• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I went PoE IP cams and an on site DVR. Easy to run one Ethernet cable. No interference issues. No privacy/security issues with a cloud provider. Works great.

Back in May 2016, Ring had an incident where customers were seeing video from OTHER customer's locations for a few weeks - https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/ring-doorbell-pro-video-glitch-lets-users-see-other-homes/ .

Not to mention, with Ring and other services your video is off in the cloud somewhere and all that entails.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ring.com has wireless versions. The doorbell/camera combo claims "up to a year" for battery between charges, don't remember what the battery powered cameras (without doorbell) is supposed to last. Looking at them for myself, know two people who have the doorbell cameras and are happy with them.

I know several who have gone this way. All are pleased.

I have since purchased a Ring doorbell (bottom line model), and I am reasonably happy with it. I think cables with a dedicated DVR machine recording continuously would be the optimum solution, but for the $130 I spent on the camera and the ease of installation, the doorbell ring works for exactly what I bought it for. Which is so my wife can see, from the opposite end of the house, exactly who is at the door when they ring. She does everything else on her phone, so this works out. Also I can see it from work, and I have the "motions alert" turned on so I get a banner alert if someone comes into the parking area of our driveway (also butterflies that go by, tree limbs waving in the breeze etc, moving shadows, etc). I signed up for the yearly cloud storage of the vids, which I think was $30. I can also activate live view anytime I want, and I can talk to and hear from whoever is standing at the door bell. My wifi at the house is strong enough that it works well.

It's not perfect, and there are several things I would change if I could, but it is satisfactory. Satisfactory enough that I think I will by the solar panel bezel that goes around it so I don't have to take it off its mounting plate once a week to recharge, and if that works well, I might get one of the solar-powered cameras with a light to mount outside the house to survey other areas.

ETA: I notice the basic/first Ring doorbell is down to $99 on the Ring.com website. That's cheaper than Amazon even with shipping charged on the Ring site and not at Amazon for Prime members.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just one word of caution on the Hikvision cams. Lots of them on the open market are greymarket, meaning they are not officially distributed, may not be the correct model for the country they are sold in, etc.

Hikvision equipment is ONLY supposed to be sold by professional servicing dealers. They are not intended for the DIY crowd and it is against their distributor agreements to sell them as DIY. (I work for a servicing distributor) Those that are not official dealers may be selling questionable hardware for one country that has re-flashed the firmware for another using tweaked/hacked firmware, etc. The penalty? You could brick it trying to firmware upgrade your device, no warranty support if it fails, no support if you have oddities/questions, etc. HV doesnt provide any end user support or warranties; its all handled through their servicing resellers and Amazon, etc arent servicing resellers.

With that being said, if you are comfy doing 110% of it yourself with no warranty support, GO FOR IT!!! Just spring for that extra couple bucks worth of SquareTrade warranty. You'll need it if the device croaks 9 months out because HV wont talk to you.

When I upgrade, I'm going HikVision.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Good to know on that. I don’t mind own support but bricking with firmware would be bad. Any way to check if valid device on manufacturer’s site or something?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good to know on that. I don’t mind own support but bricking with firmware would be bad. Any way to check if valid device on manufacturer’s site or something?

Nope. The only guarantee is buying through official channels. if you know anyone with an account at ADI Global, they are an official distributor.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The first review on your page says it was an unauthorized distributor.

I've been looking at cameras for a while now, and it is so hard to get good info.

At some point in the near future, I will break down and buy something. NVR and at least four cameras.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The first review on your page says it was an unauthorized distributor.

Not necessarily. Amazon is combining reviews if it sees the same product. Not sure when they started doing that. That review references a listing title that is different than the one I bought throughand buy something. NVR and at least four cameras.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IF they arent the ones actually designing, INSTALLING, TWEAKING, and providing end user support for warranty and technical questions, they are not authorized. Period. Its how they structure the agreements.

The likelihood of true greymarket reflashed hardware is slim, but a possibility worth mentioning. However the lack of warranty and support (someone to call when you cant get it running or you think something is wrong) is real. But if you are OK with it nine times out of ten you'll be fine. Especially if you can get a 3rd party warranty to go along with it in case you have a burn out in the first year.

I would consider buying out of channel for the right price if I could guarantee its just somebody reselling US models for a few easy bucks.

Top Bottom