Why you need to be careful while carrying on the beach.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I think that pressing the plastic against the side of the slide as you push your trigger finger through the bag will greatly increase the potential for a spent casing to NOT clear the slide. Not to mention the plastic retarding or stopping the slide travel. If the bag is thin enough to tear and allow the slide to move freely, it probably will not keep out the water. You better make that first shot count and hope there's only one attacker.

I would suggest that someone here actually put a gun in a bag, put the bag in their pocket, go the beach and play in the surf and sand for two hours THEN go to the range and poke their finger through the bag and attempt to fire. That's the only way to know for certain.

Also, every gun can fail, even the holy GLOCK. (I own two of them and they still get cleaned and inspected like the rest of my mortal guns). :) As soon as you understand that fact and train accordingly, you'll be ready, even after a day at the beach.

The only way to KNOW for sure is to submit the gun to a real world test that (in this case) includes some sand.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I think that pressing the plastic against the side of the slide as you push your trigger finger through the bag will greatly increase the potential for a spent casing to NOT clear the slide. Not to mention the plastic retarding or stopping the slide travel. If the bag is thin enough to tear and allow the slide to move freely, it probably will not keep out the water. You better make that first shot count and hope there's only one attacker.

I would suggest that someone here actually put a gun in a bag, put the bag in their pocket, go the beach and play in the surf and sand for two hours THEN go to the range and poke their finger through the bag and attempt to fire. That's the only way to know for certain.

Also, every gun can fail, even the holy GLOCK. (I own two of them and they still get cleaned and inspected like the rest of my mortal guns). :) As soon as you understand that fact and train accordingly, you'll be ready, even after a day at the beach.

The only way to KNOW for sure is to submit the gun to a real world test that (in this case) includes some sand.
    Sounds like you just volunteered. :D
    I would do it, but probably won't be until next year that I'm back at the beach. :rolleyes:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

I'm planning to do this my next trip to the range. :)

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Quick update to this thread.
    After frolicking around in the waves with a gun in my pants, and spending time on the beach with my kids the gun was NOT ready to be fired. Sand had jammed it up pretty bad and it start rusting within 30 minutes of being out of the water. Both of these conditions I expected just not as bad as they were.
    When I got back to our camp site I took the gun apart and clean it very well with and hosed it down pretty good with oil.
    Now here's the update part.
    I set the gun aside because I decided before I carried it as a defense piece I wanted to try it out at the range to verify everything was as it seemed. It took me about a month before I got it back to the range. The bullets were Hornaday Critical defense and they were the same one that had been in the gun at the beach. 4 out 6 bullet failed to fire. I loaded in fresh ball ammo and gun worked great. 4 failed bullets didn't fail due to cycling or what not they simply failed to fire from the primer being hit with the pin. I suppose they got wet inside.
    I wanted to do the plastic bag test while at the range, but I forgot to bring a plastic bag. :(
    So, I suppose the real question is, "After getting wet for even 5 minutes or so, would my gun have fired at all if I'd needed it on the beach?"
    Anyway, just thought I would add some info to this story.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Quick update to this thread.
    After frolicking around in the waves with a gun in my pants, and spending time on the beach with my kids the gun was NOT ready to be fired. Sand had jammed it up pretty bad and it start rusting within 30 minutes of being out of the water. Both of these conditions I expected just not as bad as they were.
    When I got back to our camp site I took the gun apart and clean it very well with and hosed it down pretty good with oil.
    Now here's the update part.
    I set the gun aside because I decided before I carried it as a defense piece I wanted to try it out at the range to verify everything was as it seemed. It took me about a month before I got it back to the range. The bullets were Hornaday Critical defense and they were the same one that had been in the gun at the beach. 4 out 6 bullet failed to fire. I loaded in fresh ball ammo and gun worked great. 4 failed bullets didn't fail due to cycling or what not they simply failed to fire from the primer being hit with the pin. I suppose they got wet inside.
    I wanted to do the plastic bag test while at the range, but I forgot to bring a plastic bag. :(
    So, I suppose the real question is, "After getting wet for even 5 minutes or so, would my gun have fired at all if I'd needed it on the beach?"
    Anyway, just thought I would add some info to this story.

What gun/ammo is this because I've seen this test done with Glocks and Hornaday ammo several times.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    This is the P3AT KelTec 380
    Loaded with Hornady Critical Defense Ammo.

Can't say I'm surprised by the KelTec failure to operate. I had a buddy who said his started rusting after being out in a heavy rain....not exactly something I'm willing to hang the safety of my family on.

