Windows 7 or 10 for upgrade to Vista machine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm hanging on to 7 as long as I can. Maybe 10 will be stable by the time MS dumps it as well.
    I have 10 on my new PC and hate it. I'm running a 6yr old Lenova with 7 most of the time. I use my phone and a laptop much of the time as well. Laptop came with 10 and after a couple of months with it I scrubbed it and put a new 7 load to it.
    Sorry, I just don't like 10 at all.

I agree, my main PC is still Windows 7, but I just replaced my Gateway 6860fx with a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and I really, really don't like Windows 10. I had run Linux Mint on my old Gateway laptop for years before it started failing and I preferred that even over Windows 7. If you have programs on it you don't want to reload, you may be out of luck either way as it's recommended to do a clean install for Windows. If you do have to do a clean install, at least give Linux a try. It'll run better on that older hardware than any flavor of Windows.

EDIT: There should be an upgrade advisor app for both Win 7 and 10 that you could run to see if your system and apps are compatible.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I agree, my main PC is still Windows 7, but I just replaced my Gateway 6860fx with a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and I really, really don't like Windows 10. I had run Linux Mint on my old Gateway laptop for years before it started failing and I preferred that even over Windows 7. If you have programs on it you don't want to reload, you may be out of luck either way as it's recommended to do a clean install for Windows. If you do have to do a clean install, at least give Linux a try. It'll run better on that older hardware than any flavor of Windows.

EDIT: There should be an upgrade advisor app for both Win 7 and 10 that you could run to see if your system and apps are compatible.

Yep, but he's got Vista on it currently... not sure if the advisor will run on Vista.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Could be wrong, but isn't that to see if the computer can upgrade TO Vista?

Date Published:
    6/16/2006

• This application will perform a scan of your computer to:
      1) Determine if you can install and run the core experiences of Windows Vista
      2) Guide you in determining which edition of Windows Vista is right for you and whether your system is ready to take advantage of the advanced features that interest you
      3) Determine whether the devices and software on your PC are ready to run with Windows Vista.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    According to a couple of articles I've read, it's best to upgrade Vista to Win 7 first, then up to Win 10 if that's your preference. You might upgrade to Win 7 and see how you like it. I know that I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 on my Gateway laptop when Win 7 first came out and the upgrade worked fine. I used it for years before deciding I'd had enough of Windoze and I installed Linux Mint on it instead. As your system is a newer version of my old 6860FX, I would imagine the Win 7 upgrade would work as well or better than mine did. From what I've read, I believe you can only do a clean install of Win 10 from Vista, though the articles may be mistaken.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Could be wrong, but isn't that to see if the computer can upgrade TO Vista?

Date Published:
    6/16/2006

• This application will perform a scan of your computer to:
      1) Determine if you can install and run the core experiences of Windows Vista
      2) Guide you in determining which edition of Windows Vista is right for you and whether your system is ready to take advantage of the advanced features that interest you
      3) Determine whether the devices and software on your PC are ready to run with Windows Vista.

You're right. My bad.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just my opinion, avoid windows 10...every computer I upgraded to windows 10 ran so sluggishly and slow.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was dragged kicking and screaming from 7 to 10 at work. Now that I'm used to it, I don't mind it, but the learning curve was steep for me. Seems like the whole purpose of 10 vs. 7 was to make your computer look more like your smart phone. Instead of calling software "programs", they call them "apps". Took a little while to learn to navigate, but I got there. I'm using DoggyMama's laptop now (she never used it anyhow) and it's Win 10. My hard drive on my old Win 7 machine took a dump. Now I'm trying to decide if I just want to put a solid state drive in it and load Linux. I had been wanting to convert mine to a dual boot Win 7/Linux machine anyhow. I much prefer Linux, but there are some applications for which I need/needed Windows (or maybe I just don't know enough about Linux equivalents). I was running Linux from a thumb drive almost exclusively before it died.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro. You can download the install to usb from Microsoft and buy the key on eBay for 5£.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    One thing to consider before you actually do your upgrade is that Windows 7 is only going to be supported for two more years. You won't want an operating system that isn't getting patched.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Windows 10 upgrades were available for FREE from Microsoft but y'all missed the deadline. That offer expired on Dec 31st, 2017.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Did you upgrade to Win 7? If so, how did it go?
    It's worth mentioning that instead of an upgrade, if you do a clean install then you will have to reinstall your programs anyway, which is what you were trying to not to have to do.

Top Bottom