• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So the fact I served at The Pentagon during the Viet Nam war and I was not in combat means I should not be a member of The American legion? The Legion where I take care of the Honor Guard Rifles, and for the last 5 years have shown up and participated in all but one Funeral Detail for a Veteran that has passed, whether combat veteran or not.

BTW, the one detail I did miss I was in the hospital.

I served 50 years ago, and am still serving. No one ever asked for my oath back.
    Just do what you have been doing and you still get my respect. I have no reason to believe that you have claimed to be anything other than what you were and what you are now. Carry on, Sir.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So the fact I served at The Pentagon during the Viet Nam war and I was not in combat means I should not be a member of The American legion? The Legion where I take care of the Honor Guard Rifles, and for the last 5 years have shown up and participated in all but one Funeral Detail for a Veteran that has passed, whether combat veteran or not.

BTW, the one detail I did miss I was in the hospital.

I served 50 years ago, and am still serving. No one ever asked for my oath back.

I might add, ever imagine what it takes for a 70+ year old man to stand at attention in 5 below weather for 1/2 an hour, or in 95+ degree heat for an hour or more? I know as do more than a few of my fellow Legion members.

Not a thing wrong with any of that so long as you aren't doing it to serve yourself. I was a member of the Legion for a year several years ago. I used to ride with the Patriot Guard quite a bit. Even that organization wasn't immune from those serving themselves.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I fail to see as to how I may be serving myself. At present I'm taking 2 Garands at a time to Jerry Johnson the gunsmith on my own dime to have chambers checked out as we've had problems with extraction. Granted the Legion will refund the for Jerry's work but the 50 mile trip one way is on me. This consists of 3 trips.

So I can not possibly be serving myself in anyway that I know of, well maybe, there are a few times when returning to the Legion I get a free cup of coffee. But then I spend another hour getting the rifles ready for the next detail, and the clips loaded.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I fail to see as to how I may be serving myself. At present I'm taking 2 Garands at a time to Jerry Johnson the gunsmith on my own dime to have chambers checked out as we've had problems with extraction. Granted the Legion will refund the for Jerry's work but the 50 mile trip one way is on me. This consists of 3 trips.

So I can not possibly be serving myself in anyway that I know of, well maybe, there are a few times when returning to the Legion I get a free cup of coffee. But then I spend another hour getting the rifles ready for the next detail, and the clips loaded.

You are not the type I've been speaking of.

I ride a Harley. I had countless t shirts that I wore before and after I got mine. Then I started paying attention to the bikes and their riders. If I saw a Harley in a restaurant parking lot, 99% of the time, I could pick the owner out within seconds of walking in. Theyve got the shirts, the doo rags, the whole 9 yards. It's become the same with veteran status. Plates, bumper stickers, flags, hats, shirts, jackets, the whole 9 yards. Why do some think that every single person to ever grace their presence must know they were a veteran if they aren't looking to get something out of it?

Told my wife while we were walking through Arlington that I don't want to be buried there. Probably don't qualify but wouldn't want to if I did. I don't want a military burial or a 21 gun salute. I turned down a military burial for my father who joined the guard to avoid Vietnam. I feel there are more important things people can be doing than standing over MY bag of bones.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You are not the type I've been speaking of.

I ride a Harley. I had countless t shirts that I wore before and after I got mine. Then I started paying attention to the bikes and their riders. If I saw a Harley in a restaurant parking lot, 99% of the time, I could pick the owner out within seconds of walking in. Theyve got the shirts, the doo rags, the whole 9 yards. It's become the same with veteran status. Plates, bumper stickers, flags, hats, shirts, jackets, the whole 9 yards. Why do some think that every single person to ever grace their presence must know they were a veteran if they aren't looking to get something out of it?

Told my wife while we were walking through Arlington that I don't want to be buried there. Probably don't qualify but wouldn't want to if I did. I don't want a military burial or a 21 gun salute. I turned down a military burial for my father who joined the guard to avoid Vietnam. I feel there are more important things people can be doing than standing over MY bag of bones.

Are you sure you don't like people to know you are a veteran?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Are you sure you don't like people to know you are a veteran?

No, just tired of people acting so put out by "fakers" when they're climbing over themselves to find heroes to worship. I'm not put out in the least if Cory and Erica or whoever the hell else wants to lie about their service. Their claims have zero bearing on me and cost me nothing because I choose not to worship at the feet of veterans. If someone claims to be a veteran, ok. It's going to take a lot more than stories to earn my respect for your veteran status. If someone can't help but tell everyone, I dismiss their stories of BS instead of claiming I was duped.

Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I do have a problem with people lying they served when indeed they did not... Cory is a fraud and his excuses are embarrassing to watch.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

Once again I would like to humbly thank you for what you do. I know my family deeply appreciated the honor guard at my father's funeral. I wish one day I can return the favor.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I watched the "making of" or whatever it was called of Band of Brothers. They interviewed several of the actors who played the different soldiers. One of them said he would talk to the guy he was portraying to get info on how to play the part and was actually getting kind of frustrated with him. He said the guys would only really tell stories about their fellow soldiers and not themselves. He finally figured out that if he wanted to portray that soldier, he was going to have to get the info from everyone else and not the guy he was portraying.

For guys who literally went to hell and back that refuse to toot their own horn, there's a big difference between them and guys walking around with "Viet Nam ERA Veteran" hats. I was in the guard unit 2003. I wonder what all kind of Afghanistan or Iraq ERA hats I can find.

