• ...and so much more!
  • The PROFET

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Dawsonville Ga.
    women & guns

Here in ga. we shoot all the time, my wife & I started teaching our bible study ( kids & women & some guys) how to shoot, now we have regular competitions, and we love it.We also take them hunting.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    3 years ago my wife swore she would never allow a gun in her house... now she is shopping for a carry gun.

One of the biggest influences on her was seeing that regular people owned and carried guns. All kinds of people do, not just stupid slack jawed knuckle dragging hicks like the media would have you believe. She slowly realized they are not taboo or something to be ashamed of. She learned that some people she knew and respected had and carried guns. I also took advantage of opportunities to point out why various gun control measures just don't work and how guns are used for good. She slowly became quite the 2nd Amendment advocate.

She still didn't have any desire to actually shoot one. I took her shooting a couple times but neither time was under the best circumstances and she didn't really enjoy it. She decided to take Sheriff Campbell's class for safety reasons. She figured if we had them in the house, she should have a basic knowledge of how to use them and handle them safely. I sort of failed to tell her she could take a basic NRA class for that rather than a tactical pistol course :D She absolutely loved the class! We talked about it all night and she brought up that she needed to get something appropriate for carrying. She also started researching more classes.

My recommendation: don't push too hard, let her come around on her own. Make a point to nicely show her that "regular people" (whatever that means to her) have guns. If you can convince her... send her to Sheriff Campbell's Introduction to Defensive Pistol course. Forget the basic NRA classes that teach basic marksmanship. Campbell is a very motivating and persuasive speaker and the class is about DEFENSIVE PISTOL not just target shooting. Its not about punching holes in paper, its about shooting people who need shot. It sure got my wife excited about it. I believe much more than target shooting would have.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    How do I get my wife to "come around" and enjoy the pride of gun ownership? She won't touch it (stop right there...the gun) let alone shoot with me.;)

It completely depends on why she is "anti-gun."

If it's because she's afraid of guns, that'll only change by being around guns and realizing they're completely safe as long as the owner/user is safe.

If it's because she's afraid of recoil, that'll change when you point out there's a lot of design features, as well as caliber choice, that can tame recoil.

If it's because she's against guns morally, because "criminals shouldn't have guns" - she just needs to realize the criminals DO have guns, and the only way to fight guns ... is with guns. And the law thing doesn't apply to criminals, by definition.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    How do I get my wife to "come around" and enjoy the pride of gun ownership? She won't touch it (stop right there...the gun) let alone shoot with me.;)
    To you, and herby 31, June 2010, Blue Press, has an article about " How to get your girlfriend to shoot", it is a good read...
    it is written by a woman...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My recommendation: don't push too hard

I disagree to some extent.

If it's a simple fear of guns (because of lack of experience) or recoil or loud noises, and she's expressed ANY interest in shooting but can't get over those issues, she just might have to be "forced" to join the significant other at the range and "get over it." Granted, this has to be done with much love and patience.

Honestly, I think most women who fall into this category of "anti" gun are hoping their menfolk will exert a little control and domination. Fear is a powerful factor and the more it's allowed to rule a decision, the harder it is for that individual to overcome it on her own. But having the security and comfort of someone she trusts completely guide her through the process is stronger than the fear. It's a weird psychology. I go through it with my husband all the time. Not generally on firearms issues, but other things. I let him "own" it and when it doesn't blow up in our faces, I'm game to try. :D

Now, if she's politically opposed to firearms because she's ignorant or just plain stupid, that's a whole 'nother ball game. I suggest not hooking up with one in the first place. But if that's not an option, I suppose one would just have to deal with something else for the wifey to nag the hubby about. I once read about someone who had his friends "kidnap" his wife, but I would suggest that only if you're looking for an alimony payment and possible jail time.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I disagree to some extent.

I mostly meant don't be a jerk about it.

I talked with my wife after posting my comment and asked her specifically about the class I had her take. She agreed that if she went to a basic NRA class she probably would not have experienced the same change as she did with the defensive pistol class. Coming from a woman who used to think shooting silhouettes was disgusting, it was the tacticool defensive stuff that hooked her.

And the instructors are just incredible there.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Try telling her that Firearms are for men only. Then get out of the way. Mine would buy a Bazooka if I told her that.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Honestly, I think most women who fall into this category of "anti" gun are hoping their menfolk will exert a little control and domination.

having the security and comfort of someone she trusts completely guide her through the process is stronger than the fear. It's a weird psychology.

Yes and no. It takes a certain "type" of person on the receiving end of that to take it well and make the whole situation productive...and on the other side, there's a fine line between "exerting control" and being an asshat. Some men think barking orders and being bossy is the way to lead. All that comes down to (with those types) is being a jerk.

Like you, I prefer an instinctive leader with natural dominance...and understanding the relationship interplay, it's easy to determine "leader" from "jerk".

acyork50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Seriously! - I have been married a long time - you never get them turned around - don't always try for a solution - just listen and listen and listen and listen. I know - it hurts! Did I mention listen? And then go shooting!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The trick is to get her to try it. Most women I've taught to shoot have liked it and are often quite good at it. Definitely start with a 22. If the first experience is bad there won't be a second one.
    Indeed, I don't know how many women have been inoculated against the love of firearms forever, by some jerk handing them a .45 or a 12 ga with no warning of recoil, just to get his kicks but watching them get beat up by the gun!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I mostly meant don't be a jerk about it.

I talked with my wife after posting my comment and asked her specifically about the class I had her take. She agreed that if she went to a basic NRA class she probably would not have experienced the same change as she did with the defensive pistol class. Coming from a woman who used to think shooting silhouettes was disgusting, it was the tacticool defensive stuff that hooked her.

And the instructors are just incredible there.

Oh, yes, then, I agree. I was just commenting that sometimes its takes one helluva "push." I think guys can try to avoid pushing too much and fall just short of getting her over that hump of fear and discomfort. And, of course, the differences in the people involved will always have to be taken into account.

Yes and no. It takes a certain "type" of person on the receiving end of that to take it well and make the whole situation productive...and on the other side, there's a fine line between "exerting control" and being an asshat. Some men think barking orders and being bossy is the way to lead. All that comes down to (with those types) is being a jerk.

Like you, I prefer an instinctive leader with natural dominance...and understanding the relationship interplay, it's easy to determine "leader" from "jerk".

I covered all of that with "Granted, this has to be done with much love and patience." ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom