• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Could you post a picture of your round? That might help us. Those Berry's aren't cannelured are they? I believe that a taper crimp should be used if they do not have a crimp groove.

I've not used Unique but I do have good results with W231 and Titegroup in my .357. I can give you a load and even send a couple sample rounds your way if you like.

I haven't made up any more, so no pics I'm afraid. It's definitely time for a new powder. I might just splurge and grab a keg of each, Titegroup and 231. I'm sure I'll be able to put it to good use.

If this will help anyone, I finally got a good group out of the 125 gr Berry's bullets, but not in .38. I loaded some in the .357 magnum over 12.5 gr AA#9. I sparked it with Winchester Magnum primers. The book said 1390 fps, I didn't chrono them. It has a real snappy recoil and is plenty loud and a little smoky, but 20 shots went into just over 2 inches at 50 feet. That is 1/2 the size of the best group I ever got in the .38. Those little bugers need full throttle to fly right. I'll probably not be buying more.

I'm thinking the same thing. Some of my loads felt like they weren't getting complete ignition. The Unique might work better with a magnum primer, maybe I'll experiment with that.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Might try cast 158gr.-they're cheap and common.Whatever you use,bullet dia. needs to be bore size [at least] to seal the powder gasses behind the bullet,otherwise velocity/accuracy will be inconsistent. Lead will swell somewhat [obturate is the term,I think] when fired-esp. w/fast burning powders-I like red dot for lite 38 target loads,only takes a little!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Not enough powder will also not burn completely, too much crimp on lead/ plated bullets will cause them to shoot bad also. Be careful and not recommended to try mag primers in place of small primers place.

A 38sp twist rate is more for 148gr to 158gr bullets. Bullseye comes highly recommended, don't give up on the Unique, get some 148gr or 158gr bullets and then try it out.

Top Bottom