• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ladies, looking for a rundown of what you are carrying. My girl is in the market for a new handgun, and we are going to do some test shooting and plenty of looking around. Consider this part of the looking around :)

She has average girl-size hands, so [for example] a double-stack 9mm is out for her. She tried one yesterday and it's just not comfortable for her.

So looking for single stack here, light pull, easy on the recoil. She has a .22 (Ruger Mark III) and is not adverse to another one. Please, this is not intended to be a thread about the merits or lack thereof of a .22. This is a thread looking for information to help find her a gun(s) that she enjoys shooting...caliber is a non-factor, this is all about her comfort and enjoyment.

Interested to hear what some other women are carrying, please ring in!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The disadvantage of a revolver is that it's bulkier. A pistol definitely has a slimmer profile. I think someone has a Bodyguard .380 for sale in the classifieds.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I carry a Glock 26. I have short fingers but can grip it just fine. What model double stack 9mm did she try? Ergonomics are different between models and double stack is often not as big a factor in fit and comfort as it might seem. Not every firearm houses the magazine in the same package.

Couple of things to keep in mind...

1. Smaller, compact firearms are going to be harder to shoot/handle for a recoil-sensitive shooter or one with grip issues. So smaller isn't necessarily better.

2. Revolvers are a great choice for simplicity of use. They also offer a good variety of grips and ergonomics. But unless the shooter is immune to recoil issues or willing to handle the beating for the sake of small and light, I absolutely do not recommend the lightweight snub revolvers. Especially not for women.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My LCR was my first gun, and I have no problem shooting it. My first time at the range, I hit chest and torso on the silhouette 33 out of 35 shots. YMMV

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My first two guns are both .45 acp...a Springfield Ultra Compact and a Taurus. I like both but they can be bulky to conceal. I also have a Taurus pt22 and love the pop up barrel and no need to rack the slide. The 22 is very easy to conceal and lightweight but accurate. Picky about ammo but seems to like Federal or CCI.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My LCR was my first gun, and I have no problem shooting it. My first time at the range, I hit chest and torso on the silhouette 33 out of 35 shots. YMMV

My first was a GP100 with .357s loaded. That doesn't mean it's a good choice for certain shooters, particularly new shooters and/or women who typically have more trouble with recoil, grip, and loud sounds. It was pretty clear to the discerning reader that the comments were based on a specific set of conditions. It should go without saying that if those conditions are not present, the recommendations may not apply. Pointing out that your singular experience differs from the average isn't saying much. It simply means you aren't affected by the conditional parameters.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I carry a S&W M&P40c and a Colt Series 80 Officer's Model. I do have larger hands then most females I've met, although I don't find the grips on those two to be too big. The 40c does have a double stack mag, where as the Colt does not. The nice thing about the M&P is the change-able back straps.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    What I carry depends on what I'm doing/wearing. My normal carry is a G26 (I really don't get that double stack comment). My other favorite carry is a Kimber .45 compact. I also have revolvers that are easy to carry. Pretty much - if she likes it, she'll carry it.
    My sister has a LCP and I would not recommend it because it is super nasty to shoot so she never practices with it. If .380 is her thing, check out the Sig P238. My 100 pound 5' niece carries either a P238 or a Glock 23 (40 cal) that she "stole" from the boyfriend.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Might try to find a SIG P6/P225 single-stack 9mm. I do like the Bodyguard 380, but the trigger pull is long and somewhat stiff. Good for a BUG, maybe not so great for a new shooter. Also worth trying for yourself, though. Also, as someone mentioned, some of the doublestack nines would probably be viable for her, she'll just have to get her hands on them to try them. The Canik55 Stingray-C is a very affordable CZ clone that has good doublestack ergonomics.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I should also note that I don't worry about concealing much. If I must, I wear a hoodie or a jacket.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife started out with a Walther PK380 for carry. She quickly changed up to a PF-9, more bang smaller package. Later on she traded her PK380 off for a S&W BG380. Then she decided to go to a revolver ( she actually already had a .44 Mag, but wanted something a but easier to carry) and went with the Ruger LCR in 38 +P. Recently she picked up a 3" Speed Six for those days when she wants to carry something with a bit more punch.

She also has been known to carry a Taurus PT-92, though its a rare occasion that she will due to its size. Lots of good options out there, just have to get out and put some steel (or polymer) in her hands to see what she likes.

Top Bottom