Will you help a lady choose her next rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    no contest get a k-31. easy to shoot and very accurate.and it doesnt weight alot.

Sparky beat me to it!

A Swiss K31 is a great rifle and from what I understand normally in the top of military rifle competition shooting.

The rifle itself will only set you back about $250 and ammo is easily available.

It comes w/ a six (6) round magazine and an extremely smooth straight pull bolt.

Two other military rifles used in competition and normally extremely accurate are: #1) the Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55mm and the Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R. I don't have the Swede (yet...) but if you would care to try either of the others just let me know.

Good Luck,

Doug

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Wow, great feedback, everyone! Thanks! Apparently there's a limit to how many people I can quote at once, so let's see how this goes...

It sounds like the Savages are generally a good choice, so I'm happy to hear that. Sadly, my eyesight stinks, so irons aren't really an option right now. Astigmatism, bifocals...blah, blah. Scopes for me for now. There are a couple of bolt action rifles in my house already - Rem 700 and a Mosin - but both are pretty heavy for me. As for the M1s, agreed. Good rifles. Not a bolt action, though. And there's one sitting right beside me right now. ;) I should spend more time with it, though, too. I have trouble loading the clips - it's a little snug still - so I need to work on that.

.22s are definitely cheap to shoot. I'm not opposed to another to put with the 10/22s. I looked at the Marlins as a cheap option just to try out something with a bolt, but I kept getting distracted by the pretty blue Savage. :D It's a cross between the ones 451_Detonics and TwinSix posted. Price is less of an issue - as in anything up to $500 is probably okay. Above that I'll have to think a lot harder about it.

.22, .223 or 30-06 would all be good since we already have a running supply of ammo for those calibers. But I'm kinda interested in my other options. The 0988235.23x78923.32 options are confusing to me, but it would be good for me to figure out the differences between all those numbers!

But now I have some other rifles to consider. Thanks, everyone! I'm heading out to Cabela's to take another look tonight. We'll see what I come home with. :rockwoot:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I like the Ruger 77/22's. You want a little more range look at one in .22 mag or .22 Hornet. The .22 Hornet is a great round but a little pricey.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got a sporterized K31. I like that rifle. I really like 8mm Mausers but I can't find commercial ammo locally so there would probably be too much cleaning involved.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    If you have the 10/22s already then why not go for a 77/22 everything will be familiar to you and you can use the same mags in it as the 10/22 uses. Think simplicity.
    As with anything there are lots of good choices out there. Good luck and happy rifle hunting.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    If you have the 10/22s already then why not go for a 77/22 everything will be familiar to you and you can use the same mags in it as the 10/22 uses. Think simplicity.
    As with anything there are lots of good choices out there. Good luck and happy rifle hunting.

:ugh: Didn't even occur to me to look at those for that reason. That would've saved me the trouble of buying new mags, a new cleaning rod, separate ammo...

BUT I'm really happy with my purchase. I wish hubby hadn't stolen my 4 wheel drive today - no trip to the range for me this afternoon. :(

Pics coming...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    :ugh: Didn't even occur to me to look at those for that reason. That would've saved me the trouble of buying new mags, a new cleaning rod, separate ammo...

BUT I'm really happy with my purchase. I wish hubby hadn't stolen my 4 wheel drive today - no trip to the range for me this afternoon. :(

Pics coming...

What did ya get?

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Savage 93R17 BTVLSS

100_0925.jpg

100_0927.jpg

100_0931.jpg

Yes, this is the rifle that first caught my eye. BUT I took all of your suggestions and made that salesman earn his keep last night. lol! I loved the smooth action on the Tikka's, but I hate composite stocks and they just didn't really feel right to me. There were lots of sticky bolts that may or may not have had a lot to do with needing lube, so those were set aside. I considered several different calibers, but the rifles themselves got pricey pretty quickly and I already have an AR.... I mean, my husband already has an AR :D , so longer ranges are covered. I forgot to mention in my original post that I really needed it to have a magazine that holds at least five, so this also fit that criteria.

This was the first time I've been able to walk into a gun shop/gun counter, browse through everything, and then just pick a rifle for fun. When I bought my 10/22, it's what I was told I needed - not that I have a problem with my 10/22, I love it, but there wasn't a lot of shopping around involved. Hmm...what to think about adding to my collection next time... ;) Or maybe I should work on getting this one to the range first. :rockwoot:

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I have the Savage BTV in .22LR and .17HMR, both blue. With the Accu-Triggers they are great shooting for the $$. I like the thumb-hole stocks but aesthetically I'm not a laminate fan.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Nice looking Savage rifle and the blue color is very nice to look at and stand out, what kind of scope did you put on the rifle ? You will be surprised at how accurate the Savage is out of the box and may start to leave the 10-22's at home. A little practice with the bolt action and I see you will be as quick as the 10-22's are.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It came with a Pine Ridge (Cabelas brand) scope. It's super-easy to use in that it doesn't have turret covers to work with - nice big, nicely labeled knobs. Shoots like a dream. Windage was perfect straight out of the box. I still need to practice, but the rifle knows what to do. Love it!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I hope you enjoy your new rifle. :)

I know it's a little late but an ad for this rifle just showed up in my inbox. Talk about love at first sight!!! I've only known about it's existence for about thirty minutes and I already want one really bad.

I thought I was happy with everything I have already and have not wanted another gun or rifle this year ... until now. (Almost made it to the end of the year. :D)

6803.jpg

It's the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I thought I was happy with everything I have already and have not wanted another gun or rifle this year ... until now. (Almost made it to the end of the year. :D)

I'm pretty sure I could never truly be satisfied with my collection - there's always something else I need. :D

That Ruger looks like it could be a nice addition to your collection, Wild Deuce!

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    Savage is a great gun for the price and I would get one with the accu-trigger.Another good option would be a CZ-they are very good accurate guns at a reasonable price-either would be perfect in .22 cal. or a centerfire if you prefer.I have both and am very pleased with each.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    I would recommend either the savage with an acu-trigger or a CZ=both are very accurate and at a reasonable price-either .22 or a .223 if you want to go centerfire.I have

Top Bottom