GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’m one of those furloughed. I’d go back tomorrow if asked. Not that it would make much difference in my answer but I know my employer will probably make it insufferable when folks start going back. (I believe a few have gone back in this week).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Right now, some people are actually going in to the office but as of now they're required to wear a mask. I'm going to do my best not to have to go in as long as that's a requirement. I start getting claustrophobic wearing even a bandana over my face while just going to stores now. No way I could work a full day in a mask, so as long as they have that requirement in place, I'm going to do my best to keep working from home until all restrictions are lifted.

I will try to work from home as long as they will let me once they start paying me again. However, I suspect they won't take me off furlough until they are ready to have me in the office. My CEO/President prefers her people to be in the office.

Which is kinda funny to me since I'm in sales and I travel a lot to our plants and our customers, plus I work all kinds of hours outside of the normal 8-5.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Poll results don’t shock me as I expected a pretty strong work ethic among forum participants. Work hard, play hard.

I’m lucky to be in a business the governor has chosen not to totally destroy (for another two weeks) like so many other jobs. Been working 60+ hour weeks so most employees can be home in their pajamas “working” and getting a paycheck.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I’m essential. :):

(like 99.9% of business)

No, but we shut down for 2 weeks. Owner said we’d shut down and not risk our older workers getting it. When we came back we had over 80 emails from rolls royce complaining about us shutting down and wanting their parts. Been back at work since April 7 th.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’m essential. :):

(like 99.9% of business)

No, but we shut down for 2 weeks. Owner said we’d shut down and not risk our older workers getting it. When we came back we had over 80 emails from rolls royce complaining about us shutting down and wanting their parts. Been back at work since April 7 th.

Automotive here...essential...but plants closed. Our CEO took upon herself to speak to the customers as to why she was shutting manufacturing down despite being essential.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm furloughed, and would go back, but as others said above, that's dependent on my employer. We are automotive, the purchase of our product can be put off, and many customers are doing exactly that, so the market will decide whether we/I have a job or not.

Filed for unemployment for the first time in my over half-century life. Have this 50/50-ish feeling that my career as currently constituted is already over, I just don't know it yet, and if not _this_ pandemic, then the next one. It will really affect some people's retirement planning, I believe, since this pandemic drill is the most unpredictable type of economic disruption we've yet faced, and I see nothing preventing it from happening again.

My employer is Japanese, 100% opposed to working from home, and 100% dedicated to open-office work environments with maxium distraction, maximum potential for disease transmission, and minimum productivity.

100% certain that when we return, reasonable efforts will be made to make it insufferable for everyone involved... :yesway: :drool:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm furloughed, and would go back, but as others said above, that's dependent on my employer. We are automotive, the purchase of our product can be put off, and many customers are doing exactly that, so the market will decide whether we/I have a job or not.

Filed for unemployment for the first time in my over half-century life. Have this 50/50-ish feeling that my career as currently constituted is already over, I just don't know it yet, and if not _this_ pandemic, then the next one. It will really affect some people's retirement planning, I believe, since this pandemic drill is the most unpredictable type of economic disruption we've yet faced, and I see nothing preventing it from happening again.

My employer is Japanese, 100% opposed to working from home, and 100% dedicated to open-office work environments with maxium distraction, maximum potential for disease transmission, and minimum productivity.

100% certain that when we return, reasonable efforts will be made to make it insufferable for everyone involved... :yesway: :drool:

Our company is also 100% Japanese. And over half of our customer base is Japanese.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Automotive here...essential...but plants closed. Our CEO took upon herself to speak to the customers as to why she was shutting manufacturing down despite being essential.
    Ya I thought what our owner did was awesome. She even paid us for the 2 weeks she shut down. Owners like that go a long way in my book, makes me want to work harder and do a better job for her. Glad yours gave a explanation and was willing to sacrifice her own money for her employees.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Evidently jelly jars and such are essential. They're making largemouth Ball pints on the next machine over. I could sort of see those as being important. About a week and a half ago I found a roll of saran wrap in my cooling booth. We were supposed to cover our computer keyboard with it. Eeeeeeyah. Whatever. So I made up a bottle of bleach water, and spray down everything I regularly touch a couple of times a day. Wednesday my shift supervisor handed me the official company version in a well marked spray bottle of their own. Thanks. Thursday he went around handing out cloth masks to us greybeards. Again, thanks. Of course, all salaried personnel have been required to wear them for a week now.
    So, to sum it up,. my company is as usual, behind the curve. And we employees, are, as usual, expendable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank God we have work.

Hopefully our work won't run dry due to others being paid not to work.

Most folks have no grasp of what this shutdown might just do to them in the long run.

Top Bottom