• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    The first handgun I ever bought was a lemon, since then I have tried hard to not make a poor buy (in terms of the gun itself) by thoroughly researching each and every gun I bought. However I have had a pretty raw deal before I swallowed willingly and regretted later. Like buying a gun at well over the average going rate impulsively, based on imagined necessity. Worse was selling it later only to taste that regret again as I lost again by only managing to recoup 60% of the going rate. Buying a junk gun and getting screwed is one thing, buying a decent gun and still getting screwed, that's a sour flavor!
    AMEN! I have started to think, that anyone purchasing a new firearm now, is getting the shaft. Prices are so over blown, and yes, I know all about supply and demand. Maybe gun people are causing these awful prices, maybe it is all the new shooters. Prices just don't need to be this high in my opinion. Gun prices now, at least where I live, bring a whole new meaning to the word absurd. Add to this, the fact that so many new guns have to be returned at least once before they work right, and that adds to it all. According to my gun shop, it's not just the Taurus, Kel-Tec, Diamondback ect. types, but the top of the line guns also. At least the shop where I go, will with in a year, send back any gun you buy from them for repair, no charge.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    S&W sigma .40 cal. First handgun I bought. I was so excited when I got it and then I was like wow that glock trigger is way better. Wow that xd trigger is way better. Wait a min I got ripped.:dunno:

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Iv had problems with more than a few of my firearms, some new some used. New Glock30 gen3 sent back twice, DDM4 upper sent back 4 times, M&P .40c sent back once and I'd like to state S&W has the BEST CS I have dealt with, Ruger SR9 recall, currently Rem 700 recall, SIG mosquito sent back twice came back worse and paid for a new custom made extractor, but the cream of crap and absolutely horrid CS was FNH. Bought new FNP .40 shot maybe 100rds and dead. After 6 months and threatened with an attorney FNH sent me a new replacement and after 40 rds saw some of the same issues. Traded. I really really like some of the FNH stuff these days but it left such a bad taste in my mouth...never again.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Iv had problems with more than a few of my firearms, some new some used. New Glock30 gen3 sent back twice, DDM4 upper sent back 4 times, M&P .40c sent back once and I'd like to state S&W has the BEST CS I have dealt with, Ruger SR9 recall, currently Rem 700 recall, SIG mosquito sent back twice came back worse and paid for a new custom made extractor, but the cream of crap and absolutely horrid CS was FNH. Bought new FNP .40 shot maybe 100rds and dead. After 6 months and threatened with an attorney FNH sent me a new replacement and after 40 rds saw some of the same issues. Traded. I really really like some of the FNH stuff these days but it left such a bad taste in my mouth...never again.

Wow! The only gun I have ever had to send back was a Tec-9 back in the day. You have had some bad luck.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Wow! The only gun I have ever had to send back was a Tec-9 back in the day. You have had some bad luck.

Agreed...in fact I work with an abnormally high amount of firearm collectors considering my employment and none have had as many problems. I'm a sort of malfunction magnet...

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    On a plus side, the DDM4 is now my truck gun that I'd bet not only my life but my children's, the Glock was a carry for some time, and the M&P .40c is the only .40 Iv not sold. Alls well that ends well I guess....except the FN

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Colt 1911 series 80 commander. Technically, I inherited it (I would never buy one), but it was a piece of junk.
    Hung up, stove piped, you name it.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    i guess you get what you pay for. its like hi points, they are cheap, first one i ever had experience jammed after 3 rounds, you clear it, it works a bit then jams. they are cheap, and thats the point i guess.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Charter Arms AR-7 Explorer 22/lr . The jam amatic . Still own it bought in the 80,s . Just sits in my gun safe most of the time . Would not sell to anyone ,afraid if I did they would come back with a real gun and *&)$#@&^ me.:noway:

scott86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    The worst gun I ever had I didn't really pay for I got it as part of a trade. It was in Phoenix arms HP 22. The last round of any magazine would never load. I traded that off in a heartbeat.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I would have to say a ruger mk3 22/45. That thing would jam up all the time. And it was pain in the a** to disassemble for cleaning.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Fusion.

Pretty, but they do not run for long & dealing with the company for repair is torture.

Speaking of which a good friend ordered a Matt Burkett custom 1911 in late 2013. Was supposed to take 6 months. Now he can not get his deposit back and he gets a different answer from Burkett every time he calls about the gun.

I think some of the best folks in the world make some really nice high end guns, but my experience to date is that ordering something from a custom shop you do not know really well (particularly suspicious if you have to pay a significant deposit) is a good way to get hurt bad on a deal.

Off the shelf guns I have never had a problem with, some of them have needed repair but it has all been up front and professional with a satisfactory result.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Ruger p97. I just had to have one when they first came out. Sold it at a small loss and put the money towards my first 1911.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Did the Jennings 22lr dance. Slide flew off after 3rd rd fired. Rail was broken off. Factory replace gun, dumped asap.

Have a Davis 32acp Derringer, Wifey bought, actually fires ok.
    Had a Davis 32acp Semi Auto, it actually fired okay too. Traded up to something.

Bought a Squires Bingham M16-22lr, total junker, jammamatic, POS. Gunsmith worked on it, replaced the magazine, shot okay till dirty. Cleaned, oiled, sold.

Rest have been more popular brands, almost all no issues.

Favorites include S&W M10,M66, 442, G19/21, Beretta 92FS, Ruger P Series 89/90/95, Taurus 92, not one issue. None.

Top Bottom