Wow man there is nothing wrong with having some pride in your service. I see guys over at the VA hospital all the time that tell me "I never thought I would end up here". They worked all their lives and poof, one day the company is gone, their retirement is gone along with their health insurance. So they end up at the VA. And then they buy a hat to show who actually cares about them. Is that so wrong? I did a career in the USMC and I am proud of it. I wear a hat with USMC on. Nobody is taking away my feeling of pride of what I accomplished. And I wont rain on anyone else s parade. If a guy served a little and got an honorable discharge or served a lot or even gave all, he deserves some respect for what he did.

You develop a BS meter. Setting around in the waiting room I have found the guys talking the most did the least. If I get tired of listening to it I just tell them I'm a retired MSgt and they usually STFU. No big deal, for some guys their service is all they got left. There are more important things to complain about, like the liberals destroying the country or the rampant Islamic terrorism world wide.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Wow man there is nothing wrong with having some pride in your service. I see guys over at the VA hospital all the time that tell me "I never thought I would end up here". They worked all their lives and poof, one day the company is gone, their retirement is gone along with their health insurance. So they end up at the VA. And then they buy a hat to show who actually cares about them. Is that so wrong? I did a career in the USMC and I am proud of it. I wear a hat with USMC on. Nobody is taking away my feeling of pride of what I accomplished. And I wont rain on anyone else s parade. If a guy served a little and got an honorable discharge or served a lot or even gave all, he deserves some respect for what he did.

You develop a BS meter. Setting around in the waiting room I have found the guys talking the most did the least. If I get tired of listening to it I just tell them I'm a retired MSgt and they usually STFU. No big deal, for some guys their service is all they got left. There are more important things to complain about, like the liberals destroying the country or the rampant Islamic terrorism world wide.

Nothing wrong with a little pride.

I knew one of the infamous INGO fakers outside of here and when he was finally outed, so many were butthurt. I knew he was full of it one of the first few times I talked to him. I was out nothing because I gave him nothing. If I believed every sob store of panhandlers and gave them money, would people feel sorry for me and demand a Stolen Sympathy law or call me an idiot? People lie about their (non)service because they have something to gain by it.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I guess all that veteran worship has made many people forget basic common sense -- just because you served in some capacity doesn't mean you know much about fighting with guns, and just because you're the ultimate special ops badass doesn't mean you can teach to save your life.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I was talking to my wife about all this last night and I realized what made me uncomfortable about calling myself a veteran. It's really all about how words are used in the service as opposed to civilian life.

When I was in uniform, we referred to those who had been deployed to a combat zone (regardless of MOS or their experiences) as veterans. So when I left the military and friends started referring to me as a veteran it didn't feel right. The difference of course is that outside of the military the word is used more broadly to refer to everyone who has served in uniform.

It took me a while to get that difference, not sure why.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I guess all that veteran worship has made many people forget basic common sense -- just because you served in some capacity doesn't mean you know much about fighting with guns, and just because you're the ultimate special ops badass doesn't mean you can teach to save your life.

This... Especially at some public ranges... Have had many experiences where I have overheard people mention they were in the army only to have the RSO hovering behind their backs because they are acting like they never shot a gun before.... "Is that an M16?" "No, Its my AR SBR." "Thought so, because it doesnt look like what I shot in basic".

I give respect to all that serve and wish I served myself (parents talked me out when I was young and impressionable). But when it comes to firearms, prove you know something about firearms, whether you served or not, before I will take your advice.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Kinda reminds me of the fitness craze in the late 90's, several of those very slim and fit ladies were later exposed as having plastic surgery and liposuction.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This... Especially at some public ranges... Have had many experiences where I have overheard people mention they were in the army only to have the RSO hovering behind their backs because they are acting like they never shot a gun before.... "Is that an M16?" "No, Its my AR SBR." "Thought so, because it doesnt look like what I shot in basic".

I give respect to all that serve and wish I served myself (parents talked me out when I was young and impressionable). But when it comes to firearms, prove you know something about firearms, whether you served or not, before I will take your advice.
    What I usually think is show me that you actually can accurately shoot instead of talking my ears off about this cool tactical thing or that.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I warned people about all these tactical trainers popping up like weeds long ago and in this forum.

Something else you should be aware of. Those of us that retired may well be some old codgers that were taught things in the Military long ago that have changed. Here is just a simple example, those INGOer's that have shot a few times with me know I am still trying to break myself of the modified weaver stance and to shoot squared shouldered. When I was taught to use a 1911 back in the day the military taught the modified weaver stance. Now they teach a different method. That does not mean those of us taught the old way can't shoot or even the old way is necessarily wrong. There are advantages to both. So when you are on a range take into consideration what actually is being said. The old guy might actually know what he / she is talking about. It might just be so foreign to you its taken out of context.

Here is another example. Urban combat training. When I was taught house clearing we did a chant in our heads "two in the body, one in the head, your daily does of lead". I doubt in today's politically correct and even the Corp's now kinder and gentler era of not using profanity in boot camp that such a chant is no longer taught. And so I bet many of the methods have also changed. Just keep in mind, things change and not every one that was taught tactics in the military are tacticool operators.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Horse sense.

Hell Top Dog when I qualified with the 1911 (1968) we were taught to shoot it with one hand (the other hand being needed for the horse's reins). :)
    Actually that was the way we were taught and when we questioned the reasoning were told it was a hold over from the old cavalry and that it was felt that presenting your profile rather than facing the enemy made you a smaller target. Things do change. :cool:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Okay, this is for someone who has taken his class. I certainly do not appreciate what Cory did and do not support it. But, is he a good instructor?

Top Bottom