• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    [video=youtube;wDex2vkuFhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDex2vkuFhM[/video]

I'm a hunter, Martin. What do you think I'm doing.

I could use a few more hunters.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So, these Indians had to have a white (government employee) guy come and hunt mountain lions for them to defend their cattle...
    IIRC, as white as he looks, he was a tribal member wasn't he? I thought it was brought up. Furthermore, anybody can own land on a reservation (at least the reservations I'm familiar with). There are both reservation owned lands and privately owned lands within the bounds of the reservation. The privately owned lands and be bought by anybody that has the money and wants to own it. The impression I was given is that he was a local, born & raised there, that got a great job working for the feds.

The fact that USFS/USFWS hunts predators (that may or may not be protected) in certain problematic areas is no secret. They're the fed, they can do what the average joe can't do.

IMHO, having been on reservations (I have friends that are tribal members and actually live on the Pine Ridge Reservation in SD) that part didn't seem out of place to me. There is a delicate mixing of Indian Res. sovereignty and federal protections/controls on reservations.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I absolutely loved the movie. I had family that lived out that way. If you.loved this movie, give the tv show longmire a try. The setting is in the same location

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have to admit there were at least 3 things in the movie that didn't make sense to me. But, it wasn't enough to ruin the movie and I won't go into detail and spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I still highly recommend watching it.

What were those things?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I absolutely loved the movie. I had family that lived out that way. If you.loved this movie, give the tv show longmire a try. The setting is in the same location

Don't forget, most of the indians are the same actors also.

I really liked the movie. The pace and dialogue really reminded me of Sicario and Hell or High Water for some weird reason. I looked it up and the same guy wrote all three (and directed this one).

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    What were those things?

Just saw that you had changed the thread. Ok, again I want to say that I liked the movie a lot. It just had a few few things in the plot that made me go Hmmmm....that doesn't make sense to me.

SPOILERS BELOW *******************************************************

1. When he found the 18 year old girls body. He mentions later that they are 5 miles from the mining camp. He could have followed her tracks back to the mining camp on that high end snow mobile in like 10 minutes. Way less time than it would have taken for law enforcement to reach the scene. It's what I would have done. In the movie he waits and the tracks are ruined by a fresh snow storm. Just doesn't make sense to me.

2. When the FBI agent leads the law enforcement team into the mining camp to get answers there is a first (very intense) standoff as one of the officers (probably ex-military) notices the mining security team is moving to keep a tactical advantage over them. It is a good scene and the FBI agent is able to diffuse things eventually. My issue is why in the h%$* would they continue on after that? The mining team out guns them and has shown itself to be aggressive and possibly hostile. Pull back, leave one guy up on a hill somewhere to watch the camp and then return with the FBI SWAT team and/or the national guard. In my mind she got that whole group killed by recklessly continuing into the camp after that first stand off. Just my two cents.

3. Ok, this one has probably the least impact on the story but it was an observation. After the big fire fight at the mining camp when the tracker starts shooting his 45-70 at the security team two of them just stand there talking and let themselves be shot. It might be nit-picking but it is a normal human reaction to go to the ground when being shot at. Especially when you can not see the source of the fire. Also, it looked like they had the high ground and not the shooter. Usually being on high ground if you go to the ground you are blocked from the shooters view. Basically safe. If the shooter has the high ground then they have the advantage in some situations because they can see down into dips and depressions in the ground.

Ok, that's it. Again, I really enjoyed the movie and would be interested in any other opinions on these observations. I am not trying to pick the movie apart or express my opinion as the only way things could have gone. Sometimes the way things play out in the real world (and in movies) don't make sense.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Great movie...Very well written...The Arapaho Tribe helped fund the movie and have tried to raise enough money to get Harvey Weinstein's name off of it... The series Longmire and Wind River both work with Native writers and consultants to make sure they are portrayed fairly...Natives are honest, they are willing to show the bad stuff as long as it is does fair..Show the problems but paint them authentically...What I liked about Wind River was the land was main character...Everyone else just there as a supporting cast....

