• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    tonight i was at a bonfire with a small group of people and someone made some comment about carrying directed at me and another buddy that were both carrying that implied we had guns on us... someone then looked at me and asked if i really had a gun on me and if they could see it... i just said no i dont and then changed the subject... i personally dont feel comfortable just whipping it out and showing it off unless its someone i know very well and its just us.

but i ask the rest of you... will you show off your gun if asked?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I frequently OC, so people already know if I have a gun on me.

On one occasion, I had some people ask me to see it, and I showed them. But that time we had just come back from a range trip and there were some other gun people who hadn't been able to join us at the range but came to the BBQ afterwards. That was fine.

Another time, one of my closest friends also asked to see it. I unloaded it before I handed it to him, but he was so careless with muzzle and trigger control that I took it back right away.

My lesson: only let them "see it with their hands" if I know they are going to handle it safely. Otherwise, if we're in a group, I will decline until we're not in a group setting where the level of "cool" won't play a factor with that person handling it.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I almost always CC, so it's not really an issue.
    But no, as a general rule, I won't take out my gun and show it to anyone.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Careful, depending the situation, could be brandishing. I would only to family or maybe trusted friends

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Careful, depending the situation, could be brandishing. I would only to family or maybe trusted friends

Indiana doesn't have a brandishing law so simply showing a gun could not be misconstrued as brandishing.

As for the OP's question, will you show off your gun? Yes, but as Caleb says, depending on circumstances. At the cigar lounge when there are a group of like minded people and we're sitting around talking about them, well sure, then I'll play 'show & tell' with my firearm. Others have done it there too. Its a setting where OC and guntalk is considered normal. . . but at the Quick-e Mart, Bank, Speedway station or a random jewelry store the odds are against me showing my gun.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Like others have already said, depends on the situation and who it is.

Some random douche-bag at a house party? No friggin' way.

A trusted friend/family member at Thanksgiving dinner? No problem. Drop the mag, lock the slide back, and hand it over. No harm done.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I always enjoy whipping it out, just ask my wife! ;)

Lol seriously though, it depends on the situation. So far, the only time I've handed my gun to someone to see, outside of the range, have only been people I know and trust.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    There's a time and place for everything. In public I don't just "whip it out" but if I'm at my house or someone elses and they have an actual interest i firearms I will. Of course I clear the weapon first. Don't need some jack off shooting me with my own gun because they didn't think there was one in the chamber..

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    When in doubt, I whip it out. I got me a rock 'n' roll band.

Actually, I'll only hand it to a friend, family member or a fellow gun-carrying friend of a friend or family member

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    For me, no show and tell with the carry gun, ever. It's not what it's there for. It stays holstered unless it's needed. I'm not saying that someone's doing wrong if they do, I'm just saying that it's my rule, for me.

Other than that, I very happy to show guests in my home some of my guns, and and at the range.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I've showed it to a few of the future in-laws when I was carrying at Thanksgiving dinner. If there's more than one person who wants to see it nobody is going to hold it though. I don't like everyone handling my hardware at once, but every once in awhile is alright by me.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    There's a million scenarios that could come in to play for this question. It's all really about common sense. The bottom line is...if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    i ask the rest of you... will you show off your gun if asked?

Like others have already said, depends on the situation and who it is.

Some random douche-bag at a house party? No friggin' way.

A trusted friend/family member at Thanksgiving dinner? No problem. Drop the mag, lock the slide back, and hand it over. No harm done.

This x2 ^. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/101439-conceal_conceal_conceal_show_it.html

Plus I OC at work which, I believe, makes it easier for people to ask me gun related questions...like "What do YOU use?"

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    in a private setting, i dont have a problem with (if im CC'ing) raising my shirt if someone ask. but in a public setting no. i OC a lot so they can see plenty of it if they want. when my weapon is holstered (always one in the chamber), its not the time to whip it out and play hot potato.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    No law against that, brandish away! ;)

This is definitely NOT true.

While IN may not have a 'brandishing' law, if you choose to 'whip it out' in public, you may be charged with:

Criminal Recklessness
    or
    Pointing a Firearm

Both are a D Felony
    You know what that means... no more firearms for you!

My wife is a public defender and tells me this happens all the time in Indy. IANALBMWI

So, never ever take out your carry piece in public to show off to anyone. OC is fine, but as soon as you start messing with it, you can be arrested, charged, and convicted.

Also, if your idiot friend handles your loaded or unloaded gun in public (or private, for that matter) and points it at someone, he can be arrested, charged, and convicted of two D Felonies. You will probably also get dragged along in that net.

In Sum:
    Don't show your carry piece off to anyone in public.
    Don't show anyone your carry piece in private if you have reason to believe someone will make a big fuss over it and call the police.
    Don't make a habit of handling loaded firearms in public for any reason other than self-defense.

Top Bottom