Why you should have a plan (and a large dog)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilbur352

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    glad everything turned out ok... We were living up in NW indiana in the Merrillville/ Hobart area. My wife truck got broken into at work(hospital) then some guy(looked like a bum) in a old beat up truck shows up at our house. He knocked on the front door and she did not answer so then he went to the back door and she called me at work. I had to travel a lot for work and the wife did not like being home alone after this. So we had an alarm installed, got two Bullmastiffs and kept the XD45 where she could get.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Might be a good exuse to go to a gun shop and get the Mrs. a sidearm she can where while mowing. You can't be too careful these days with all the meth heads nut jobs out there.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Might be a good exuse to go to a gun shop and get the Mrs. a sidearm she can where while mowing. You can't be too careful these days with all the meth heads nut jobs out there.

This is great advice. Not to say that the dog can't handle things at home. My fiancé and both my parents now have their LTCH and my mom carries her PK380 most of the time now, which I think is awesome.

A nice sidearm is a great idea. It will give you both some peace of mind, I promise you that.

hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    +1 for Mr. Fife, a true best friend! I have a male Boxer, male Rednose Pitbull, and a male ****zu (my wifes gem) that patrol my yard. Although your dog knows instinctively to guard his territory you should look into doing some "bite work" protection training with em.

I purchase my equipment from: Dog harness , Dog collar , Dog leash , Dog muzzle - Dog training equipment from Trusted Direct Source - Home

Learn to guide his drive for protection and youll end up with a true Guardian!

Please remember that your DOG, not your Gun, should be used as a last resort. He will gladly lay his life down for you so no sense in making such a sacrifice for some scumbag, its just not worth the risk. He's your four legged kid.

Personally, I just need my dogs to wake me, and I can take it from there. My wife already knows to:
    1. Stay safe in our Master BR with both my boys watching the door.
    2. Get locked and loaded
    3. Call for help

As for myself, all I can say is... I hope the cops make it in time to save the bad guy. :))))

Last edited:

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    yep you owe it a steak,,sounds like they were up to no good for sure... i feed my english mastiff plenty that way the land mines he produces will slow thugs down.:laugh:

Top Bottom