So far as the ammo goes... I've never used the critical defense stuff, I carry the TAP .40 S&W, I'll have to try this with my spare glock, I know it (actually my primary G22) has taken a short dunk in a pond and the ammo worked fine.

**EDIT** also, where was the beach? Local freshwater or some saltwater somewhere?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I ran a test on Speer Gold Dot and the New Winchester XDM round both in 40 S&W. I submerged a box of each in water for 2 weeks moving the rounds to different positions allowing any air to escape that possibly could of. The ammo remained in the water until they were loaded at the range and fired. Every round fired from both brands and were able to clear a Fort Wayne and two Indy phone books stacked on each other. When I get some extra cash I'm planning on doing this same test on Remington Gold Sabers and Hydro Shocks in 9mm and 380.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I ran a test on Speer Gold Dot and the New Winchester XDM round both in 40 S&W. I submerged a box of each in water for 2 weeks moving the rounds to different positions allowing any air to escape that possibly could of. The ammo remained in the water until they were loaded at the range and fired. Every round fired from both brands and were able to clear a Fort Wayne and two Indy phone books stacked on each other. When I get some extra cash I'm planning on doing this same test on Remington Gold Sabers and Hydro Shocks in 9mm and 380.

Wow, very nice! (My wife bought me a 20 box of those new winchesters a few weeks ago, said she was in wally world and she had never seen them there before so she bought me some to try out!!! She's definitely a keeper!!!)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm looking in my crystal ball and I see several guns and amo coming up for sale or trade in the classifieds, barely used, only a couple rounds down the rusty pipe! Half a box of 40SW, never been under water / trade for 45acp!

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Impressive test. Thanks.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Can't say I'm surprised by the KelTec failure to operate. I had a buddy who said his started rusting after being out in a heavy rain....not exactly something I'm willing to hang the safety of my family on.

So far as the ammo goes... I've never used the critical defense stuff, I carry the TAP .40 S&W, I'll have to try this with my spare glock, I know it (actually my primary G22) has taken a short dunk in a pond and the ammo worked fine.

**EDIT** also, where was the beach? Local freshwater or some saltwater somewhere?
    Lake Michigan in Michigan.
    As to the other part of post. I don't want KelTec to get a bad name due to this thread. I would, and still due trust KelTecs as my carry weapon, but this certainly wasn't the right application for the gun. The gun failed to cycle due to the sand. I doubt that any other compact semi auto would have fared much better. After it was cleared and re lubricated it ran great with different ammo. This would indicate that ammo not firing at the range was not a further issue with gun rather an issue with the ammo.
    Next time I will probably carry a small revolver with ammo proven to work well when wet. Or I may try carrying the KelTec in a plastic bag.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm looking in my crystal ball and I see several guns and amo coming up for sale or trade in the classifieds, barely used, only a couple rounds down the rusty pipe! Half a box of 40SW, never been under water / trade for 45acp!

LOL I did clean and oil My P99 after firing those rounds. Actually all my guns get a good cleaning and oil about every 2 -3 weeks

And really, it's not any worse than the swamp water test another member did on here a while back. Actually my P99 was exposed to a lot less water than the Glock, Kimber, and XD that was used in the swamp water test.

Last edited:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Sorry, It's Winchester PDX1 not XDM. Don't know where I got the XDM from but yes, same ones you can get at Wal-Mart and Meijer. I bought mine from Tomilson's in Busco for a few dollars less. I didn't have any doubt about the Speer Gold Dots since that test is one of their marketing ploys to LE agencies. I've never seen Winchester make that claim but I figured what the hell, lets see what happens.

tweekie1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    ziplock bag

I was just thinking about firing a gun while in a zip lock or vac sealed bag. Would not the out going gases expand or rupure the bag when it is fired? Somewhat like blowing up a balloon.:scratch:

tweekie1

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I tried carrying a full size 1911 with 5 spare mags & a full bullet proof vest but it didn't work out so well. I kept sinking. Does anyone know of anyway to carry all of that & still have semblence of fun with my family while at the beach? You never know when you may need all that ammo to fend off a roving gang of scuba divers.

Insert purple as necessary.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I tried carrying a full size 1911 with 5 spare mags & a full bullet proof vest but it didn't work out so well. I kept sinking. Does anyone know of anyway to carry all of that & still have semblence of fun with my family while at the beach? You never know when you may need all that ammo to fend off a roving gang of scuba divers.

Insert purple as necessary.
    You're gonna need a bigger boat......

Top Bottom