• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    My grandparents would tell us that kidneys were good but you must first boil the p*** out of em’. I was a kid, took them seriously. Still never had them.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Also known as Pawn Haus(sp?).
    'fraid I'll have to disagree.

I agree scrapple is great.
    Beef tongue, my father used to boil them in a big pot on the stove and then slice them up and make sandwiches with them.

Beef tongue is better than the filet. Maybe it was the method / preparation that threw it off.
    Cottage cheese (large curd) with canned pears or pineapple. :drool:

Agree with you except I prefer small curd. Also for a dessert if you like cottage cheese and haven’t had “fluff” you’re missing out.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My mom used to boil the beef tongue and then slice it and fry it. We all ate it and never really thought much about it.

I know a lot of people love it for making tacos.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You related to my wife? She cant stand them either. I love them. Scalloped as well.

I forgot about scalloped potatoes. I change my answer, those are even worse. So bad my brain wants to forget them.

Interestingly enough I like cheese, I like potatoes and I like cheese on my potatoes.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Twice I've had to finish meals of boar meat after realizing with the first bite that it wasn't normal pork. I can't even stand the smell of it cooking without getting nauseous so those were the two worst that come quickly to mind.

You know how you make boar meat even worse? You add fennel, copious amounts of fennel.

On a related note, boar warthog tastes just as bad as intact male domestic or feral hogs do. When I went hunting in South Africa we stopped at a country market on the way to the farm and the outfitter recommended I try a type of handheld meat pastry filled with meat and gravy that was very popular there. I made the mistake of picking warthog as the meat, though it likely would have been very tasty if it hadn't been from a boar warthog.

At our place, cheeks never made it past being boiled. Most best'ist piece of meat on a hog.
    For a German Kid, If you find a snout in the caldron, it gets you a better prize than finding the Green Pickle Ornament on the Christmas Tree. :whistle:
    When my family would butcher when I was a kid all of my cousins used to fight over the kidneys fresh from the cauldron... they were always more than welcome to my share.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Chitterlings (“chitlins”) for me. Pickled pigs feet are a close second. I’m usually VERY open-minded with food as well, but I won’t even bother with lutefisk based on reviews… :lmfao:

I’m not sure where double salted licorice would fall in my ranking, but it’s up there. I made the same mistake as you OP, bought some thinking it would be great because I love real licorice. I was dead wrong lol.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Never had Skyline Chili, but have a relevant story. One summer after my freshman year in highschool, my dad and I went on a trip to Kentucky to hike through the Red Gorge area. On our way back, we stopped in Cincinnati for a night and walked around randomly for a bit. We walked next to a Skyline Chili there and noticed there was a torrent of water flowing through its doors. It was like 10:30 at night, and the place had been closed for a while. We looked through the window and saw that there was literally 3 feet of standing water behind the glass storefront caused by what appeared to be a sink on full blast with a toilet plunger plugging its drain.

While we were encountering the flooded chili joint, firetrucks and ambulances were a block down the street at a gym dealing with someone who died on a treadmill. Deciding to be good Samaritans, we decided to try and say something to them, but they already left. Seeing the firetruck driving around the block, my dad decided to run into the street waving his arms like he was on fire in an attempt to stop the truck. They stopped, and we told about the situation. Around 15 minutes later, the firemen from the truck as well as around ten beat cops arrived. Everyone was in disbelief. Wouldn't want to be the manager that got that call in the night.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    When I was 13, my dad let me have a bite of a steak from some fancy restaurant in town that had some sort of spread on it. I'm not exaggerating when I say I almost went into shock over how bad that tasted. I for the life of me can't remember what that stuff was, but I've been told it may have been some sort of caper spread.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Kangaroo jerky. Makes me jumpy.

images

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Chitterlings (“chitlins”) for me. Pickled pigs feet are a close second. I’m usually VERY open-minded with food as well, but I won’t even bother with lutefisk based on reviews… :lmfao:

I’m not sure where double salted licorice would fall in my ranking, but it’s up there. I made the same mistake as you OP, bought some thinking it would be great because I love real licorice. I was dead wrong lol.
    I couldnt get over how much salt was in them. It wasnt in my mouth 10 seconds before I had to spit it out then go rinse my mouth.

rotag84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Cactus. Served in a local restaurant in AZ. It was raw but peeled. No flavor, had to chew it incessantly go get it down. They prolly served it as a joke to see if people would actually try to eat it. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cactus. Served in a local restaurant in AZ. It was raw but peeled. No flavor, had to chew it incessantly go get it down. They prolly served it as a joke to see if people would actually try to eat it. ;)
    There's a Mexican place by me that serves a dish with cactus in it.

MOLCAJETE
    Rib-eye steak, chicken breast, six shrimp and chorizo (Mexican sausage) with onions, nopales (cactus), fresh jalapeños and cheese. Served with rice, beans and warm tortillas

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I love horehound candy, but it's an acquired taste. I took a bag to work one day and offered one to 7 people. 4 spit it out.
    I ordered a steak sandwich around 1968 at the Tunnel Diner on the Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel. That sandwich cost me 2/3 of my per diem. I took 2 bites.

Top Bottom