Yeah, baby! It's just. Like. THAT.

IMG_0705.jpg

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Maybe a stupid question but does anybody sell a "complete kit" for a reloading outfit or where's the best place to look for all the components?

(Edit) sorry I now see there is an entire area about reloading
    Thanks

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Good looking rounds, Annie! I like the calipers too. Are you going to post a range report when you shoot them?:ar15:

So I shot them and I was fairly disappointed.
    Out of every 25 or so, four would FTF (fail to feed). Of the FTFs, half would be nose up half way into the chamber. Half would be level on top of the mag...being nose into the interior wall of the grip.

Enough of them did it to convince me it was an OAL issue, so I decided to reset my seat die.

I grabbed a box of my favorite factory ammo (Mag Tech) and measured them all.
    The OAL ranged from 1.262 to 1.268. I took one that was 1.266 to use as my baseline.

I loosened the seater plug lock nut and backed the seater plug out just a little. Then I put that Mag Tech round in the shell holder and rammed it all the way up into the seat die. I turned the seater plug down until I felt it touch the round nose of the bullet and I set the lock nut right there.

I loaded about a dozen with my new OAL, 1.266 because I didn't want to load a zillion of them yet if it wasn't what I wanted or if there were still issues to address.
    Also, I had Jay check my work when he showed up today. Then we went to the range and shot them. I think they're exactly what I want.

Here's what they are:
    (variety of brass)
    Winchester primers
    Rainier plated RN bullets 230 gr
    Hodgdon Clays powder at 4.2 charge. (I'll be setting the screw on the powder measure's micrometer there, too...I like it!)
    :) :yesway:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    You sound like someone who has loaded a while. I looked up my stats from when I had a 1911(Charles Daily) 45 ACP and my OAL was 1.265 with the 230gr. RN, Full Metal Jacket and lead. That Kimber chamber must be tight!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You sound like someone who has loaded a while. I looked up my stats from when I had a 1911(Charles Daily) 45 ACP and my OAL was 1.265 with the 230gr. RN, Full Metal Jacket and lead. That Kimber chamber must be tight!

Thanks for the encouragement! Reps to you! :)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I thought this thread was about the old west days when the men put the wagons in a circle and shot at the Indians and the women reloaded the guns for them when they shot them empty!!! J/K :D

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i would back them down to 1.220 OAL.....i found that was a happy medium for my Denfender.Gold Cup and FNP-45.....6gr's of Unique 230gr RN FMJ....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    i would back them down to 1.220 OAL.....i found that was a happy medium for my Denfender.Gold Cup and FNP-45.....6gr's of Unique 230gr RN FMJ....

But 1.220 may be what YOUR Defender likes...
    That's not necessarily what my Kimber would dig.
    Just as there is "too long", there's also "too short"...
    I don't mind playing with a few thousandths or so either way...but what you're talking about might just be specific to you. :yesway:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    But 1.220 may be what YOUR Defender likes...
    That's not necessarily what my Kimber would dig.
    Just as there is "too long", there's also "too short"...
    I don't mind playing with a few thousandths or so either way...but what you're talking about might just be specific to you. :yesway:

yes just sayin' what worked for me....1.262 was just way to long for mine.....every gun is different....trial and error... :draw:

Top Bottom