more thorough cleaning. (By the way, it appears to be just fine after home cleaning. I'll shoot it at the range in the next weeks before carrying it again.)
    For the record we were at the beach for about two hours we spent quite a bit of time in the water, but we were on the beach for awhile building sand castles with our boys. ( I imagine that's where most of the sand troubles came from.)
    Thought this bit of knowledge might help other know what to potentially expect while carrying at the beach.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    This weekend I was on the beach at Lake Michigan with my family. I decided to pack along my Kel-Tec 380 in my cargo pocket of my swimming trunks. I figured I would need only have to oil my gun again after the outing. I was wrong.......
    First off within just an hour of being out of the water walking along the beach I noticed rust spots appearing on the barrel. When I got back to our campsite I tried to rack the slide back to clear the chamber and found that sand had gotten into the just about every crevice of the gun. I'm pretty confident that had I fired the gun it wouldn't have cycled to the next round.
    As I was unloading the bullets from the magazine several of the bullets were stuck down in the mag. Sand created enough friction to prevent the spring from pushing the bullets up. I sprayed a ton of oil all over the gun, wiped out as much sand as possible and then set it aside until I could get it home for a more thorough cleaning. (By the way, it appears to be just fine after home cleaning. I'll shoot it at the range in the next weeks before carrying it again.)
    For the record we were at the beach for about two hours we spent quite a bit of time in the water, but we were on the beach for awhile building sand castles with our boys. ( I imagine that's where most of the sand troubles came from.)
    Thought this bit of knowledge might help other know what to potentially expect while carrying at the beach.

Thanks for the report and warning. It's something to keep in mind.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Might want to invest in a J-frame Smith revolver or similar. I cruised down the Salt river in Arizona on a rafting trip with an Airweight in my shorts, had just a bit of rust on the cylinder when it was over, gun still functioned perfectly. I do love my P3AT, but I wouldn't subject it to the beach. Just be thankful it wasn't salt water!

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Might want to invest in a J-frame Smith revolver or similar. I cruised down the Salt river in Arizona on a rafting trip with an Airweight in my shorts, had just a bit of rust on the cylinder when it was over, gun still functioned perfectly. I do love my P3AT, but I wouldn't subject it to the beach. Just be thankful it wasn't salt water!
    I got revolvers to, but I chose this gun based on size and weight. But I think you're right about how it would handle better. Perhaps a little 22mag pug or whatever would be a good choice....

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Ding! Ding! Ding! I had my P3AT in shorts while up along some dunes. Sand castles with the kids... same story. I was never in the water. Just like all of that sand gets in every crevice of your anatomy? Same thing with the pistol.

Same story. The same issues with the mags. Mine also was releasing the hammer/striker before the full trigger pull. I had to clean, clean, clean mine.

I'm not knocking the p3at... I suspect many other pistols would do the same. Couple of days later and I had the HK P7 in the same environment... no problems. YMMV.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Congratulations. LOL
    You just learned what every Soldier in the Mid-East does almost everyday. At least those who are not fobbits anyway...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm wondering if for "beach carry" situations a lightly oiled on the inside and sealed sandwitch bag would help minimize the issue. The downside of course would be an added layer of plastic to open to get to the weapon, but it might mean the difference between a weapon that won't functionand one that will.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm wondering if for "beach carry" situations a lightly oiled on the inside and sealed sandwitch bag would help minimize the issue. The downside of course would be an added layer of plastic to open to get to the weapon, but it might mean the difference between a weapon that won't functionand one that will.

Why open it?!
    Why not just poke your finger through the bag and squeeze the trigger... :dunno:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    You know...you wouldn't have those problems if you carried a Glock. Not just trying to ruffle feathers here...I speak from experience.
    I took my Glock kayaking and it was submerged for a portion of the trip and it didn't get the first sign of rust.
    When I got home I simply cleaned it like I would after a range visit and all is well.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    ...a lightly oiled on the inside and sealed sandwitch bag would help minimize the issue.

This is what I do kayaking/canoeing with a S&W 317

I took my Glock kayaking and it was submerged for a portion of the trip and it didn't get the first sign of rust.
    When I got home I simply cleaned it like I would after a range visit and all is well.

Did this with a G 26, same positive results.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    You know...you wouldn't have those problems if you carried a Glock. Not just trying to ruffle feathers here...I speak from experience.
    Glock doesn't make a gun as small and light as the P3AT. My Glock 17 is a bit big to fit in my cargo pants. I Could be wrong, but I bet it would have some of the same issues dealing with the sand to. In the end I'll either end up with a plastic baggy or a very small revolver.
    Just had another thought, I wonder how a 2 shot derringer would do? There's not a lot of exposed moving parts on them.......

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Just had another thought, I wonder how a 2 shot derringer would do? There's not a lot of exposed moving parts on them.......

Yeah, but I don't know anyone that makes a quality one.The Davis and Cobra are the only two I know of and they are both crap. The old Hi-Standard ones worked well. Lots of cops carried them for BUG guns back in the day..... The NAA little .22 mag revolver might be worth looking into. I carried one of the .22LR ones for years in a pocket and it fired with all kinds of crud on it.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I found that putting my beach gun in a food saver bag and sealing it good. No water got in, not even a drop. No said at all. Ziplock bags leak like crazy.

Foodsaver sealed > ziplock bag

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Titanium alloy FTW. Is it even possible for that stuff to rust??

Top Bottom