• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    well said and I've experienced the same thing, although I rarely take out my carry weapon, and if i do, it is generally for about 3 people...all of which i shoot with.

Personally though, I feel like the question of "are you carrying" or "do you have a gun on you right now" is incredibly rude. first off, the person that just asked you the question has essentially "made" you to every person in the room. now, you are uncomfortable because all of your cards are shown to every person there. second, it brings unwanted attention to something that you are concealing for a reason in the first place. If you wanted the attention on your gun, you would be OCing. third, in my opinion, discussing guns in a room full of mixed company is like talking about politics or abortion...it just shouldn't be done unless you know everyone's view on the subject in the room...and even then, it might not be what you expected. As a general rule though, if someone pulls the old "are you carrying right now" question on me in a group, I will say "no" and later they will be asked politely never to ask said question again in mixed company.

My :twocents:

I also think it's rude to ask someone if you can fondle their piece.

If they wanted you touching it, they would have offered.

Just like people asking if they can drive your car or whatever else. If it's not yours, don't touch it.

Bandit33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I would only show to trusted friends or law enforcement if they asked, otherwise outside of the range, I would never draw my weapon unless I intended to use it. Its not for show and tell.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    If it was a close friend and just us, I would show them. I would not want some anti-gun nazi accusing me of "drawing" on them and then I end up in a legal issue. Best to just keep things to ourselves in my opinion.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    I was at a friends house playing some cards and there's no smoking in the card room so obviously you have to step outside. I was oc'ing a G17 and cc'ing a .38. I always carry to the game simply because some people will bring others we don't know, and I have no problem if you take everyone else's money or what have you, but you're not getting mine..

During the game I stepped up to get a drink and someone says "Like the police issue gun", and I said "Thank you, but it's not police issue". When I went outside to smoke, 2 people I didn't know were outside and asked to see my G17. I said "Sure thing!" dropped the mag, cleared the round in the chamber and handed over the pistol to which the gentleman replied "Well, now I have your gun.." to which I replied reaching down to my .38 "That's fine, it's why I always carry two.."

Some laughs exchanged and discussion about carrying to a card game when there are people you don't know and that was that. Moral of the story is if I'm OC'ing on private property and someone shows interest in my pistol, I'll show it to them..but only if I'm carrying secondary.

Wtf good does my pistol do to you without a mag or ammo? Chances of someone having a loaded Glock mag in their pocket is pretty slim..

Typically I'd advise against it, but I'm leaning more toward the why be a douche and not keep a normal friendly conversation normal and friendly. This was also on a friends private property and not at some club or bar somewhere at which point no exchange would occur.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Wtf good does my pistol do to you without a mag or ammo? Chances of someone having a loaded Glock mag in their pocket is pretty slim..

Rule #1: All guns are always loaded. I'm not too keen on someone unfamiliar with guns (especially a stranger) holding my firearm outside of a controlled training setting. Even if I think I've unloaded it, I don't like having my own gun pointed at me (note that most people would not do this intentionally, but most people WOULD do this unintentionally if they are unfamiliar with guns).

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    This is how I roll......

There is a story about Col Cooper, when Mike Dillon first came to Gunsite to meet him. They were sitting in Col Coopers office with a couple friends and Dillon asked the Col if he could see his carry gun. Col Cooper replied "you would like to see my personal gun?" "Yes, if you don't mind" says Dillon. The Col then took his 1911 out of his holster laid it on the table (pointed in a safe direction), reached in a desk drawer and got out another 1911, condition checked it to make sure it was loaded and placed it in his holster. He then unloaded the original holstered gun, loacked it back and handed to Dillon. Never be unarmed.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    My best man's son likes to say "gun check" when I visit because he knows I carry. I don't mind unloading since they handle it properly. No one else has really asked me even when I OC though they have asked about what I was carrying. At my cousin's at holiday get togethers, when the weather is good, we shoot on his property so we get to try each other's firearms.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I carry a G19, everyone in the world has already handled one, I can just tell them it is the same as holding a plastic brick...

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    On private property, I will consider showing it to trusted people. Depends on who all is around. In public, I won't show it, but I also won't deny it. I will respond with either "Yes, I'm carrying. No, you can't see it." or "I'll show you some other time."

I've only been asked once in a public place, and I politely let the asking person know that this really is an inappropriate request. Later, when we were back at my father-in-law's farm, I took the time to show him what I was carrying and also four other guns I had with me.

Most non-gun people don't think about what they're asking. It's worth informing them.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    On private property, I will consider showing it to trusted people. Depends on who all is around. In public, I won't show it, but I also won't deny it. I will respond with either "Yes, I'm carrying. No, you can't see it." or "I'll show you some other time."

I've only been asked once in a public place, and I politely let the asking person know that this really is an inappropriate request. Later, when we were back at my father-in-law's farm, I took the time to show him what I was carrying and also four other guns I had with me.

Most non-gun people don't think about what they're asking. It's worth informing them.

I agree entirely with your judgment. Between my family, trusted friends, and co-workers, I'll unload it and hand it over if we're someplace private. Otherwise, I too will tell them it's not the right time/place, but won't ever deny that I'm carrying.

blake2981

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenfield
    I always conceal when in public. I'm glad I have it if I need it, but everyone in my eyes doesn't need to know I have it. If someone is going to do something, they are going to observe for those who might stop them first, so I definately want to suprise them. Then again, cops open carry for a reason and seems to be very affective with first impressions.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    I never show anyone unless I think they need to see it for my preservation. The only time I have shown it was to two gentlemen (if you can call them that) that were following me a little too close as I walked down the street to my hotel at 1:00am. I opened my coat enough for them to see it holstered and asked them to back away from me. They gladly did, I did not remove the gun from the holster, had no need to.

Top Bottom