• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Shooting sim rounds at civilian civics class volunteers is going to be a tough one to get past the "reasonable administrator sniff-test." I'm betting the fallout climbs well above the level of the officer involved, and I can envision all such activities getting canceled, pronto.

Sure would be nice to get more details though. Was this a conversion unit, or can dedicated pistols fire real rounds with sufficient force to kill someone? I really don't understand.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Does that mean they are mutually exclusive??

Accidents and murder are generally mutually exclusive.

Accidents and negligence are not and often live side-by-side.

Looks like the officer who killed this woman is not just a crap magnet, but has a history as a loose canon and is a gypsy. I pity the department that backs him up...

I just thank God that we have a plaintiff's lawyer with a pending lawsuit to give us an objective analysis of the matter.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Shooting sim rounds at civilian civics class volunteers is going to be a tough one to get past the "reasonable administrator sniff-test." I'm betting the fallout climbs well above the level of the officer involved, and I can envision all such activities getting canceled, pronto.

Sure would be nice to get more details though. Was this a conversion unit, or can dedicated pistols fire real rounds with sufficient force to kill someone? I really don't understand.

It depends entirely on what product they are using. There are some training rounds designed to be fired from regular pistols. Code Eagle marking ammo can be fired from a regular .38 cal revolver. UTM conversions have offset firing pins and will not fire standard ammunition.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sims, UTM, and AirSoft replicas and scenario Force on Force is the (relatively) new hotness in the training world. Some would say it provides many training benefits that can't be had on the "square range", but definitely involves pointing guns, or gun shaped objects at people. Would you say this kind of training is a bad idea? Too dangerous to be of use?

We are going to be very honest about the gun culture now.

1. You bet Force on Force training is valuable. Without question.

2. Force on Force training draws Mall Ninjas and Poggie McStumblef**ks like honey draws flies.

3. Force on Force is offered and done by FAR too many that have not mastered the basics such as . . . designing a gd protocol that prevents innocents from being shot or knowing that all guns are always loaded and think that being blase about gun safety is hip and cool.

4. The bigger threat to me and to you is me and you. The person in the mirror is your biggest threat, drill to defeat that person.

5. Once you have mastered gun handling, then it is time to crawl, walk, jog, run, then jog, then run again.

FAR too many people are doing Force on Force that have no business being on a square range without a handler.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It depends entirely on what product they are using. There are some training rounds designed to be fired from regular pistols. Code Eagle marking ammo can be fired from a regular .38 cal revolver. UTM conversions have offset firing pins and will not fire standard ammunition.

Does it actually say in any of the articles that Sims guns were being used? I must be missing that.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Does it actually say in any of the articles that Sims guns were being used? I must be missing that.

What you did not miss is the way of thinking that leads to a safe training environment, and not just in equipment handling. While I gained much from your class a few months back, it stands out to me that you understood that I didn't feel up to roughhousing and applied no expectations or pressure to do so. While I thought I was simply not feeling well, it wasn't long after that I landed in the hospital with congestive heart failure. Had there been someone pressuring me into more participation than was comfortable that day, my hospital visit may well have been moved up a bit. Thanks for teaching that class in a way conducive to my well-being!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

No. It wasn't explicitly stated. It said role play a use of force scenario. Mistaking your real blaster for your marking blaster is the fist thought that comes to mind. It could be something else entirely.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What you did not miss is the way of thinking that leads to a safe training environment, and not just in equipment handling. While I gained much from your class a few months back, it stands out to me that you understood that I didn't feel up to roughhousing and applied no expectations or pressure to do so. While I thought I was simply not feeling well, it wasn't long after that I landed in the hospital with congestive heart failure. Had there been someone pressuring me into more participation than was comfortable that day, my hospital visit may well have been moved up a bit. Thanks for teaching that class in a way conducive to my well-being!

Wow! Sorry to hear about the health issues. I hope that things are working out for you. Thank you for letting me know we did right by you. Ultimately the safety of our students is the prime directive. That is why incidents like the one we are discussing here are important to dissect correctly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wow! Sorry to hear about the health issues. I hope that things are working out for you. Thank you for letting me know we did right by you. Ultimately the safety of our students is the prime directive. That is why incidents like the one we are discussing here are important to dissect correctly.

Thanks for a great class. I started to write a PM, but changed my mind since I believe that when you do things right, everyone should know.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I read one response on social media that it was supposed to be blanks but I have no hard evidence of that. I was skeptical that they were going to pull some random old lady out of the crowd and shoot her with simunitions.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I read one response on social media that it was supposed to be blanks but I have no hard evidence of that. I was skeptical that they were going to pull some random old lady out of the crowd and shoot her with simunitions.

Yeah what I read was that it was supposed to be blanks and the police were totally unaware that live rounds existed for the weapon in question. I almost wonder if someone didn't plan this to happen and put a live round in it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    2. Force on Force training draws Mall Ninjas and Poggie McStumblef**ks like honey draws flies.

Lols...

The shirt's inspired:

28286335713_dd9772eb65_o.png

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

1. You bet Force on Force training is valuable. Without question.

3. Force on Force is offered and done by FAR too many that have not mastered the basics such as . . . designing a gd protocol that prevents innocents from being shot or knowing that all guns are always loaded and think that being blase about gun safety is hip and cool.

4. The bigger threat to me and to you is me and you. The person in the mirror is your biggest threat, drill to defeat that person.

5. Once you have mastered gun handling, then it is time to crawl, walk, jog, run, then jog, then run again.

FAR too many people are doing Force on Force that have no business being on a square range without a handler.

And yet some people think it's a great idea to immerse newbs in force on force training with simunition or some other marking training pistols. For the reasons you mentioned above, I think it's a horribly bad idea.

Blanks? If that's true, it's potentially even more stupid. People (Jon Erik Hexum, Brandon Lee) have died when blanks discharged too close to them. And then there's the having functional weapons, whether loaded with blanks of not, available. UGH.

Top Bottom