Wilson Combat 1911 .45 for how much? no way! no really, that much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    And this isn't a Wilson v. Colt thing, it is a barrel fit thing. That guy upthread that said his Regent 1911 with a barrel hand fit by AllenM shot "better than any Wilson" may have a bit of envy-itis, but I wouldn't doubt his gun is more accurate than a stock Colt, if perhaps not a stock Wilson.
    Allen did not fit the barrel for me. He put in a new ramp. I was not talking about accuracy. I do not need a pistol to be able to kill bugs at fifty feet. I care only for combat accuracy. Can I land rounds in the torso at reasonable distance.
    I was talking about feel. A gun should feel like a gun in your hands. The Wilson felt like a loosely assembled pile of parts in my hand while firing. It was akin to firing a Lego gun. It felt like it could fall apart at any moment. the regent did not feel this way. My father in laws Kimber did not feel this way, and yes a glock does not feel this way.
    I believe their are people who truly believe the more money you spend the more important you are. In the end, its a tool. No more, no less. 5+grand it needs to prove it can do something no other pistol can. And in this case it cant

And I did not say the regent shot better than any Wilson. It shot better than one Wilson. As far as the Allen comment, I stand behind that one. I would rather have Allen build me a custom 1911 over Wilson combat, ed brown, or nighthawk. He is that good.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    No argument from me that Allen does exceptional work. He's done some for me and we're talking about more. That would have been a very odd Wilson Combat 1911.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A Wilson was loose like a Lego gun? Mine has absolutely no slop at all, has had only one malfunction in 3500+ rounds, and is accurate. My only problem has been the slide not wanting to always lock back on empty mags. I believe this to be because of the plastic followers in the ETM mags.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A Wilson was loose like a Lego gun? Mine has absolutely no slop at all, has had only one malfunction in 3500+ rounds, and is accurate. My only problem has been the slide not wanting to always lock back on empty mags. I believe this to be because of the plastic followers in the ETM mags.

My Springer Trophy did that as well but only on a couple of mags. Marked them and was ready for this. Wilson Mags so :dunno:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I believe Wilson used to rebuild Colts and such. I am sure there are some older, high mileage Wilson's out there that could use some TLC. These guns are supposed to be shot not looked at.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My Springer Trophy did that as well but only on a couple of mags. Marked them and was ready for this. Wilson Mags so :dunno:

I want to try some Tripps. But the ETM load easy with 8 rounds and feed lead wad cutters in both my guns. Slide lock is not a super big deal for USPSA. It is for other things.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I believe Wilson used to rebuild Colts and such. I am sure there are some older, high mileage Wilson's out there that could use some TLC. These guns are supposed to be shot not looked at.

I've got one from 1998 that was built on a stainless Colt 1991A1 frame and slide by Wilson into what would have been called a "full house" custom at the time; it went back about a year ago to have some different sights installed and a refinish, and it came back with a 5 shot 25yrd test target into the same sub inch size hole. It probably has 5-6k rounds through it and it's still pretty tight. They're pretty good guns; their 4" version of an Officer's model is my EDC, until I can scrounge up the right donor and enough cash to have my personally designed carry gun built.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

This is true. If you watch the old Wilson Combat videos that go step by step through a 1911 customization, they say they are working on Colts. BTW, those are some pretty good videos once you get past the crappy video quality and mullets. I'd love to see them do a new set in high def with a bit better production quality.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Wilson builds for the elite. There are those out there with the money that will buy it because of the name. Years ago when they where reasonable I had some work done on a Colt Commander. They did nice work at a reasonable cost. Those days are long gone when it comes to Wilson IMHO

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    halfmileharry, I feel you are referring to my post so let me add. My comment on elitists let me articulate since I believe some have taken my post a little out of the intended context. Wilsons are fine quality guns and I posted that folks want what they want. You get what you pay for IF you want to pay that much but to each their own. owning a custom gun in its self does not warrant the "elitist" title what does though is if those that have the "cult" type mentality that some have towards certain high end pieces. Whether Wilson, Ed Brown or any other $4,000 plus dollar gun. As in the some of the ones (some not all) that buy same high end firearm air a certain aura. That goes way past someone simply buying what they like.

Sour grapes......no, I could care less what some ones choice is it just seems that for some the higher priced or custom their choice of firearm is the more they invest their ego into it!
    I understand your stance perfectly. My response wasn't aimed at you at all.
    I can appreciate everyone's approach to gun ownership in their desired purchases. I shoot A LOT and it doesn't take long to know the differences in the wear in different models or the quality of steel or alloys used in their manufacture.
    I have a couple of old 1911s from the 40s that are completely original down to the springs and mags. I do have an occasional mag failure but it seldom happens. They're NOT carry guns as much as a "reminder of the greatest generation" and their sacrifices. Believe me when I say I can't give them near the respect they deserve nor thank them enough to do them justice. These old 1911s mean as much to me as any heirloom I might ever have.
    They were made of top quality materials and a testament to their being in excellent firing condition even now.
    A quality made gun will last. Lesser quality guns that don't get shot much will or should last as well. In my case I shoot them. I now carry the Wilson Combat knowing it's going to be there IF/When Needed.
    I've got a couple of nice 1st Gen Kimbers I love and know they'll be there and ready to serve as well. I have 3 springers now including the RO Churchmouse persuaded me to get. Great shooting firearm and best overall of my Springers. I could happily and comfortably carry it as my EDC without worry. It's that good of a gun and accurate as any I own.
    The Wilson I carry is "slick" like it's on roller bearings. Smooth and silky cycling. So smooth you don't get the forward torque when chambering. Accuracy is as good as any around. I shoot good but not as good as the Wilson or RO or Kimbers. It's just that they're that accurate AND consistent. FWIW, the Wilson is the only one I feel totally comfy with JHPs. I always carried 230 hard ball before but I've put so many rounds of JHP through the Wilson that I have no need to worry about it.
    It's not loose or rattling or clanging around. It's the quietest and smoothest cycling 1911 I own. It don't need love, tricked out, or gimmicks to make it dependable. It's a true out of the box, ready to run, shooter.
    I worked hard for what I have and I see the money on the Wilson well spent for the use it gets and my life depending on it. My life's worth a lot to me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's interesting to me that you mention the metal used in the production of a gun. I've always wondered who uses what in their 1911s. My collection ranges from a Rock Island, up through Kimber, Colt, Sig and to an Ed Brown. I swear that each of those guns has a distinct feeling based on the metal used in them. At the bottom end, the Rock has a buttery smooth feeling to it due to the finish I just did. It's been polished and cold blued and feels like a high polish blued gun should feel. I know it won't last with the cold blue, but eventually, I'll use this gun to try my hand at rust bluing. The thing with the Rock is that the metal feels soft. The sound seems dull in comparison to other 1911s in the collection. There is peening at the front of the slide where the slide contacts the guide rod and also at the slide stop catch on the slide. This is only after less than 1000 to 1200 rounds.

