Will you help a lady choose her next rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm looking for a bolt-action rifle. Why? Because I don't have one, and I'd like to say I can competently shoot one. Target-shooting - 25 meters, mostly - but I'm not opposed to something with a larger caliber that I could take out to 100-200-300-400-500 yards, too.

Criteria?

• Quality - I will not be happy if I'm replacing pieces within the first month or it's super finicky and needs cleaned every 50 rounds or it needs some super-special bajillion dollar target ammo. It needs to be able to handle the weather and abuse.
    • Not too heavy. I don't need a 500 lb custom barrel. My goal is 4moa at any distance.
    • Fast-working bolt. I need to be able to work the bolt fast enough to get 10 good shots off in 40-ish seconds.
    • Pretty. :D
    The one I've found is a Savage 93R17, stainless, with a beautiful blue laminate stock. Obviously this doesn't fulfill the long range option, but it appears to do everything else.

Suggestions? Any experience with the Savage? Thanks!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Savage with AccuTrigger (I have a 12FCV in .223)
    Weatherby Vanguard (mine's in .30-06)
    Tikka T3 (don't own, but the action feels verrry smooth)

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    An option to try, just to toss out there.

Why not an M1? Yes it's 30-06 or 308, but given the weight of the rifle and being semi auto, I say it's worth a look.
    It will fill the need to 500m (and more) pleanty accurate, and I dare you to find a more beautiful firearm.

My ex used to shoot my M1 back in High School with no problems.

Like I say, just an option.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    she wants a bolt action, so the Garand is out.

what aboot a Mosin-Nagant? Pretty accurate, a lot of fun to shoot, cheap ammo and obviously reliable.

or a swiss k-31? those rifles are supposed to be excellente.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you are going to shoot it at 25m mostly I'd highly suggest a .22. They are fun and cheap to shoot. You can spend the extra on a REALLY nice scope. Maybe even a suppressor.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    there are so many good guns to choose from,winchester model 70,rem 700,savage,ruger m 77,browning a bolt,cz,tikka, but for the caliber the minimum would be 223,i would say research go check them out feel and cycle the weapon dont settle.stay with standard calibers thou.22-250,220 swift or 223 wsm are not rounds i would pick they are pricey.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I don't know how soon you want to buy this but one idea that would fulfill the 25 and sorta long range (out to 200 or so) would be a bolt action in 5.7X28. Savage will have theirs available soon. It will be based on the Model 25 frame which is a light varminter frame. This a medium weight rifle with a semi bull barrel, short action, detechable box magazine. Ammo isn't as expensive as .223 for an equal quality round (under $29 per 50 in bulk) and is plentiful online.

savage57.png

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Love the savages. I have several and all shoot great. As far as caliber the centerfire .22's are gonna cost more than the rimfires to keep shooting. The .223 will reach out far enough and be cheaper than the others.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    this to a tee, except ive broken the 300yd mark with mine:D

300 is where I stopped, I'd have to buy a scope with more adjustment or a 20moa bast to "click" out that far.. I had to take the scope off my .308 LTR to do it. I just shot it with a can and CCI CB ammo the moves at 710fps from 25yds out to 200yds, you wanna talk about some adjustment!! My dope book for my 452 is getting to be just a detailed as my .308 book.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I haven't heard any of you guys address the fourth point she asked for...which was that it be...."pretty".

I don't know how to address that want/need.

Antebellum, it sounds like you need to go rifle shopping. I really don't know how to advise you. All bolt guns made by a major manufacturer meet the first three of your criteria, Mil-surp rifles do too.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    You like the Savage. It is a great gun and fun to shoot. Go with your gut. But...if you want open sights for shooting at 25m, get an M44 Mosin. I shot one today. It was short and handled like a carbine. It will also get you used to shooting centerfire. Ammo is cheap and they are fun to shoot.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I like the mosin idea that others have suggested, what is the price range you are looking for??? I have a winchester 70 in .300 and a savage in 3006, both are excellent guns that were pretty cheap. If you are looking for a gun under 400 I would suggest a savage or a mossberg 4x4 in 270 or the mossberg 100 atr.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a Savage MKIIFV .22LR with heavy barrel and accu-trigger. It's way more accurate then I'm. With Wolf match ammo my best five shot group was quarter sized at 50 yards. In my opinion for the price you can not beat it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Depending on need for optics or not, my vote is for .223 in either a Savage or a 700. If you're only looking for 4MOA you can likely get by with a Savage Edge - their barrels will shoot less than that - the trigger will be the issue.

But, it likely won't be worse than your 10/22's factory trigger or an M1. Bud's always has 'em dirt cheap.

I have a Savage MarkII FV which is a "heavy" barreled bolt .22 w/ accutrigger, but it's "weight" isn't an issue at all. Nowhere near what my .920 barrel on my old 10/22 weighed.

I can't decide what my next goal is. Rifleman with irons or rifleman with a bolt action. I have setups for both and only time to practice for one. Hmmm..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom