Why you need to be careful while carrying on the beach.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It has been brought to my attention that some do not know what a Fobbit is. A Fobbit is a Soldier who never leaves the safety of the FOB (Forward Operating Base). It is one of the rudest things you can say to an actual Combat Soldier. In yesterdays past when the Army had set lines of combat they were refereed to as REMF's (Rear Echelon MF's).

P.S. To find out the sub-species types of Fobbits. Check out this link. http://www.facebook.com/bobonthefobc...onthefobcomics

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Titanium alloy FTW. Is it even possible for that stuff to rust??
    While Titanium is highly resistant to oxidation, I think our handguns should all be made from Unobtanium. You know, it was developed at Whassamatta U. (I know, Iknow, an old reference......Keel Moose and Squirrel ! ) :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Lightly oil your gun if it is a steel gun. Put your gun in a ZIPLOCK or similar lunch bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible, seal the bag.

Put the bag, with the gun in it, into your pocket.

Titanium, scanium, aluminum etc may prevent rust, but an oiled gun will be a sand magnet and will jam.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Might want to invest in a J-frame Smith revolver or similar. I cruised down the Salt river in Arizona on a rafting trip with an Airweight in my shorts, had just a bit of rust on the cylinder when it was over, gun still functioned perfectly. I do love my P3AT, but I wouldn't subject it to the beach. Just be thankful it wasn't salt water!

I used to tube down the Salt river all the time when I was younger. Good times, miss it.

I second the food saver bag.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    If you can't deal with 1 extra inch and the equivalent of a candybar's worth more weight that the Glock 26(subcompact9mm) has over the P3AT then I don't know what to tell you.......

I personally carry a Glock 22 99.9% of the time when I'm not in the office, 85% of that carry time is IWB CC. The rest is mixed between OWB OC and off body inside of a EDC bag. (Laptop or Gym bag depending on what I'm doing/where I'm going).

I've carried this G22 (Generally with 1-2 spare mags) during rafting trips without issue so I really don't understand peoples trepidation towards carrying an extra 8-10 ounces over the pea shooters that are the KelTec and LCP .380's.

About Glocks and sand, here is one guy who's been abusing Glocks for years trying to find their weaknesses....

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

The glock still fired after being burried in sand...

Glock doesn't make a gun as small and light as the P3AT. My Glock 17 is a bit big to fit in my cargo pants. I Could be wrong, but I bet it would have some of the same issues dealing with the sand to. In the end I'll either end up with a plastic baggy or a very small revolver.
    Just had another thought, I wonder how a 2 shot derringer would do? There's not a lot of exposed moving parts on them.......

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    From scuba to laying on the beach, I have always had various handguns on me with a high quality freezer ziplock. My 1911 has spent much time at the bottom of my cooler under the ice. (never left alone). My wife and friends didnt care for this much untill they saw the scumbags approach for money or even asking if we want to get "High". Everyone in our group has something in plastic. We are never "naked" and we keep to ourselves.:draw:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Why open it?!
    Why not just poke your finger through the bag and squeeze the trigger... :dunno:

Excellent point...and would definitely be what one would want to do in a immediate need situation. I'm thinking this is probably not unlike the shoot thru muzzle covers for the AR platform.

My immediate concern for a handgun with a reciprocating slide and firing with the gun inside of the bag would be potential fouling of the slide either from a case that doesn't completly eject due to the bag, or from parts of the bag getting ripped and into the operating mechanism.

Sounds like a good experiment for the next time I'm at the range. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Excellent point...and would definitely be what one would want to do in a immediate need situation. I'm thinking this is probably not unlike the shoot thru muzzle covers for the AR platform.

My immediate concern for a handgun with a reciprocating slide and firing with the gun inside of the bag would be potential fouling of the slide either from a case that doesn't completly eject due to the bag, or from parts of the bag getting ripped and into the operating mechanism.

Be sure and wear a glove. Chances are good that the plastic will melt. I'd presume that plastic that's hot enough to melt will also probably not feel very well on bare skin...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Sounds like you just volunteered to right an AAR... :D

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why open it?!
    Why not just poke your finger through the bag and squeeze the trigger... :dunno:

DING DING DING

Yes ladies and gentlemen we have a winner from the man who has played in the BIG sandbox.

My exact thoughts also, but I'll take it a step further and make sure it's one of the thinnest bags possible that still retains it's ziplock seal.

Sand and grit is the enemy when it comes to reliable functioning firearms, heck it's the enemy when it comes to any moving parts regardless of what it is.

Besides the ziplock will also keep your firearm from getting wet and starting the rusting process.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You know...you wouldn't have those problems if you carried a Glock. Not just trying to ruffle feathers here...I speak from experience.
    I took my Glock kayaking and it was submerged for a portion of the trip and it didn't get the first sign of rust.
    When I got home I simply cleaned it like I would after a range visit and all is well.

Kayaking down a river and being on a beach are two different beast except the moisture issue.

You get some sand lodged and caught in the slide, firing pin hole or mag and your's and everyone else's glorious Glock becomes nothing but a inoperable paperweight.

Now as far as rust, if the barrel has a good adhering oil layer on it, it won't rust

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Why open it?!

This^^^^^^^^^^^

I carry my P32 when we go to the beach/waterpark in a ziplock bag. The bag will leak and your gun will get wet, but the sand will stay out.

keltecs rust if you just look at them, as soon as you get home or back to the hotel room, dry it out ASAP. Gunscrubber works great but at a hotel I just prop a hair dryer up and let it blow on the disassembled gun for 15-20 minutes in the bathroom with the door closed.

Top Bottom