• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Ok, so I'm more of a software person than a hardware person. That being said, I think my wireless router has gone out. It's a Linksys bought around 2007-8. It is throwing a signal, but there is no internet with it, and it is not sending the internet through the hard line to the desktop either. I just got a new Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet and I'm TICKED that I can't use it to its full potential in my own home.

My question, is this fixable or should I just buy a new one? (assume I'm smart enough to have replaced all the ethernet cables and power source)

Also, if anyone would like to donate a router that they are no longer using, I may know a guy interested in it. :D

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I know just enough of these things to screw them up worse. I just had to troubleshoot mine and ended up erasing the IP, static and all other associated important numbers. If you call your provider they may be able to help you a little better (what I had to do).

Also, check your router setting and see if there is a "release, renew" option for your IP address. That sometimes helps.

If you end up needing a new router look at Netgear. Ive had mine for 5 years or so and have never had a problem with it. My Linksys always gave me issues

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Try to re-boot all of your devices before you go and buy new components.

Every time we get a power spike bad enough to make the digital clocks blink, I have to pull the cord on my computers "D-Link" box to reset my hard wired computers that the D-Link control box are connected to.

Hope you figure this out.

TK

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    Try to re-boot all of your devices before you go and buy new components.

Every time we get a power spike bad enough to make the digital clocks blink, I have to pull the cord on my computers "D-Link" box to reset my hard wired computers that the D-Link control box are connected to.

Hope you figure this out.

TK

Agreed as long as you see a signal from the router then you need to reset it easy as pulling the power cord out.
    :twocents:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Greg, plug your cable/dsl modem directly into your desktop. Do you then get the internet? If you do. Leave your router uplugged (power) for 5 minutes and then plug it back in. If still no internet, probably the router has gone bye bye. if you don't get internet with the modem plugged directly in, it may be the router or the cable/dsl is just down.

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Just be glad you bought a Galaxy and not a Kindle Fire, which isn't compatible with brand new router/modem combos.

(every other device possible in the world is compatible)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Did you consider that it may be the modem or the internet signal? Hook the ethernet cable directly to the modem at one end and the other end directly to the computer, reset the modem and see if there is still no signal. If still nothing, there is no internet or the modem is at fault. The modems provided are all too often faulty or substandard.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It's not the modem, I'm on my desktop right now with the modem hardlined to the pc. It's definitely the router.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've already done the resets of all kinds. My modem hardlined into the computer works.
    Try typing this into your address bar and follow the instructions.

It is actually pretty rare for these routers to go bad, I'm going to assume you have the "WRT54G" router, the most common and durable router linksys made in that era....I'm still using the one I bought in '05 with occasional issues but never really hardware related.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Routers are relatively cheap. If you can't get a signal after logging into it and futzing with the settings then it's probably toast. I replaced mine a few months ago and got an immediate improvement in terms of speed and quality of signal. The newer ones are faster and will match up to your new toys. Head out tomorrow and get yourself a new Linksys (Cisco). I doubt you'll be disappointed.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Try typing this into your address bar and follow the instructions.

It is actually pretty rare for these routers to go bad, I'm going to assume you have the "WRT54G" router, the most common and durable router linksys made in that era....I'm still using the one I bought in '05 with occasional issues but never really hardware related.
    I tried typing what you said into my browser bar, but it didn't do anything.

I have the "WRT54GS" router.

Lilboy1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not all routers are 192.168.1.1. Some can be 192.168.0.1 or you can change the IP address if you get into the settings. It is hard to diagnose it over a forum. If the resets don't work try resetting the router with the reset button on the back. If it still doesn't then you would need someone there to look at it or go and buy another one.

Top Bottom