Would you have lived through the attack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I took the time to read the full criminal complaint. Lots of interesting information from a preparation/home defense standpoint.

A couple of details (some have been mentioned already);

1. Family pet awakens girl. She see’s headlight in their driveway and goes to awaken parents.
    2. From inside the house, the dad reportedly was shinning a flashlight out a bay type window at the perp. Apparently there was some communication between the perp and father. The father was shot by the perp through a window as he peered outside. Perp stated that he then fired shot gun at locking mechanism causing door to open. He was using 12 guage slugs.
    3.Mom and daughter were “hiding” in locked bathroom. When shot was heard...911 was called. Perp kicks in bathroom door, ties up girl, shoots mom, and is out the door.
    4. Police said it was approximately 7 minutes from when EMS was contacted until officers arrived on the scene.

Hindsight is usually 20/20, but it seems like there would have been multiple opportunities with really minimal preparation to completely avoid this tragedy.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I took the time to read the full criminal complaint. Lots of interesting information from a preparation/home defense standpoint.

A couple of details (some have been mentioned already);

1. Family pet awakens girl. She see’s headlight in their driveway and goes to awaken parents.
    2. From inside the house, the dad reportedly was shinning a flashlight out a bay type window at the perp. Apparently there was some communication between the perp and father. The father was shot by the perp through a window as he peered outside. Perp stated that he then fired shot gun at locking mechanism causing door to open. He was using 12 guage slugs.
    3.Mom and daughter were “hiding” in locked bathroom. When shot was heard...911 was called. Perp kicks in bathroom door, ties up girl, shoots mom, and is out the door.
    4. Police said it was approximately 7 minutes from when EMS was contacted until officers arrived on the scene.

Hindsight is usually 20/20, but it seems like there would have been multiple opportunities with really minimal preparation to completely avoid this tragedy.

That is full of personal fail that cost those people their lives and possibly ruined the daughter for her lifetime.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That is full of personal fail that cost those people their lives and possibly ruined the daughter for her lifetime.

Very true, CM. 911 response time was 7 minutes, not bad unless you don't have 7 minutes.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Complacency in a small town.

"Nothing ever happens around here."

Until it does.

I have never lived under that delusion.

In 1988, one of our "small town" cops was killed. He was relieved of his service weapon and shot by a man attempting to pass a bad check at a jewelry store. A second officer responded and shot the suspect, who survived.

That second officer moved down the road to another "small town" police force. 6 years later, he was shot and killed, executed really. The man who did it then murdered his own children, a 4 year old and an 18 month old, and attempted to kill his wife before fleeing. He was killed by police a couple days later.

I really wish nothing ever happened around here.:rolleyes:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, that's not a knock by me either - just an observation. I see a variation of it here in Carmel, despite some very BAD things that have happened in Carmel.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Yeah, that's not a knock by me either - just an observation...

I didn't take it as one.

That stuff made a serious impression on me as a kid. Made me learn that if it could happen here, it could happen anywhere.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Seriously.......yelling at him through the window. WTF people. I know not everyone thinks like many of us do but damnit man.

Not defending it, and it's not what I would do, but that's probably what 90% of men would do. And it probably scares the perp away 99% of the time. Except when it doesn't.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    yes, I believe this would have gone differently at our house.

What I read (fox news website*) was the girl woke up her parents, then her dad went downstairs to investigate/confront. No mention of the father being armed, and he was shot/killed.

There is never a reason to confront an intruder that is on a different floor or part of the house when your family is together and has the high ground. Alamo up. Be the ambush. I get the desire to confront, but it's not the smart play. It's especially dumb if you are unarmed, or consider a baseball bat to be a real weapon.

A few years ago, when I was still living in MD, my wife woke me in a panic and said there was someone down stairs. Not that she heard a noise, or could I check, but "there is someone downstairs." I did exactly that... took up the best concealment, pseudo-cover position I could at the top of the stairs with the long-gun from under the bed, and as loud and as with as much authority in my voice as I could muster I shouted to 'get the F out. if you come up the stairs you will die." luckily, she was wrong.... but I waited in that ambush position for many minutes before I felt confident that anyone who might have been in the house was gone, and only then did I go investigate and clear the house....

Also, the idea in this thread that you can't have a weapon handy because you have kids is absurd. There are safes that fit under your bed that can be opened in a couple button presses. Or you can keep the gun holstered and on you and just put in a nightstand when you go to bed.

The key is being alert to the problem. The guy didn't enter stealthily, he used a 12ga universal key. As a heavy sleeper, being alerted is my weakness. Frankly, this guy didn't win through overwhelming speed and force, he won because of bad decisions by the father.

As always there are a million variables and lady luck sometimes shines on the bad guy. But there are decisions and plans you can make to put odds in your favor.

*https://www.foxnews.com/us/jayme-cl...seeing-her-get-on-a-school-bus-complaint-says

2c
    -rvb

Top of the stairs is one of the most advantageous positions you can have. If you know how to position yourself, it's next to impossible for a single person to get to you without shooting through the floor under you. Stairs are one of if not the most treacherous obstacles to negotiate if someone is waiting to ambush you.

Coming down the stairs when someone is already positioned properly is almost as bad. I was in a scenario in a tactics class once when my partner and I decided to just stay put and wait for the potential threat downstairs to get tired and go away. I still can't think of a better solution for that situation with tools at hand.

Top Bottom