• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    How do I get my wife to "come around" and enjoy the pride of gun ownership? She won't touch it (stop right there...the gun) let alone shoot with me.;)

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    That is a pretty big task you have ahead of you there. I luckily have a wife that likes to shoot, she is not addicted like me, but likes to shoot :D Maybe if you have some friends that have wives that shoot, you could get her around them and they could convince her to give it a try?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    How do I get my wife to "come around" and enjoy the pride of gun ownership? She won't touch it (stop right there...the gun) let alone shoot with me.;)
    There are lots of ways, depending on what her background and personal history is.

One of the easiest, if your wife is agreeable to it, is to have her meet other women that shoot or carry. My wifey says that there is something different between having a man introduce her to something and having a woman introduce her to the same thing.

Show wifey that you are responsible with your firearm(s). Take training (if you can), keep unused firearms stored safely, etc. If you can reinforce to her that you are safe around firearms and firearms are safe in general, that's a benefit.

Ask her if she is interested in a "firearm basics" class, especially one conducted by women for women, and see what she says.

As you shoot at a range, invite her and friends with wives/girlfriends to come along as a social event. If those wives/girlfriends shoot, so much the better.

If your wife will engage in a discussion of firearms and the opportunity to talk to her about citizens using firearms to save themselves, family, etc., broach it with her.

A lot of this is dependent on what her history is. Did she have a bad experience with firearms before she met you? Has she been the victim of a violent crime before? Has she never been around a firearm before? Does she have misconceptions about firearms (they "go off" by themselves, only "bad guys" have firearms, etc.)?

I don't advise forcing the issue with your wife. My wife digs her heels in deep if I try to force her into a discussion or "seeing my side" of a discussion.

My wife has her LTCH and her own handgun. And remember, my wife's brother committed suicide with a pistol roughly 10 years ago. If she can be open to the idea of carrying a firearm, there is hope for most anybody.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My wife is paranoid about someone breaking into the house when I am not there... she does not want to shoot it till she get's training but I know that if someone broke in or was trying to when I was not there that things would not end well for them.

She is a little more open to them after we went to the southside meet and eat and she talked to some of the gun ladies there.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Yeah...what Annie said.

OR

See if you can get her to come out with some of us shooterchick folk! :) I'm in your area if ya can get her to agree to it! :) We could even do some shopping afterwards if that gets her excited! :)

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    The trick is to get her to try it. Most women I've taught to shoot have liked it and are often quite good at it. Definitely start with a 22. If the first experience is bad there won't be a second one. Is she competetive? Usually, they love to show us up. The suggestions about finding other women who shoot to help get started is good. See if you can find motivator for her. My wife always liked to shoot, but shied away from the idea of self-defense. But with being at home alone and some neighborhood break-ins, she quickly gained interest in a gun she liked to shoot and would keep it handy when she thought it was needed. (I'm not advocating you start breaking into homes into your area, just suggesting you figure out what she might see as valuable). I have a neighbor who's wife was really against guns, but he got a shotgun and a 22 and his wife decided it would be good to teach the kids to shoot so they at least knew gun safety. She's not exactly into it now, but at least not against it.
    If her concern is safety there is lots you can do to re-assure her. Go to a class together, get a safe, don't dry fire at the TV while watching Assult on Precinct 9.
    The final thought is to set the immediate goal aside and work on a long-term plan. Not to be too Dr. Phil about this, but if you've got a lot of hobbies she might see this as another toy for you and nothing for her. You might need to agree to invest some time and resources into something she likes that you can do together and if that goes well she might be more willing to try out something you're into.
    Worst case scenario, you have to take her somewhere you can rent a submachine gun. Even the most rabid anti-gun fanatic can't get over how much fun shooting on full auto is.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Or ambidextrous, like me.

I shoot a rifle left-handed, pistol right-handed.
    Throw with my left hand, bat with my right.
    Write right-handed, kick a ball left-footed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Do NOT do this:
    YouTube - Husband's Revenge!!

Seriously, though, lots of resources out there, some of them video, some on the web, some (probably the best ones) being INGO ladies. Much of the fact that she won't shoot is in WHY she won't. Get to the bottom of that and you may be able to start helping her to overcome that limitation.

Good luck and

Blessings,
    Bill

Mrs. SGT Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Portland
    I think the trick is getting her to try. I was terrified of guns until my husband took me target practicing. Now I am hooked. He started me with a .22 rifle. I am sure if he had given me anything more powerful, it would have scared me. Actually hitting the target made me feel pretty good too. lol

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    get her one of these:
    pink-gun.jpg

Top Bottom