Wolves in Indiana, Marion county Indianapolis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Another thing, Dont shoot them unless you or your pups life is in danger. If it is a Husky, i know they can be imtimidating to a lot of people, but they are more likely to shy away from someone than anything. Even if they have been beaten/abused, instead of becoming vicious, they are likely to be shy/scared of people.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I was outside messing around in the front yard, and a neighbor was walking his Husky. Jesus what a beatiful beast. Those animals weren't huskies. They had a Coyote face, and not as furry as a husky. They looked strong, as if they eat regularly.

But does that normally happen? If a dog get's loose, he'll just join a pack?

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I don't intend to, I didn't buy a gun to shoot at animals. It was more for target shooting etc. But if they do run apon me and Sammy, I'll let them have a few rounds.

I can tell when an animal is being hostile, I've seen many of them. They used to fight pits on the streets of the Bronx as if it were legal to do so. And I've seen a couple of stray rabbid dogs. Another sight that's not pretty.

These Coy-dogs were just walking. In no rush, maybe they just ate, but it's better safe than sorry. Everytime I see them, I'll just hurry Sammy inside. If they give chase, then it's another ball game.

Keeping your distance is a universal gesture of communication.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    That's a beautiful dog by the way. I originally wanted one just like that, a wolf. But my lady said they grow too big. So I settled for a Lab. Has anyone tried to breed a Lab with a Husky? I can't even imagine the beast that would form.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I was outside messing around in the front yard, and a neighbor was walking his Husky. Jesus what a beatiful beast. Those animals weren't huskies. They had a Coyote face, and not as furry as a husky. They looked strong, as if they eat regularly.

But does that normally happen? If a dog get's loose, he'll just join a pack?

Not nessesarily, if the dog was treated well it will most likely come back home. Most dogs that get loose usually happens because it gets excited about seeing something and takes off without thinking. Husky's have been known to bolt out of a house and run for MILES before stopping. By that time they may be confused as to where they are, but will usually show up at the doorstep in a day or two. Mine however i've trained to stay in the 2 acre yard we have. he has been quite tempted to run after our neighbors cats but will not do so since he has been trained properly.

If the dog was abused or not cared for well(not fed on a regular basis) a lot of times they will run off to get away from the owner and to find food. These are the dogs you'll most likely see that will join little "packs" and run around together. They mostly do this to make it easier to get food. Not to say a well cared for dog wont do this, because dogs were at one time free to do it and still have that in their DNA, but it is not as likely to happen when everything they need is right at home.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    That's a beautiful dog by the way. I originally wanted one just like that, a wolf. But my lady said they grow too big. So I settled for a Lab. Has anyone tried to breed a Lab with a Husky? I can't even imagine the beast that would form.

Thank you,
    One of my friends has a husky/ lab mix. Not my cup of tea but he loves them(1 male 1 female). I will post pics of them if i can find it.

RR2.jpg

RR.jpg

The lighter one is the female. They are full-grown now and look nothing like they do as pups. IMO they were very cute pups, but not so much when they got bigger. The female looks almost 100% Lab full grown and the male looks 50/50mix. He is kinda odd looking to me, cute as a puppy though.

Last edited:

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Nice pups. My lady wanted a british bulldog. To call him Mr. Al Bondigas (translates to meatballs from spanish. lol) But I'm sorry, they are cute when they are pups but are ugly dogs. The lab/husky mix isn't so good looking either. But they are very cute pups. Thanks for sharing.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I saw a DNR truck hauling a HUGE Coyote up 31 from the greenwood area about two weeks ago. They are probably hungry and moving into the city

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Not nessesarily, if the dog was treated well it will most likely come back home. Most dogs that get loose usually happens because it gets excited about seeing something and takes off without thinking. Husky's have been known to bolt out of a house and run for MILES before stopping. By that time they may be confused as to where they are, but will usually show up at the doorstep in a day or two. Mine however i've trained to stay in the 2 acre yard we have. he has been quite tempted to run after our neighbors cats but will not do so since he has been trained properly.

If the dog was abused or not cared for well(not fed on a regular basis) a lot of times they will run off to get away from the owner and to find food. These are the dogs you'll most likely see that will join little "packs" and run around together. They mostly do this to make it easier to get food. Not to say a well cared for dog wont do this, because dogs were at one time free to do it and still have that in their DNA, but it is not as likely to happen when everything they need is right at home.

This my second Husky. Even with "proper" training I'd be cautious about letting him run free on 2 acres. Their nature is to run, it will only take that one time and he'll be gone. :twocents:
    http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/bigdawgtrucks/?action=view&current=Dec2009035.jpg

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    Coyote may look harmless and shy, but approach very careful. They can tear that a** up. Packs in the woods are almost fearless. Always be wary with your pets.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    This past deer season I saw 2 large males and 1 small female coyote tracking deer. I would see the deer early in the morning or late evening and about 5 minutes later there would be 1 or 2 coyotes tracking them. I came out of the woods one morning to head home and there was decent sized 4 point dead in the field, it wasn't there the evening before. I went to check it out and didn't find any bullet holes, just shreds of hide and flesh gone.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Coy-dogs dont exist,can a dog breed a fox? but its a canine, a yoty does not breed with our mutts to make half breeds.they eat dogs if they can. Ive heard it all my life about a 'mix' ,been a trapper all my life ,never seen a coyoty/dog mix ,never will. Ive heard it from animal scientist that it dont happen.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    There is a couple of wolf/hybrid breeders outside of Mooresville.

Not saying thats what you may be seeing but they are popular amongst some people.
    Pretty cool to look at, defiantly gets ones attention.
    Mine would rear up on it's hind legs when attacking stray dogs that came around.

Was a best friend to our rot/lab mix.
    Was a better friend to me.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Coy-dogs dont exist,can a dog breed a fox? but its a canine, a yoty does not breed with our mutts to make half breeds.they eat dogs if they can. Ive heard it all my life about a 'mix' ,been a trapper all my life ,never seen a coyoty/dog mix ,never will. Ive heard it from animal scientist that it dont happen.

That particular scientist might not be qualified to tell you that. I have seen them and have talked to several dnr officers that knew of the pack close to an area I hunt in southern part of the state. Also a coyote will attack male dogs and bite of the reproductive organs. (trying to be poltically correct lol) They will however breed to a female dog. They have a pack mentality and will try to increase the size of the pack.

Top Bottom