The girls father deserved an Oscar....He played that part perfectly....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    2. When the FBI agent leads the law enforcement team into the mining camp to get answers there is a first (very intense) standoff as one of the officers (probably ex-military) notices the mining security team is moving to keep a tactical advantage over them. It is a good scene and the FBI agent is able to diffuse things eventually. My issue is why in the h%$* would they continue on after that? The mining team out guns them and has shown itself to be aggressive and possibly hostile. Pull back, leave one guy up on a hill somewhere to watch the camp and then return with the FBI SWAT team and/or the national guard. In my mind she got that whole group killed by recklessly continuing into the camp after that first stand off. Just my two cents.

My take on that scene was that she was showing both her ability to de-escalate well, but also her inexperience dealing up close and personal with genuine killers. In my mind, she viewed the situation as a bunch of males being macho and posturing, because she had seen that before. Had that been the case, just calming everyone down and moving forward would have been okay. Unfortunately she didn't recognize that the cop who realized they were being herded knew exactly what he was talking about and she should have deferred to him rather than dismiss it as male dominance theater. It cost lives, but it was a realistic outcome given her lack of experience.

3. Ok, this one has probably the least impact on the story but it was an observation. After the big fire fight at the mining camp when the tracker starts shooting his 45-70 at the security team two of them just stand there talking and let themselves be shot. It might be nit-picking but it is a normal human reaction to go to the ground when being shot at. Especially when you can not see the source of the fire. Also, it looked like they had the high ground and not the shooter. Usually being on high ground if you go to the ground you are blocked from the shooters view. Basically safe. If the shooter has the high ground then they have the advantage in some situations because they can see down into dips and depressions in the ground.

I've been shot at from a distance and didn't know from where at first. My first reaction was disbelief and there was a definite time lag between when the guy with me and I were able to process what was happening and when we reacted and got down behind the best cover available.

Clearly the miscreant security guys had the experience to know better, but they were probably still engrossed in the aftermath of the close quarters battle they had just survived. It may have been tough to process and react to another threat. Also, it might have happened faster than it appeared to the audience. The time frame may have been expanded for dramatic effect, when in the story Renner's character tagged both of them one-two with just enough delay to cycle the action and confirm a good sight picture.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Great movie...Very well written...The Arapaho Tribe helped fund the movie and have tried to raise enough money to get Harvey Weinstein's name off of it... The series Longmire and Wind River both work with Native writers and consultants to make sure they are portrayed fairly...Natives are honest, they are willing to show the bad stuff as long as it is does fair..Show the problems but paint them authentically...What I liked about Wind River was the land was main character...Everyone else just there as a supporting cast....

The girls father deserved an Oscar....He played that part perfectly....

Agree 100%. It was the standout part of an outstanding film. I've not seen anyone do any better on screen ever.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    1. When he found the 18 year old girls body. He mentions later that they are 5 miles from the mining camp. He could have followed her tracks back to the mining camp on that high end snow mobile in like 10 minutes. Way less time than it would have taken for law enforcement to reach the scene. It's what I would have done. In the movie he waits and the tracks are ruined by a fresh snow storm. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Rhino answered the other 2.

As for this, Cory (Renner), he's not LE so no point going to a place where he can't win, also he knew who or how many are working there so he waited until the LE had enough man power before going to the mining site after gathering enough info. Plus, he had to go back up the mountain (a shortcut) where Matt's (Bernthal) body was and now it was covered with new snow or the mountain lions took his body and later discovered a trail, leading to the mining site.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We should have a "Wind River" party and re-watch it.

And maybe a Longmire binge-re-watching party as well.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    So, these Indians had to have a white (government employee) guy come and hunt mountain lions for them to defend their cattle...

Toward the end when he had the bad guy up on the mountain, he said "My family's people were forced here over a century ago." His character was a member of the tribe.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Clearly the miscreant security guys had the experience to know better, but they were probably still engrossed in the aftermath of the close quarters battle they had just survived. It may have been tough to process and react to another threat. Also, it might have happened faster than it appeared to the audience. The time frame may have been expanded for dramatic effect, when in the story Renner's character tagged both of them one-two with just enough delay to cycle the action and confirm a good sight picture.

The wounded guards could barely move, let alone scramble for cover when the first shot broke. The succeeding shots was just (in real time) 2-3 sec.

Top Bottom