Why you should have a plan (and a large dog)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So last night while I was becoming a member at MCF&G, my wife had some excitement. While I was gone, she decided to go ahead and mow the yard. Parts of the yard was getting pretty tall, so WTH. My house is on a main highway, and in the early evening it gets pretty busy.

So, she was mowing along the highway, and from a distance she notices 2 figures walking along the side of the road. Not thinking much into it, she keeps mowing. We get a few runners, and an older couple who likes to walk into town. No biggie. She makes another pass, and sees the 2 figures are closer. Watching them, they quickly walk across the street, on our side. Able to see them better, she says they are thugs. At least they are dressed like thugs. They're talking to each other, and suddenly are pointing in her direction. Quite possibly AT her.

Not knowing if she would be worried, she turns the tractor and heads towards the house. Casually looking behind, they are getting closer, their pace seems to have gone quicker. NOW she's starting to get a bit worried. Not knowing what's going on. Not sure if this is a REAL incident. Could be a coincidence, but not wanting to find out. They're pretty much in our yard by the time she's able to stop the tractor next to the front door. Her plan is to lock herself in the house, head to our "safe" room, and get the loaded shotgun I have there. Just in case.

Before she can even get off the tractor, Barney Fife, our 120 pound Rottweiler puppy, comes CHARGING from the backyard, barking and growling, heading towards the 2 "thugs". They run, across to the other side of the highway, and way down the road. They stop a ways, and just watch our house. The whole time, Barney just sits there as close to the road as he can, never taking his eyes off them. After awhile, the 2 "thugs" head into town.

My wife puts the tractor up, and locks herself in the house, keeping an eye out the window. But never sees them again.

I think she did a great job. And I'm very proud of Barney. I was home today, and never saw anybody. We don't know if it was a coincidence, or actually was something. But it's nice to know that when I'm gone, and if anything should happen, there's a plan my wife can follow. And, that I have a large dog to scare away intruders.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Glad everything worked out well. Pat the doggie on the head for me. :)

If there's any more issues, just give me a shout and I'll bring some home defense toys. ;)

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    You guys should enjoy a night out on the town for that. And make sure one of you guys gets a bone in ribeye tbone or porter house. Barney i believe would like the bone.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks all! Barney has gotten lots of treats, and I haven't gotten on him for taking over MY couch. He has his own love seat, but I'm giving him a few days of enjoyment on the couch before I put a stop to it. I figure he deserves it :)

Shadownick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Morristown, IN
    I'd definitely be keeping an eye out in case they decide to come back. Did she call the police? Awesome thing your dog was there, though, keeping an eye out for the family. :yesway: They always can tell who the bad guys are. I feel at ease here at school, leaving my mom with the gun safe and our 100~ pound weimaraner. Dogs are definitely man's best friend!

68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    Glad nothing happened . Rottie are awesome and very protective. I love my Rottie with me he is a big baby , but he keeps stranger at bay. Take good care of him and he will take care of you and yours.

Doc Unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    Good job by everyone!

And that's why we have an Argentine Mastiff...one look from him
    will freeze a stranger.....

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sounds like you got a great dog. 120 lb puppy?? How big will he get?

Yeah, no kidding!!!:D Who needs a gun? I read something somewhere a while back about Rotts and Pitbulls having a ton or close to that in jaw pressure?

Barney is 2 now, but I was told by the vet he has another year of growing left. His dad was 135, and nowhere overweight. So I'm a little nervous. My house isn't large enough for him.

And no cops were called. Didn't see the point, b/c the Marshall is pretty much the only cop in town, and only works in the morning sometimes.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Way to go Barney! Post a pic of your pup. He deserves star treatment.

photo2.jpg

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Doggies are the best security system around!

I have a Chow that's only around 50lbs. But any stranger that comes around she makes enough noise to wake the dead. I don't worry when I'm away from the house.cause she's on watch...literally! when we come home she's always up on her back legs, front paws on the window sill watching. Love my "Buttercup"! :patriot:

Top Bottom