• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    +1 on having a generator! Our area isn't expecting very much snow, but it's so great to have heat and lights regardless of the weather! Even though I've not needed it very much, I do not regret getting a whole house generator!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Several years ago when it got down to around -20°, our power went out at about 2AM. I woke up for work at 4:30, thanks to my cell phone alarm, to a dead silent, completely dark house.

I immediately panicked because I have an outdoor boiler that heats our house. I got Carhartted up and went out to the boiler to find the two hoses that run to the door frozen solid.

Luckily, the forecast was for 40° highs later in the week and I can still run the gas furnace for backup. It didn't hurt the boiler, but I lost the garage and breezeway heat exchangers to freezing.

I have a generator, but I now also have a little alarm that plugs into an outlet that goes off if the power goes out.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Several years ago when it got down to around -20°, our power went out at about 2AM. I woke up for work at 4:30, thanks to my cell phone alarm, to a dead silent, completely dark house.

I immediately panicked because I have an outdoor boiler that heats our house. I got Carhartted up and went out to the boiler to find the two hoses that run to the door frozen solid.

Luckily, the forecast was for 40° highs later in the week and I can still run the gas furnace for backup. It didn't hurt the boiler, but I lost the garage and breezeway heat exchangers to freezing.

I have a generator, but I now also have a little alarm that plugs into an outlet that goes off if the power goes out.
    That sounds like a really good idea regarding the power outage alarm. We have some plug- in emergency lights that turn on when the power goes out. I may go ahead and get one with an audible alarm for our bedroom.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Fast forward to the year 2030… everyone go out and plug in your electric trucks…
    Not quite the same but…

There is a small house near me along road into town. Empty for quite a while ( 3 years maybe 4 ). I thought maybe flood plain and associated issues plus all work it needed. A year ago a young couple started “ DIY remodel “. Now living there, I drive by often. They have small cars, no garage, and not an actual driveway. The cars are EV. So 1 usually sitting closest to house with an electric cord thru the lawn and “drive“ ( mud ) from the house plugged into the car. Not sure that qualifies as an approved charging station.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Imagine...
    It's Winter 1990 in Soviet Russia.
    You're drinking bathtub vodka in apartment 2573b.
    You hear a dull roar in the distance.
    "War planes?!?" Says your babushka.
    "No, just that damn snow blower.... oh f***".
    You realize you've left your Lada Niva parked on the curb.
    You run down all 47 flights of stairs in your track suit.
    You knock over a burning barrel with someones kabobs cooking on it, as you come out the door.
    Babushkas are yelling at you through the courtyard.
    You get in your Lada just as the Snow Burner 9000 rolls around the corner.
    You try to start it, but your comrades at the Lada factory were drunk when they did the wiring and nothing happens.
    The Snow Burner vaporises a dog standing on the sidewalk, as it approaches.
    You panickedly kick the dash with your adidas knock offs and the sole tears off one.
    The lada sputters to life with the rocket plow only seconds away.
    You go to put it in gear and it just grinds like mad.
    Some gypseys stole your transmission fluid to start the barrel fire in the courtyard.
    The plow has arrived comrade.
    The plow operator hangs out the window, bottle in hand laughing like a mad man.
    The heat of 10 million dead gulag slaves beats itself upon your toaster shaped automobile.
    The interior plastics melt back into beat soup.
    Tires pop and glue themselves to the street.
    You finally free yourself from the soviet death oven.
    Later, you mail in a complaint to the authorities to see if you can get another car.
    Nine months later they reply that your great grand child will get 2 loaves of dark bread and the matter is officially closed.

Top Bottom