• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I was planning to visit Wilbur Wright this weekend to do some shooting with my father, since he has never shot a rifle. I've been trying to get out there with him for a while now, but I've been scheduled weekends at work for the past month, and that's the only time my father is off work. Then it started to occur to me that it may be closed due to the government shutdown, since it's a DNR range. Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to cancel my trip if it happens to be open, but I'm not driving that far just to find out it's closed. Any information would be appreciated.

PS. I already tried calling the number listed on IN.gov but I just get a disconnect tone.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I was planning to visit Wilbur Wright this weekend to do some shooting with my father, since he has never shot a rifle. I've been trying to get out there with him for a while now, but I've been scheduled weekends at work for the past month, and that's the only time my father is off work. Then it started to occur to me that it may be closed due to the government shutdown, since it's a DNR range. Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to cancel my trip if it happens to be open, but I'm not driving that far just to find out it's closed. Any information would be appreciated.

PS. I already tried calling the number listed on IN.gov but I just get a disconnect tone.

The only difference will be that the NSA cameras are off and can't record the gun owners license number. :dunno:

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Why, is Indiana's goverment shutting down?

I honestly didn't know if the DNR was federal or state funded. But now that I think about it, it would make more sense to be state funded.

The only difference will be that the NSA cameras are off and can't record the gun owners license number. :dunno:

I'm taking it as the range is open. Awesome!

Support private ranges.

There, problem solved.

I would if funds permitted and I found one that I enjoyed the atmosphere. I just don't have a lot of extra money laying around after forking over what they want for ammo nowadays. Plus I'm not a big fan of watching the clock during my, all too scarce, range time. Plus, I do believe I pay for this range with my taxes.

Von Mises

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Undisclosed Location
    I would if funds permitted and I found one that I enjoyed the atmosphere.
    Private ranges wouldn't cost so much if there were more members.

I just don't have a lot of extra money laying around after forking over what they want for ammo nowadays.
    Then buy less ammo or wait until you have enough for a range trip. Don't buy all the ammo you want then expect tax payers to subsidize your range time.

Plus I'm not a big fan of watching the clock during my, all too scarce, range time.
    Then start your own range, but don’t expect others to subsidize your range time.

Plus, I do believe I pay for this range with my taxes.
    Then tell your legislators to stop forcing us to pay for shooting ranges rather than expecting others to subsidize your range time.

There, problem solved yet again.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise

Then buy less ammo or wait until you have enough for a range trip. Don't buy all the ammo you want then expect tax payers to subsidize your range time.

Then start your own range, but don’t expect others to subsidize your range time.

Then tell your legislators to stop forcing us to pay for shooting ranges rather than expecting others to subsidize your range time.

Geeze. Someone is awfully upset here. I don't buy a lot of ammo. The last time I bought some was in August when I found a 100 round value pack at Walmart. My ammo supply stands at less than 200 rounds between 3 calibers. I just graduated college and am getting married next month. Finances are tight. I was planning on going to a pistol range if Wilbur Wright was not open, but I'd rather have a place to shoot the rifle.

You don't know my story, so quit acting like you do.

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Have you attempted to call the range and see if anyone answers?

Edit: Didn't read far enough, sorry.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The DNR is state funded, don't know why the Fed shut down would affect it.
    Just answer the dudes question, geez.

And yes, he mentioned above that he attempted to call.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

Looney is correct. The ranges are state operated, not federal. Go ...shoot...enjoy. :rockwoot:

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg

You sir are a problem solver and one seriously arrogant person. I pray I never shoot next to you at your elitist private range.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Someone pissed in your lunch bucket again, didn't they?

You really ought to figure out why they keep doing that!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Geeze. Someone is awfully upset here. I don't buy a lot of ammo. The last time I bought some was in August when I found a 100 round value pack at Walmart. My ammo supply stands at less than 200 rounds between 3 calibers. I just graduated college and am getting married next month. Finances are tight. I was planning on going to a pistol range if Wilbur Wright was not open, but I'd rather have a place to shoot the rifle.

