Will there be a glut of used in guns in the future?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The co-owner of the local gun store said selling to these people who don't know about firearms is something he worries about.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    over a month ago I bought a Sub 2000, online for $350. Today I drove past a gun store, and it was crowded, like a black friday sale. Thought about just seeing if I could get someone to pay alot of money for it, and buy later.....I still have it and will keep it til the boat accident....

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I was happy to see my liberal home state of NY sell out of firearms - not of the circumstance but that the libs can see one of the reasons for the 2A.

My gut feeling on that one is we're going to see a lot more Joe Bidens out there that get to tell us, "I support 2A, i even own a gun, but..." then blah blah blah that our 600 round clipazines are scary and their NY guns have all the bullets anyone needs, and blah blah blah.

I hope I'm wrong. I sincerely do.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    It's not likely to be a bunch of S&W revolvers or steel-framed Sig pistols showing up on the used market. It's going to be a bunch of Taurus, Sccy, Hi-point, etc.

Panic buying is almost certainly focused on the very low end of the market.

You're probably right on the S&W Revolvers and Steel Sigs not driving the surge, but I think you may be slightly off on the low end market being a big chunk of it. Tax Return Money + Gun Run will probably be mid-tier market driven. Plastic guns for sure, but A LOT of Glocks are running out the doors. Ruger and Smiths as well. Well known brands are likely seeing a push (I've heard of Ruger, and want 9mm, so I'll buy that), as it seems like a lot of newer gun owners who have been waiting for the push to buy are making the plunge (as well as some others who are simply buying).

All of that being said, panic sell-off may be people hard pressed for cash, so I could be 100% wrong.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would pay what I paid for my first M&P 2.0 Compact to have a second if one of these new owners decides to let it go.

On another note, we at INGO are a small part of the firearm community. And within INGO, I believe there is a low percentage of us that are really into firearms and invest the time to train and practice and compete.

I have a coworker who is caught up in all this doomsday stuff and decided she wanted a Kimber Micro 9 Bel Air. Why? Because it's teal with ivory "handles". I jumped into my usual mode and immediately told her that was not the gun for a first time gun owner, manual or arms, dependability, blah, blah. Then sent her pics of a G19, Shield, 2.0 Compact. She said, "but those are not as pretty as the Kimber."

That night I sent her a message that if she wanted to talk more in depth, I would be happy to spend some time with her. She didn't respond. Then I got to thinking: what the hell, if she wants the Kimber, then buy it. She probably won't put a box of rounds through it and it will sit somewhere looking all pretty and flashy. It really doesn't matter what you buy if you are not going to use it in the first place.

Of course, I'd be happy if she would be serious about this and do the right things, buy the proper firearm for her, get training, and practice. But I don't think that is the reality of most people. including her.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    A glut really only exists when a lot of guns come up *for sale* as opposed to just existing. It's pretty easy to stash a "panic buy" pistol in a shoebox or drawer or something under the bed. I'm guessing that many of these panic-buy guns just float around off the market for awhile if they are going to new buyers.

If they are going to another kind of gun owner who just panic-bought his 44th CZ75 because he didn't have one of that year, well then maybe it will hit the market sooner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This happened after Sandy Hook when so many Noobs rushed the counters in the big box stores and paid way too much for the wrong guns and never shot them.

We had a tidal wave of new members rife with chasing the ads to buy/sell thinking it was the new thing to a quick buck. That wave died out when it crashed on the beach. The classifieds were full of seriously over priced guns that most likely never sold and if they did it was another NOOB wanting it as the LGS was empty.
    When you would talk to those people they were adamant not to loose a nickel on a gun they paid 30%+ too much for from the get.

I doubt you bargain hunters will have your fantasy's fulfilled.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Will there be a glut of used guns in our future? (shakes Magic 8 Ball) "Signs point to YES"

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Anticipating lots of guns that I don't want, priced at what they paid during panic times plus 10%.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This happened after Sandy Hook when so many Noobs rushed the counters in the big box stores and paid way too much for the wrong guns and never shot them.

We had a tidal wave of new members rife with chasing the ads to buy/sell thinking it was the new thing to a quick buck. That wave died out when it crashed on the beach. The classifieds were full of seriously over priced guns that most likely never sold and if they did it was another NOOB wanting it as the LGS was empty.
    When you would talk to those people they were adamant not to loose a nickel on a gun they paid 30%+ too much for from the get.

I doubt you bargain hunters will have your fantasy's fulfilled.

Ha, that's often true for the INGO classifieds even in the last couple months when it was a buyers market. I've pretty much found if you don't price it right at the outset and it doesn't sell within the first day or two it probably won't, and definitely not after the 20th bump without changing anything lol.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Ha, that's often true for the INGO classifieds even in the last couple months when it was a buyers market. I've pretty much found if you don't price it right at the outset and it doesn't sell within the first day or two it probably won't, and definitely not after the 20th bump without changing anything lol.

It also depends on the buyers taste even if priced fairly. Also if that item is a C&R and info needs to be recorded.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I do not know about guns, but with everyone staying in it appears that some "I just decided to clean out the safe, and found this"...……...posts are appearing, just happened to find a couple boxes of ?!? at say $1.00 a round.
    An arm and a leg a case, your first born, for a carton of surplus.
    Glad I am happy with what I have.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I do not know about guns, but with everyone staying in it appears that some "I just decided to clean out the safe, and found this"...……...posts are appearing, just happened to find a couple boxes of ?!? at say $1.00 a round.
    An arm and a leg a case, your first born, for a carton of surplus.
    Glad I am happy with what I have.

Some of those I can see between the lines and some I can see as legit based on the users info.

Top Bottom