• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Can you guy's help me out? I have a Rock River Arms Tact entry Ar-15. I bought 500 Rounds of Wolf. Did I make a mistake? I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.:( Does anyone know how this ammo plays through RRA AR's? I've heard some horror stories about Wolf. Also, would this ammo be good enough for defense? Thanks for any input. I'm thinking I might go with surplus mil-spec ammo.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have heard both horror stories and "never had a problem" stories.

A great friend of mine tried Wolf in his AR-15 and after a couple of rounds of the polymer coated stuff, he had a shell fail to eject. It was glued into the chamber. I used the cleaning rod from my AK to pound it out. He tried another round with the same result. Took the rifle home, I did a thorough cleaning of the barrel and chamber, as well as the extractor.

Back to the range, one round, one glued in empty.

All I can say is try it but make sure you have a good cleaning rod around just in case.

I have had problems myself with the polymer coated Wolf in both an SAR-3 and a Norinco 84S-1. After a full mag run quickly through as many of us enjoy doing with these toys, a couple of rounds into the second mag, I had an empty glue itself in place. We checked the empties laying on the ground and you could see where as the rifle heated up, it started melting the coating until there was enough residue in the chamber to lock things up.

As I said earlier, try it and see what happens. I hope you are one of the lucky ones that don't have any issues. Good luck.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can't speak of recent experience, but I think some of the bad reports you hear are based on issues a few years back.

I tried wolf when the poly coated first came out. I bought maybe 3-4000 rounds over a year period. It all ran fine thru (2) of my RRA's... then when I bought the next case, about every other round short stroked. I ruled it inconsistent junk at the time and never tried it again. From people I know that has tried it more recently, I wouldn't be afraid to give it another try. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think the AR can be a bit of a finicky beast; its a precision weapon system, after all.

I shoot Wolf in my AK all the time, though; cheap gun gets cheap ammo. No problems so far, but the AK has a lot looser tolerances and is designed to eat the crappiest ammo in the crappiest conditions.

I've heard of people using Wolf in their AR's without a problem, though; all depends on the individual gun, really.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have shot Wolf ammo in my Smith AR with nary a problem. Usually slow fire, no more than a magazine. Perhaps the slow fire allowed the AR not to heat up fast.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, I've heard the lacquer will do that, and the case will expand and jam itself in the chamber. Best I can tell is this stuff unpredictable at best. Thanks

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The reason I ask about Rock River AR's is they use the Wylde chamber, Which is a middle ground for 5.56 and .223 ammo. I don't know if that makes a difference though. I guess I'll just have to shot and see what happens.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've never used Wolf ammo so I don't get all the debating, but I thought Tim at Military Arms Channel did a nice video on the topic.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/132994-myths_about_wolf_ammo.html

Wow! That was great! Thanks. Now, he mentioned a timing issue with shorter barreled AR's that would cause problems. Mines 16 inches, that would put in that range. Does RRA's have this issue?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Wow! That was great! Thanks. Now, he mentioned a timing issue with shorter barreled AR's that would cause problems. Mines 16 inches, that would put in that range. Does RRA's have this issue?

He said a gas timing issue didn't he? I need to rewatch it when I can.

For the record my brand new Stag upper didn't like Wolf at all. I plan to try it again in the future.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    He said a gas timing issue didn't he? I need to rewatch it when I can.

For the record my brand new Stag upper didn't like Wolf at all. I plan to try it again in the future.

He said some have it, some don't. He said very specifically that he had shoot thousands of rounds through this carbine AR. It was a older AR designed to shoot 5.56. Mine is brand new designed for either 5.56 or .223, with its Wylde chamber.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    There is so much rumor, misinformation and outright backwards info, that I dont even know where to start.

I will let someone else handle the correcting.

But what the other poster said is true, you will have to try it out in your particular gun.

Wolf is both steel cased, and underpowered, which is a bad combo for a out of spec AR.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I used to have a RRA and wolf was nearly all I put through it...never had a problem with it at all....cheap plinking ammo...just a little dirty, but that's the majority of ammo usually....

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Can you guy's help me out? I have a Rock River Arms Tact entry Ar-15. I bought 500 Rounds of Wolf. Did I make a mistake? I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.:( Does anyone know how this ammo plays through RRA AR's? I've heard some horror stories about Wolf. Also, would this ammo be good enough for defense? Thanks for any input. I'm thinking I might go with surplus mil-spec ammo.

How about you give me the 500 rounds, and I will happily test it out of my 16" RRA. I will even let you watch. :): In all seriousness, I haven't shot any Wolf out of my AR, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. It has eaten everything that I have put through it.

Top Bottom