You don't owe anyone an explanation. But since you mentioned it Congrats on getting through college and your up coming marriage. Best of luck to your future!

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I would if funds permitted and I found one that I enjoyed the atmosphere. I just don't have a lot of extra money laying around after forking over what they want for ammo nowadays. Plus I'm not a big fan of watching the clock during my, all too scarce, range time. Plus, I do believe I pay for this range with my taxes.

I believe your response was the exact type of atmosphere he was referring to. You were too quick to jump n his rear end to understand that he was saying; private ranges are affordable until it comes time to purchase ammo as they jack the prices up. Most private ranges I know of, unless you're referring to something like Old Trails Rifle and Pistol Club, require you to purchas ether ammo which allows them to charge $1.50/round for WWB 9mm ammo.

If my only option were to shoot at your private range or hand over all my rifles to BO, I may just hand them over.

Von Mises

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Undisclosed Location
    Geeze. Someone is awfully upset here. I don't buy a lot of ammo. The last time I bought some was in August when I found a 100 round value pack at Walmart. My ammo supply stands at less than 200 rounds between 3 calibers. I just graduated college and am getting married next month.Finances are tight. I was planning on going to a pistol range if Wilbur Wright was not open, but I'd rather have a place to shoot the rifle.

Not upset, simply pointing out the obvious. And yes, I do know your story because you just told it to me. All I'm saying is if you can't afford to do something then don't do it. But don't look for tax payers to subsidize your hobbies. So I wan't acting like I know your story, because it doesn't matter.

Tell you what, this summer, some of the younger engineers I work with are going to get my old dozer running so we can push up a backstop. You can come out and shoot any time I can make it. 1,343 yards at no cost. It may be the longest privately owned range in the state next to Atterbury. No,this will not or ever will be operated commercially. I just want a safe place to shoot some distance without driving to Hillside or Wildcat Valley.

But I'm warning you,you'll have to put up someone the Tea Party said “believes in too much freedom.”

You sir are a problem solver and one seriously arrogant person. I pray Inever shoot next to you at your elitist private range.
    Lol, I pray I never shoot with you either. Someone who would rather call names rather than offer an argument based on reason hasn't the mental capacity to observe basic firearm safety.

Someone pissed in your lunch bucket again, didn't they?
    You really ought to figure out why they keep doing that!
    Obviously you missed the point, but I think you would get it. Rather than explain it to you, perhaps it would have more impact if you would read some Richard J. Maybury, Frederic Bastiat, and Ludwig von Mises.

I believe your response was the exact type of atmosphere he was referring to. You were too quick to jump n his rear end to understand that he was saying; private ranges are affordable until it comes time to purchase ammo as they jack the prices up. Most private ranges I know of, unless you're referring to something like Old Trails Rifle and Pistol Club, require you to purchas ether ammo which allows them to charge $1.50/round for WWB 9mm ammo.

If my only option were to shoot at your private range or hand over all my rifles to BO,I may just hand them over.
    What atmosphere? Private ranges have every financial incentive to provide an experience that will result in return business. It wasn't my intent to jump on his “rear end” but merely point out that there are alternatives which promote the private sector.

I've been to nine private ranges, indoor and out, and have fired nothing but my hand loads in my weapons. So I don't understand what you mean by “most” private ranges. Care to name them? I don't want to go there either.

The only time I had to buy ammo was when I rented an Uzi at Applied Ballistics. You see,a friend from Germany was in town and he had never fired a weapon inall his 34 years. So I wanted to make his first time something to remember. The weapon belonged to the range and they specified the ammo. Fair enough.

I've only been to one subsidized range, and that was camp Atterbury. There was a range nazi up in a woman's face with a bullhorn. Since the range was cold, she had her hearing protection off and you could tell by the way she grabbed her ear, winced and knelt as she turned that it was painful. After offering to support her should she decide to file suit, as others did, I figured I had seen enough of that place.

Still, it's a good place to get powder.

But really, if you'd rather give you guns to o-bummer than shoot at my range (If I had one). Then that says far more about you than it does about me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom