• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Bump. :)

So, I need to start looking in to this for a family member. Vacant house out of town, back a lane off the road. Has a house alarm but no video, that doesnt cover the garage. Recently had a thief kick in the garage man door, and steal some mowers and a gator. I want to get some video surveillance in place. Problem: no internet at the house, weak cell signal.

What's the best option for me?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

So, I need to start looking in to this for a family member. Vacant house out of town, back a lane off the road. Has a house alarm but no video, that doesnt cover the garage. Recently had a thief kick in the garage man door, and steal some mowers and a gator. I want to get some video surveillance in place. Problem: no internet at the house, weak cell signal.

You might have to add a cell phone amplifier. We bought a Wilson amp a few years ago because it's the only way we can get a cell phone signal inside the house.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

You want to view remote or have evidence to give police?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

What is your goal?

Wildlife or other motion sensitive cameras can capture the activities of any illicit behavior. Any kind of live view camera will need reasonable internet. You could do a closed circuit video recording but that will require on site recording hardware. Signs pointing to fake cameras might be plenty to deter any future thievery.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ideally, both, but with the limitations I understand that may not be possible.
    Get a DVR and lock it up somewhere inside if you can. You might be able to use Satellite Internet to stream a camera. Use a DVR to capture a high def image to identify people, and stream a lower def image to see remotely.

Make sure you get a camera that will be able to identify people's faces at whatever distance you will need. It won't do you any good to put in a camera and have something happen, only to not be able to actually make out the face(s) of those guilty. Camera placement is also important for that.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Get a DVR and lock it up somewhere inside if you can. You might be able to use Satellite Internet to stream a camera. Use a DVR to capture a high def image to identify people, and stream a lower def image to see remotely.

Make sure you get a camera that will be able to identify people's faces at whatever distance you will need. It won't do you any good to put in a camera and have something happen, only to not be able to actually make out the face(s) of those guilty. Camera placement is also important for that.

Any brand/make/model recommendations?

Just assume I have no idea about any of this stuff...because I have no idea about any of this stuff.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Just assume I have no idea about any of this stuff...because I have no idea about any of this stuff.
    If you have no idea, you might want to consider hiring someone to do the job. Do you have a budget for equipment, installation, any requisite monthly service? Things can be done on the cheap, but you will lose quality/functionality. Back to what are your requirements? Cameras that have PTZ (Pan, tilt, zoom) or a subset? Weather resistant? Wireless? Wired? Number of cameras? Cloud recording or local recording?

Remote viewing and cloud recording will of course require decent internet upload speed which is rarely highlighted in internet packages. Cloud recording will also likely require a monthly fee of some sort.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

IP cameras are a rabbit hole. I highly recommend this forum. https://ipcamtalk.com/

When I was researching, I ended up at Dahua and Lorex. Costco had an 8 channel 4K DVR plus six 4K IP POE cameras for $750.

IP POE cameras are easier to deploy, since you only have to run a single Ethernet cable, which transfers video and supplies power to the camera.

Top Bottom