Wilson Combat 1911 .45 for how much? no way! no really, that much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've never owned a Wilson, but am looking forward to owning one soon. It's been 22 months since I placed my order.

Think I'll give them a call and find out when that bad boy is supposed to show up. :)

This one is a custom order. I knew I had the option of buying from a dealer, but I wanted them to build the exact one I wanted. Thus the wait. But I know it will be worth it. :)

I'm on the phone with them right now, on hold. Should know the delivery date here in a few minutes.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Great reason to stick to lowly Ed Browns. :cool:

Not knocking anyone, that's their choice. I could buy a Wilson if I wanted one but just don't want one. If I was ever in the market for a custom 1911 (which I probably will never be) I would probably go with a Les Baer or maybe an Ed Brown.

BTBguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jackson County
    Please keep Bite the Bullet in mind if you are looking for a high end 1911. We are a Wilson Combat Master Dealer and also stock Guncrafter Industries.

Currently in stock (from right to left in the picture)

WC X-TAC 45ACP
    CQB 45ACP Blued
    CQB Compact 45ACP
    CQB 45ACP Color Case Hardened/ Blued
    Guncrafter No 1 50GI
    Ed Brown Executive Target SS 9mm (pre-owned)
    Nighthawk Talon Black 9mm (pre-owned)

(all the Wilsons in stock have extra options, you can find more pics and info on our Facebook page)

High End 1911 3-10-14.JPG

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Why do people pay $200,000+ for a car, or $100,000+ when a $10,000 car will get them from point A to B just fine.

Same reason people buy a $10,000 or $5,000 1911 instead of a $1,000 1911.

Don't have the money? You likely won't see the point.
    Riiiiiiight... Us working class slobs don't have the refinement necessary to appreciate finely crafted items. We could never understand why the more-money-than-sense crowd overspends on their [Strike]status symbols[/Strike] objet d'art.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While Wisons are good they are not THAT good or that much better. If that's what you like that's what you like but what strikes my about "most" that think they have to have a Wilson in 2 words is Prestige/Elitism. JMHO

There are lots of folks in the world that have what I cannot afford. I generally don't assume they are elitists but just figured that we went down different paths in life. If there were no people that could afford to pay for the work of craftsmen, pretty soon there would be no craftsmen.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    There are lots of folks in the world that have what I cannot afford. I generally don't assume they are elitists but just figured that we went down different paths in life. If there were no people that could afford to pay for the work of craftsmen, pretty soon there would be no craftsmen.

Nonsense. They're elitists, and they're keeping you down. THEY are the reason you can't afford that yacht and helicopter. Occupy, brother. Occupy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Geez, "sour grapes".
    I got my first Wilson Combat last November. I bought it used but unfired from my buddy that took me with him to buy it.
    I never thought the Wilsons were worth the money BUT....I now have my second one. I bought it new.
    I saved a little each month until I had the $ to walk out the door with it. I also sold a couple of other nice 1911s to be able to make the purchase.
    It wasn't easy, I gave up a couple of nice toys to acquire it. Elitist? Hardly. I wear Wranglers, drive Jeeps, and have a family that comes first.
    IF I had the money I'd have one of the high quality SNOBISH ELITE guns but I'm just an old average Joe.
    Oh, There is a difference in the quality of guns in case you never get to learn the difference due to "set in your ways" and set in your thinking.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Geez, "sour grapes".
    I got my first Wilson Combat last November. I bought it used but unfired from my buddy that took me with him to buy it.
    I never thought the Wilsons were worth the money BUT....I now have my second one. I bought it new.
    I saved a little each month until I had the $ to walk out the door with it. I also sold a couple of other nice 1911s to be able to make the purchase.
    It wasn't easy, I gave up a couple of nice toys to acquire it. Elitist? Hardly. I wear Wranglers, drive Jeeps, and have a family that comes first.
    IF I had the money I'd have one of the high quality SNOBISH ELITE guns but I'm just an old average Joe.
    Oh, There is a difference in the quality of guns in case you never get to learn the difference due to "set in your ways" and set in your thinking.

halfmileharry, I feel you are referring to my post so let me add. My comment on elitists let me articulate since I believe some have taken my post a little out of the intended context. Wilsons are fine quality guns and I posted that folks want what they want. You get what you pay for IF you want to pay that much but to each their own. owning a custom gun in its self does not warrant the "elitist" title what does though is if those that have the "cult" type mentality that some have towards certain high end pieces. Whether Wilson, Ed Brown or any other $4,000 plus dollar gun. As in the some of the ones (some not all) that buy same high end firearm air a certain aura. That goes way past someone simply buying what they like.

Sour grapes......no, I could care less what some ones choice is it just seems that for some the higher priced or custom their choice of firearm is the more they invest their ego into it!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Riiiiiiight... Us working class slobs don't have the refinement necessary to appreciate finely crafted items.
    Not the point. The point is that you appreciate what you can afford and you don't see the sense in buying something you can't afford. I am the same way even if my budget is a little higher than yours. No sense in taking it as a personal attack.

We could never understand why the more-money-than-sense crowd overspends on their [Strike]status symbols[/Strike] objet d'art.
    Not a status symbol for me - just a well made gun that I know I can rely on if I need to. Sure - I could probably find a 1911 that's cheaper that would do the same thing but the chances of finding one that isn't reliable goes up as the cost goes down.

