• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greenway84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    My wife goes out of town about once month on business. Sometimes I go with her, but for the times I can't I would like her to have protection. Guidlines:

Revolver
    Low recoil
    Short enough barrel to conceal
    Low budget (200 max)

I realize that budget isn't much, but that's what I got. Any sguggestions would be appriciatted.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Please take a look at this thread. It will give you some insight. There are a lot more in this forum as well that you might find of help.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html

Is there a particular reason you are wanting a revolver? Please don't say that women can't handle anything else because most people here will probably recommend against a revolver. Obviously though it's up to your wife. She is the one that needs to be comfortable with it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Please take a look at this thread. It will give you some insight. There are a lot more in this forum as well that you might find of help.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html

Is there a particular reason you are wanting a revolver? Please don't say that women can't handle anything else because most people here will probably recommend against a revolver. Obviously though it's up to your wife. She is the one that needs to be comfortable with it.

I don't recommend against a revolver. I DO, however, recommend against a snubby for a new shooter, be they male or female. A four inch revolver isn't particularly light or small, so to meet the needs you've stated, it would have to be a snubby. Is your wife an experienced shooter? If not, snubbies aren't usually low recoil in a caliber powerful enough to be effective. Wadcutters are lower recoil in a snubby, and a decent defensive round, though not optimal.

$200 doesn't get you as far as it used to... not even in the used gun market.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I was thinking about a 3 inch barrell. With ammo I could go around $300. Yes she is dead set on a revolver, because that's what both her grandma and mother carry.

Should be able to find a used Taurus Model 85 for that. They used to make a 3" barrel, but it'll take some looking to find one! If you can't find a 3", try to find a plain Model 85 instead of the Ultralight. The regular gun is about 23 ounces, IIRC, and that helps reduce recoil.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    For less than $300, you might be able to find a Rossi, Charter or Taurus snub. It's not what I would recommend but as you said, the lovely wife is dead set on a revolver. Best of luck.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In that price range you should probably look for a used Taurus Model 85 or a Charter Arms. Of the two I would go with the Model 85. They are good shooters and rugged. A bit heavy for a snub, but a good value. The Ultra Light models will cost more.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Centerfire Systems is selling "model 200" & "model 206" .38 Specials for $199. These inexpensive revolvers are Armscor... the same folks of the inexpensive Rock Island 1911s.

AC-M200-B.jpg

AC-M206-B.jpg

The Charters are $299 before shipping / transfer.

CHARTER-UNDERCOVER-rt-B.jpg

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was thinking about a 3 inch barrell. With ammo I could go around $300. Yes she is dead set on a revolver, because that's what both her grandma and mother carry.

She might want to choose what feels right to her and not necessarily what others carry.

If the options in your price range just don't feel right to her, save a little longer. Would be better for you to arrange to accompany her on her next trip or two rather than spending the money on something she ultimately wouldn't like.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    for your wif i would suggest snubby revoler in a .22 , a .22 does more damage than a .38 due to the fact it bounces around

Long term damage / lethality vs stopping someone are two very different things. I don't want to be shot with a .22. I would never take a .22 revolver over .38 revolver for close distance human deterrent.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My wife just tried her Kel-Tec P11 for the first time on Saturday and discovered she can shoot it, but she can't rack the slide, so we'll be looking for a revolver. Perhaps her first one will be a .22mag, then we'll try a .38 spl. I had a 5-shot Charter Arms .38 snubby back in the mid-80s and I liked it a lot. Wasn't a big shooter then, but it worked pretty well, and I put some rounds through it without trouble, if that's any help to you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    In that price range you should probably look for a used Taurus Model 85 or a Charter Arms. Of the two I would go with the Model 85. They are good shooters and rugged. A bit heavy for a snub, but a good value. The Ultra Light models will cost more.

The light models have hella recoil (well, I should say muzzle flip) as well. The 85ULT is my purse gun. The muzzle whips up something firece. Recoil isn't that bad because it's not made for the .357 loads.

for your wif i would suggest snubby revoler in a .22 , a .22 does more damage than a .38 due to the fact it bounces around

Terminal ballistics aside, there's something to be said for a firearm that the shooter hardly feels and will therefore feel comfortable using. Eight or nine rounds of .22 are better than nothing, and that's just what she'll have if she hates a .38/.357.

Lots of people defend themselves with .22s and live to tell about. Besides, having/presenting the firearm is more than half the battle in a lot of cases.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My wife just tried her Kel-Tec P11 for the first time on Saturday and discovered she can shoot it, but she can't rack the slide, so we'll be looking for a revolver. Perhaps her first one will be a .22mag, then we'll try a .38 spl. I had a 5-shot Charter Arms .38 snubby back in the mid-80s and I liked it a lot. Wasn't a big shooter then, but it worked pretty well, and I put some rounds through it without trouble, if that's any help to you.

Not even with the "push the frame instead of pull the slide" method? That's one stiff spring.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

My wife has the same problem. Arthritis in the hands and wrist. So in her case this is not a training issue, but a medical. Plus she is a south paw to boot. She discovered that she can work the slide on the new Walther PK380. DAO revolvers can be difficult to pull the trigger, and the ultra light models (which are now common place) can be a handful. She decided on the Walther as opposed to a revolver.

I had a nice all steel Taurus Model 85 snubby that would have worked as well. Heavy but that helped soak up the recoil. Wife wanted nothing to do with the revolver.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The light models have hella recoil (well, I should say muzzle flip) as well. The 85ULT is my purse gun. The muzzle whips up something firece. Recoil isn't that bad because it's not made for the .357 loads.

You are spot on! Us gun owners are quick to point out that revolvers are great for people that have difficulty with an auto. Unfortunately we forget that light guns, especially short barreled revolvers can have quite a bark. The heavier all steel guns with .38 special were not nearly so bad. Far example a Ruger SP101 is actually fairly pleasant to shoot.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My wife was dead set on a revolver until two things happend.

1 - She shot a revolver and in double action the trigger was not fun for her to shoot at the range.

2 - The nail in the coffin, she held and shot a glock 19. Sign sealed and delivered. She loves it.

Top Bottom