• ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    What about a 9mm upper?

Not a bad suggestion. I hadn't considered that to be honest. What would be the max range for 9mm in SBR and how big are the magazines? Are they expensive to build? Is it better to get a dedicated 9mm lower or one of the conversion blocks? Is there a certain barrel length that works best? I honestly don't expect you to know all the answers but have to put it out there.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    i can't help much but to say my wife loves my 5.7 upper and ps90. they are so easy to shoot. ammo is expensive but if you look around you can find it for a decent price. the ammo is suppose to be semi annoying to reload. my wife also has no problems shooting my 5.56.

How much is ammo running you? Is your 5.56 a SBR or pistol config? I ask only because that is what this build will turn into.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Not a bad suggestion. I hadn't considered that to be honest. What would be the max range for 9mm in SBR and how big are the magazines? Are they expensive to build? Is it better to get a dedicated 9mm lower or one of the conversion blocks? Is there a certain barrel length that works best? I honestly don't expect you to know all the answers but have to put it out there.

I don't know about max range but I'd assume around 100 yards.

There would be the added expense of a 9mm magazine block.

The magazines up to 30 rounds as far as I know.

I'm planning on getting a conversion block so it can be removed and the lower can be used for other calibers.

As far as I know the barrel length doesn't matter with 9mm but I'm sure the longer you go the more accurate it will be.

There are a few "9mm SBR threads" on here now.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I don't know about max range but I'd assume around 100 yards.

There would be the added expense of a 9mm magazine block.

The magazines up to 30 rounds as far as I know.

I'm planning on getting a conversion block so it can be removed and the lower can be used for other calibers.

As far as I know the barrel length doesn't matter with 9mm but I'm sure the longer you go the more accurate it will be.

There are a few "9mm SBR threads" on here now.
    If you don't mind me asking. How much you gonna have into it all told? Are you building or buying the upper?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This was sort of suggested above, but what about going 5.56, knowing you can always drop in a .22 conversion if the recoil is just too much for her?

Or does that defeat the purpose by also having a GSG5?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    This was sort of suggested above, but what about going 5.56, knowing you can always drop in a .22 conversion if the recoil is just too much for her?

Or does that defeat the purpose by also having a GSG5?

The. 22 conversion holds no appeal because of the gsg5. I don't own any 5.56 uppers or ammo. All of my experiences have been with my fathers Armalite in 5.56. I like some aspects of it but have never shot a SBR version. This is my ultimate goal, to build a SBR after running it as a pistol until I get next bonus check.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I can get a 12 inch upper for $600 shipped. Even less if I can get a group buy together. I have already talkedto a company willing to haggle on price depending how many I order.

OK. That's reasonable. I just don't see any use for the caliber other than a fun gun and the ammo is too expensive for a lot of fun:):

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    [STRIKE]Not sure if this helps any, but Classic Arms has boxes of 70 rounds of 5.7x28 for $9.95. It gets down to $8.95/box if you buy 11 or more boxes.[/STRIKE]

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I knew I had to be missing something. Carry on.

Last edited:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Yeah it's about the same.

I seriously am open to all calibers. The lack of recoil and ability for follow up shots....
    The 5.7 some serious positives for being a SBR round. I have seen some less than desirable performance from 5.56 rounds so the 5.7 rounds being plinking rounds doesn't hold water. I seriously am torn between 5.56 and 5.7. Anyone close to Roanoke got a 5.7 and 5.56 upper that I can compare. I will bring the ammo

Top Bottom