My Kimber is aluminum framed and feels exactly like you would expect a piece of aluminum to feel. I'm having a hard time putting that into words, but light, yet crisp comes to mind. It's at about the 1500 round point and is also showing some peening internally where the guide rod contacts the frame. I have three stainless 1911s and all feel different to me. The Remington R1S has a warm feel that makes it feel like it's a softer stainless alloy, but I don't think it is. It's closing in on 900 rounds and has shown zero peening anywhere. Now that it's broken in, it has a silky smooth feel to it that I've really come to like.

My Sig Scorpion is also stainless, but Cerakoted. That gun has a rock solid feel to it and feels different than the Remington, but that may be due to the Cerakote over the stainless. The slide to frame fit feels like it's on bearings with very little turbulence felt when hand cycling the slide. On the Remington, you can feel the disconnector and slide to frame fit a bit more. My last stainless 1911 is a Colt Delta Elite. That gun has a more dull feel to it. I'm hoping it's just a break in issue, but it has none of the silky smooth feel that the Remington or Sig do.

The high end of my collection is held by an Ed Brown. That gun is carbon steel and feels rock solid. It has an almost tuning fork like feel to it and it just feels like the gun has a higher hardness than any of the other guns. I'd almost describe the feel of the gun's steel as 'bright'. The feel of the slide is almost like two pieces of oiled glass sliding against each other. Where as the Sig and Remington have a silky smooth feeling, the EB feels precise.

I've just always thought it interesting how seemingly similar guns can feel quite different based on the type of metal used or the hardness of the metal used.

Disclaimer: If I'm rambling today, forgive me. I've a bad cold and am running on cold meds and tea right now.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    But you can sure feel the difference by racking the slide once. Everything feels like it is on roller bearings.

+1 and this is why they get the BIG MONEY!!!!!......and if you haven't ran or owned one you have no dog in this fight.......enough said!!!!!

adding one thing......all of my other 1911's(13 + WC) i can feel the barrel unlocking when firing....not the WC.....smooth as glass....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You get what you pay for. Simple as that.

Not always. I feel let down by my Colt. Then again, maybe I'm holding them to a different standard. To be honest, both of my Colts are similar in how much play they have in the fit of the barrel. One is WWII production and the other is current production. I expect the new Colt to fit to modern standards, not to wartime production standards with 70 years of use thrown in. The barrel fit is better in every other 1911 I own, even including the Wock Island (Ed Brow Edition). Had the Colt been a $600 gun, I would not complain, but it was not.

I'm not knocking the WC pistol at all. You are getting exactly what you are paying for. That is, you are getting the results of many hours of craftsmen time in building, engraving and finishing. For some, it's worth every penny. For others, it's like buying an original oil painting for big dollars when there is a perfectly good print of dogs playing cards for $20. I think you just have to get it and some folks don't.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Not always. I feel let down by my Colt. Then again, maybe I'm holding them to a different standard. To be honest, both of my Colts are similar in how much play they have in the fit of the barrel. One is WWII production and the other is current production. I expect the new Colt to fit to modern standards, not to wartime production standards with 70 years of use thrown in. The barrel fit is better in every other 1911 I own, even including the Wock Island (Ed Brow Edition). Had the Colt been a $600 gun, I would not complain, but it was not.

I'm not knocking the WC pistol at all. You are getting exactly what you are paying for. That is, you are getting the results of many hours of craftsmen time in building, engraving and finishing. For some, it's worth every penny. For others, it's like buying an original oil painting for big dollars when there is a perfectly good print of dogs playing cards for $20. I think you just have to get it and some folks don't.

you can't compare a production gun to a hand fitted gun.......i have never seen a RI with a better fitted barrel than a Colt......unless someone hand fitted it....

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

4) Why doesn’t my pistol always reliably lock back when empty?
    Even though we use the strongest magazine springs in the industry, some pistols have such excessive tolerances in the magazine well–slidestop internal lobe area that some magazines will not reliably lock back on empty even when new. This is a known problem with some Springfield Armory pistols. You may need to have a gunsmith replace, polish or fit your slide stop for proper function. This may also be an indication that your springs need replacing.

Wilson Combat?s Guide to 1911 Magazine Troubleshooting

Top Bottom