• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    I'm not ashamed to admit I plug my branch of service on my car or on my head. Though I don't go around expecting to get military or vet discounts because of my service. Or try to force myself into someones conversation, and boast about being a vet or the things I seen or did.

I'm not sure about the other branches but I've had other Marines come up and strike up a conversation. Majority of them older Marines, but when it happens it was like we've known each for years. When I was in college I kept a low profile because majority of the kids would ask stupid questions, but was more than happy to talk to those who had legitimate questions.

I've had some younger folks come up while out and about and ask only because they were interested in joining. I find it a good way for them to hear what the military is really like instead of the recruiters sugar coating it so they can meet a quota. It also is an opportunity to tell them about the benefits they can and should use when they do get out so they can continue to better their lives.

Right on CPL , its called PRIDE. which a lot of people know nothing about.... 82-97 USAF

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not ashamed to admit I plug my branch of service on my car or on my head. Though I don't go around expecting to get military or vet discounts because of my service. Or try to force myself into someones conversation, and boast about being a vet or the things I seen or did.

I'm not sure about the other branches but I've had other Marines come up and strike up a conversation. Majority of them older Marines, but when it happens it was like we've known each for years. When I was in college I kept a low profile because majority of the kids would ask stupid questions, but was more than happy to talk to those who had legitimate questions.

I've had some younger folks come up while out and about and ask only because they were interested in joining. I find it a good way for them to hear what the military is really like instead of the recruiters sugar coating it so they can meet a quota. It also is an opportunity to tell them about the benefits they can and should use when they do get out so they can continue to better their lives.

Do recruiters even need to sugarcoat it anymore? I bump into LOTS of people who want to get into the military, and I'm thinking "good luck, it's not 1980." My dad recruited in Goldsboro, NC in the early 80s, then he said it was difficult meeting quotas. He says that today it would be infinitely easier.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There is a certain mindset that goes along with combat arms training and experience. Just because you were a TOC jockey next to the Battalion Commander and got a bronze star with the rest of the staff, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Yes, we love to call for fire. And higher likes to deny it as well. Someone who has done it can relate the physiological effects of adrenaline dump, etc., as well as how much it sucks after the fact to have taken human life. Is there an unrealistic hero worship for vets? Sometimes yes, but the experience does mean something. And just because you know, doesn't make you a good trainer. But a good NCO has just that sort of experience as well. It's a big part of our job. Heaven knows privates don't learn anything in basic anymore.
    I know a TOC jockey at a forward TOC who people described as looking like John Wayne when they were attacked and overrun. He came out of the bunker firing his M-16 and threw back grenades. I don't under appreciate nor do I underestimate those who serve or have served in supporting roles.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Can you be a good teacher if you lie about where you learned you stuff? Students will have to stake their lives on your claim. "When I was a Navy SEAL, they taught us to rack the pistol twice before shooting because that's combat tested!" Sure, someone can be effective at instruction, but being a good teacher means students can rely on the stuff you teach them. How can they trust you if you lie?
    I agree, but wonder just how much, if any, qualities like integrity and honesty count in today's society.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    23 years of Army service. Enlisted, NCO, and finally retired as a Captain. Joined in the late 70's and selected Armor because I wanted to do "real" army stuff. Recruiter said "why walk (Infantry) when you can ride". My time in line units was the most fun ever. This was all in the 80's and mostly at Ft Hood, Texas. Spent a lot of time in the field and learned the craft from mostly senior NCO's who were Vietnam vets for the most part. I volunteered for additional duties in the arms room for example because I liked that sort of thing. If I learned anything it was being responsible and accountable for your own actions. Be a stand-up guy, etc. I have a few medals, but nothing that involved getting shot at.

I always tell people that some of the greatest and most professional people I have met have been in the military. Guys (and some gals) who I would trust with my life. Amazingly competent soldiers.

My work takes me into VA hospitals all over the country. I am humbled by what I see. Sure, I see the old WW2 men slowly dwindling in numbers, with the Korean, and Vietnam generations up next. But what strikes a chord with me is when I'm in a regional rehab center like up in Minneapolis and see the 27 year old female soldier, double amputee from an IED, in the facility and her parents helping her with her care. Or another soldier, the same age, having been blinded with detached retinas as a result of an IED.

Yes, I can get pretty bitter if I think someone is making ***** up about their alleged service. Anyway, I enjoy the comments made on this forum- LOTS of good people!!

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I was with 2AD, 1989 - 1992, so do you miss Killeen :):

Hell On Wheels, eh?

Ha Ha! Killeen = "D Street" Yikes! I was a barracks rat and later, lived in Copperas Cove. I tell my boys- "I had it made- I was an E-5, had a single room on a floor of single rooms, mess hall next door, car, motorcycle, and money in my pocket". :cool:

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I was a door gunner on a helicopter gunship back in the late sixties. I was awarded the DFC the PH the air medal and several other goodies. I at no time ever considered myself any type of hero. The re-up NCO reminded me that after the Army all of those awards and 10 cents will get you a cup of coffee. I remember how nice it was after a late mission to get back home and the mess sergeant would open the mess hall and fix the air crews a hot meal. Everyone who served is a veteran no matter what their MOS (job) was.

Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    2zobv9h.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Okay, this is for someone who has taken his class. I certainly do not appreciate what Cory did and do not support it. But, is he a good instructor?

Does it matter if he is a good instructor or not? I don't care how good someone is at teaching, if they have no honor, they will not get any of my money.

Top Bottom