The extra $700 I put into my gun was for the ArmorTuff finish [for durability, since it's my EDC] and upgraded/extra parts [i.e. I have a fitted spare part for all of the common 1911 failures and wear items so that I'm not waiting for a replacement when I need to swap them - I can then, at that point, order a new spare].

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    This one sold 18 month ago, so it's price is lower. Wilson raised his prices last January.
    WC20755B_450.JPG

Specifications:
    5" Wilson Classic
    .45ACP
    Reverse Two Tone with Stainless slide and Baron Blue frame with Fire Blued small parts
    Bullet proof ambidextrous upgrade package
    Top of slide serrations
    Rear of slide checkered
    Speed Chute
    Hand engraved slide
    2 magazines

Wilson's Supergrade Master Pistolsmiths only built 5 of these guns.
    What makes it truly unique is that it comes with a set of Historic George Washington grips made from a Horse Chestnut tree that George Washington himself planted.
    Grips come with a letter of authenticity. The gun also comes with a set of Walnut grips mounted on the gun.
    List price $6375.95 SOLD!

I must admit that is one fine work of art. Nicer than the one I was looking at for $7100

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Thank you..my thoughts exactly...

Except...it's probably not true. A $1700 Colt is a fine pistol. I like Colts. I have a couple. But the barrel fit on a stock Colt is not the same as the barrel fit on a $2800 Wilson, let alone a Supergrade.

So let's be precise in our wording. You or I may not shoot a $7100 Wilson better than you or I may shoot a $1700 Colt; but unless the Colt has had some barrel fitting done off the factory assembly line it is unlikely to shoot "as well" as the Wilson, assuming your measure of "shooting well" is mechanical accuracy. If it isn't, then you need to define what you mean by "shooting any better".

And this isn't a Wilson v. Colt thing, it is a barrel fit thing. That guy upthread that said his Regent 1911 with a barrel hand fit by AllenM shot "better than any Wilson" may have a bit of envy-itis, but I wouldn't doubt his gun is more accurate than a stock Colt, if perhaps not a stock Wilson.

I already said that I believe most of the cost of a Wilson past the first $3K is for the art, not so much function. But it is beautiful art, and I don't know if you've priced art lately, but I'd rather have a Wilson in my hand that I can shoot, than have most of the paint splattered canvases that go for about the same amount. I can't afford either, nor justify either, but I don't begrudge those that can.

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    Nonsense. They're elitists, and they're keeping you down. THEY are the reason you can't afford that yacht and helicopter. Occupy, brother. Occupy.

I am thankful to live in a place where you can be an "elitist", a proud hard working common man, or an "Occupy, brother, Occupy". Thank you for your input.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Except...it's probably not true. A $1700 Colt is a fine pistol. I like Colts. I have a couple. But the barrel fit on a stock Colt is not the same as the barrel fit on a $2800 Wilson, let alone a Supergrade.

So let's be precise in our wording. You or I may not shoot a $7100 Wilson better than you or I may shoot a $1700 Colt; but unless the Colt has had some barrel fitting done off the factory assembly line it is unlikely to shoot "as well" as the Wilson, assuming your measure of "shooting well" is mechanical accuracy. If it isn't, then you need to define what you mean by "shooting any better".

And this isn't a Wilson v. Colt thing, it is a barrel fit thing. That guy upthread that said his Regent 1911 with a barrel hand fit by AllenM shot "better than any Wilson" may have a bit of envy-itis, but I wouldn't doubt his gun is more accurate than a stock Colt, if perhaps not a stock Wilson.

I already said that I believe most of the cost of a Wilson past the first $3K is for the art, not so much function. But it is beautiful art, and I don't know if you've priced art lately, but I'd rather have a Wilson in my hand that I can shoot, than have most of the paint splattered canvases that go for about the same amount. I can't afford either, nor justify either, but I don't begrudge those that can.

There's a lot of truth here. I'm in the final stages of fitting a custom EGW barrel bushing to my Colt Delta Elite. There was .008 of vertical slop at the muzzle when in battery. I needed to order a .703 OD bushing to get rid of the production slop the Colt fitting had. The ironic thing is that I had recently ordered an EGW angle bore bushing for my Remington because the fit on that gun was still TOO tight after 700 rounds. The fit now matches that of my EB and the slide cycles like butter. I'm hoping to get similar results with my Colt. Long story short, Colt barrel fit is nothing to brag about on their production guns. As you climb the ladder of quality, the tolerance of the parts in a build get much tighter.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Probably the same or less expensive than the work of some of these 1911 smiths. Some have quit taking orders a while back due to excess backlog.

Richard Heinie
    Paul Leibenberg
    George Smith
    Jim Garthwaite
    Wayne Novak
    Kim Ahrends
    Larry Vickers
    Mark Morris
    David Stagg
    Bill Laughridge
    Heirloom Precision
    Dane Burns
    John Nowlin
    Pete Carber
    Chuck Rogers
    Pete Single
    John Harrison
    Tom Novak

Yes I do own a Wilson. Do I shoot it any better than my TRP, Loaded or Colt? Nope. But you can sure feel the difference by racking the slide once. Everything feels like it is on roller bearings.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Why does a Breitling cost more than a Timex. Some movements are known as being some of the finest around. One needs an appreciation of fine mechanisms to want one. You also have $150 suits and $1000 suits. Do the more expensive ones look better? Ah, I'd think they do (don't own one). Hell, why do people even wear a suit? $30 jeans and a $15 t-shirt serve the same purpose. Breiting internals assembled by hand.

Navitimer movement.jpg

Same applies to firearms.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom