Wolves in Indiana, Marion county Indianapolis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    They have their nice thick winter coats now, so they will look bigger than they are.

They're also lanky, and we're not used to seeing such long legged dogs, so that throws off the size estimates as well.

At any rate, it's a good thing that you spotted them before they did any damage.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I only saw one, but there clearly TWO print tracks. Bastards were baiting my pup. lol. The fur expalins the reason why I saw it so thick. And the legs were a bit slim, I can't say for sure. There wasn't much light.

Also, I'm considered Indianaoplis, but I'm in Marion County, Franklin Township. Not in the city itself, more like a subburb 20 mins south from downtown. My lot is about 3/4 acre and there is alot of farm land around the area, and I swore I saw a horse ranch on Franklin Road.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The prints seem pretty small. Snow is deep and the photos are not very clear to show the paw outline, but it seems like it was just a coyote or a dog. Or maybe the pups of Cerberus escaped from Hades.

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    Yep indy has some big yotes , I have seen them now and then around white river , on the very near south side . I was working nights and eating lunch in my truck and saw a dog running around inside fenced in parking lot , it was heading my way so i was going to give it part of my sandwich . about 15 yards away and i seen it from the side, YOTE on steroids , its back was over knee high . Just looked bigger than yotes i have seen in other parts of the country.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Feral dogs are becoming a problem here in Indy and they are very good at working together when they are preying on something. I have personally ran into a pair on my commute and they gave chase knowing that I would have to go in a certain direction. When I took off I noticed that there were more waiting in the ditch just down the road from me. My only option was to maintain course and dodge the ones waiting in the ditch. I made it past them sucessfully by just yelling real loud trying to throw them off guard. This all occured at Churchman and Pleasant Run Parkway on the near southeast side of Indy. I have seen another pack of @ 8-10 running the creek on the east side of Sarah Shank Golf Course.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Yeah, to my eyes, it looked like a full grown Siberian Husky, but not as puffy. I think I over estimated the weight. The dogs I've seen that heavy are pits, but those dogs are skin and muscle. And muscle is 3x heavier than fat. But it was definately big.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Feral dogs are becoming a problem here in Indy and they are very good at working together when they are preying on something. I have personally ran into a pair on my commute and they gave chase knowing that I would have to go in a certain direction. When I took off I noticed that there were more waiting in the ditch just down the road from me. My only option was to maintain course and dodge the ones waiting in the ditch. I made it past them sucessfully by just yelling real loud trying to throw them off guard. This all occured at Churchman and Pleasant Run Parkway on the near southeast side of Indy. I have seen another pack of @ 8-10 running the creek on the east side of Sarah Shank Golf Course.

All my 26 years of martial arts training wouldn't have saved me from a pac of feral dogs. In that scenario, a firearm is your best friend. I know Indy is a 'No Fire' city, but would you get in a world of trouble if you let a round off to scare the pack away? 5-8 dogs would tear anyone apart.

Kudos on keeping your head to the task. Wild animals are wild. And they answer to no laws.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Stuff has been said - but I'll say this. I've seen coyotes. and Coy-Dogs (mixes of coyotes and stray/feral dogs) ... I had a coy-dog on my patio ... got within 10 ft. of it several times while walking my Golden Retriever.

IF you go way back - coyotes were VERY rare east of the Mississippi River (other predators were here) ... they generally hunting solitary or in pairs and hunted rodents and similar small game. But they are dogs, and therefore operate in families. Now they are nearer to the top of the predator list here - and they have been learning to hunt in bigger family units, i.e. packs. - I'd say average for a coyote is 30-50 lbs. ... I think the legs look longer than other dogs this size.

The coy dog I was was a little bigger (some could be much bigger). It walked off. didn't run or spook like coyotes I've seen. Wild animals 'bug out' ... this just trotted off. A later time when I saw it - it was marking its turf right off my apartment patio with my GR going INSANE inside. and still just trotted away.

There are no 'wild'/native wolves here - just these "mini wolf" packs. I've heard them and seen them passing in the night.

as to the OP's PUPPY not barking ... it's a PUPPY ... probably didn't notice; when it grows up it will probably be more interested. -For example my golden will PLAY with anything - but I KNOW when its a coyote vs. a dog or anything else - his bark goes 'wild' like hair on the back of your neck standing up and curling INSANE WILD ... Fierce = scary.

Keep an eye on the puppy when out. and LISTEN - coyotes do howl (very cool sound) - but it also tell you they're in the area. - oh They Coy-Dog was in Fishers (Lantern and 106th). I've seen the coyotes for about 7 yrs off and on from Alexandria, out-side of Anderson, and on the edge of Noblesville where I live now.

just my :twocents:

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    This is what you do: Immediately go and get you a 3 wolf t-shirt and go outside and project your dominance. The wolf will see your shirt and recognize you as a pack leader and then will become submissive to you! Problem solved.

Last edited:

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    This is what you do: Immediately go and get you a 3 wolf t-shirt and go outside and promote your dominance. The wolf will see your shirt and recognize you as a pack leader and then will become submissive to you! Problem solved.

I'll try that next time. No sweat. LoL. I'll have this feral dog bringing me the newspaper in no time.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    If you think MA training will do you any good against 1 Feral Dog, you might want to gather just a tad bit more info on what Feral Animals are capable of doing...

I'm looking up pic on google for Feral dogs and coy-dogs, I'll see if any have a resemblance to the one I think I saw today.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Holy snap. It was definately something like this with more fur. And a bit longer legs.

cricket051.jpg

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    ... I know Indy is a 'No Fire' city, but would you get in a world of trouble if you let a round off to scare the pack away? 5-8 dogs would tear anyone apart. ...
    Provided you don't live in Carmel and your name isn't LibertySanders. ;)

If you are in fear for your health or they attack your dog, you have good reason to protect yourself.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    My siberian husky is about 55-60 pounds, right now his fur is well over 2 inches thick. That makes him 4 inches wider and bigger, with all that fur he has right now he looks more like he weighs 80-90lbs. I will post pics of him when I get home so you can see for yourself.

Edit pics, I think it would be hard to confuse them with a wolf, but maybe thats just me...

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0460.jpg

Hes only about 1/2 the size that he looks because of all his fur...

Last edited:

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I know Indy is a 'No Fire' city, but would you get in a world of trouble if you let a round off to scare the pack away? 5-8 dogs would tear anyone apart.

Don't shoot to scare them off. Shoot to kill. I believe someone got in trouble for shooting a gun to scare off a dog that was attacking him. Basically, the police said, "If you were REALLY in fear for your life, you would have shot the dog."

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I saw them again yesterday night when the moon was out. It was enough light to get a good hard look at them. This is what I saw. Just like 45-pro's Husky. But with a Coyote face. They weren't as big as I saw them the first time, but nevertheless hungry. I could estimate them at about 50 to 60 pounds now, if my lab is almost at 15 pounds already. This time, Sammy did notice them and took a stance. I don't know what she thinks she would have done, lol. They looked our way (Two coy-dogs) and were walking slowly towards us. They must have been at the 200 foot mark again. But they weren't running. So I gathered Sammy and brought her in. Looked through my window and they were gone.

I saw a new set of tracks in my yard, and it was confirmed that it was a deer. The wooded area beyond my yard must attract these animals. If they come within range, I'll worry about it then, but for now, they are keeping their distance.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    It could be a Husky that got loose and is running with a pack or something. My husky howls exactly like a wolf does, even points his head up and everything. I can imagine if it was one, its owner is probably REALLY wanting him back. I know i would. They are great dogs, and very very bright. These aren't dogs that you can find easily for cheap...trust me i know. I paid $971 for mine, but he did already have his shots, pedigree, and micro-chipping done.

Either way keep an eye on them, and report back with updates....

Top Bottom