Would you have lived through the attack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Seriously though -
    Doesn't anyone use a Battle Belt? Like with firefighters at their ready, they have their boots with their outfit in a strategically configured pile in front of their lockers. Slip the boots on pull on the rest ASAP.

Battle belt.
    Loaded and ready to go. Just step in and pull it on. Pistol with mags is on there as is the rifle mags if you're grabbing that also. Spare cell phone, house and car keys, flashlight, first aid kit, audio recorder, etc.... whatever works.

Whatever you rig up.... train, train, train....
    Run simulations- Front door kicked in - back door kicked in - front and back door kicked in simultaneously - power, phone and internet cut then door kicked in.
    Do them all...

I have a vest with all the kit on it. I honestly wont wear it unless SHTF is underway because it is big, bulky and a general pain to put on. I was considering getting a smaller vest or sling type satchel with minimal stuff on it like spare ammo, extra light and maybe a small blowout kit.

Planned to have it stuffed with IIIA soft armor. Now you have me wondering about the belt instead, since it has a smaller footprint and I would guess it weighs less.

My problem is I start to over think everything when it comes to this. I used to have electronic muffs by the bed. Then I decided I wouldn't put them on if in a hurry so I got a can for the rifle. I have a light by the bed but put a WML on the rifle so I didn't have to grab something else.

Just figured that if time was a factor I wanted less single items to contend with. Then the problem becomes where do I stop? I already know I won't put on the hard armor for a kick at the door. Unless I knew up front that I had bad guys with rifles. In which case I would be screwed most likely anyhow.

But a belt doesn't have miles of potential storage space. Quick to don, even if just thrown over the shoulder.

Now I have to start looking into these.

Tburke798

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    St.John
    The mentally deranged man that kidnapped the thirteen year old, who just escaped, had an evil plan. He blew the hinges off of the door with his shotgun and immediately murdered the adults encountered to kidnap the girl.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/us/jayme-closs-found-saturday/index.html

Would you have had the hardware in hand, the training and the mindset to stop this heathen, who seemingly came from nowhere?

I would like to think I would have ran for the Pistol after the first shot but? I never have a weapon on me at home, several within reach but not by my chair. It's hard to have guns at the ready when you have kids over, family, etc. I do have a FIREARM hidden in 3 rooms but not the main family room. I need to get something that would conceal the gun in the family room where NO ONE but me and the wife knows where it's at! I've seen those Mantle things but IIIIIIIIIII don't know???
    Any one seen other things that could be used to conceal a weapon in a family room that doesnt stick out like it's CONCEALING a weapon?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would like to think I would have ran for the Pistol after the first shot but? I never have a weapon on me at home, several within reach but not by my chair. It's hard to have guns at the ready when you have kids over, family, etc. I do have a FIREARM hidden in 3 rooms but not the main family room. I need to get something that would conceal the gun in the family room where NO ONE but me and the wife knows where it's at! I've seen those Mantle things but IIIIIIIIIII don't know???
    Any one seen other things that could be used to conceal a weapon in a family room that doesnt stick out like it's CONCEALING a weapon?

It's not hard at all when you carry it on your person when you're at home. Simple, easy, you always have control of it, and you have it available if you need it when you need it.

Tburke798

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    St.John
    My biggest concern about home invasion is a group of criminals dressing in faux tactical gear and trying to kick in the door while yelling "police, search warrant." I can't see through the door and don't want to be in front of it anyway, not sure if real police would turn on their car lights if asked.

I still think my best defense is people just not knowing what's behind door #1, Monty.

This is easy i think......You have to be the dopeman, bad guy, terrorist, for that to happen...If you know your not a outlaw then lite them up as they come thru? If they have the wrong address it's on them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    yes, I believe this would have gone differently at our house.

What I read (fox news website*) was the girl woke up her parents, then her dad went downstairs to investigate/confront. No mention of the father being armed, and he was shot/killed.

There is never a reason to confront an intruder that is on a different floor or part of the house when your family is together and has the high ground. Alamo up. Be the ambush. I get the desire to confront, but it's not the smart play. It's especially dumb if you are unarmed, or consider a baseball bat to be a real weapon.

A few years ago, when I was still living in MD, my wife woke me in a panic and said there was someone down stairs. Not that she heard a noise, or could I check, but "there is someone downstairs." I did exactly that... took up the best concealment, pseudo-cover position I could at the top of the stairs with the long-gun from under the bed, and as loud and as with as much authority in my voice as I could muster I shouted to 'get the F out. if you come up the stairs you will die." luckily, she was wrong.... but I waited in that ambush position for many minutes before I felt confident that anyone who might have been in the house was gone, and only then did I go investigate and clear the house....

Also, the idea in this thread that you can't have a weapon handy because you have kids is absurd. There are safes that fit under your bed that can be opened in a couple button presses. Or you can keep the gun holstered and on you and just put in a nightstand when you go to bed.

The key is being alert to the problem. The guy didn't enter stealthily, he used a 12ga universal key. As a heavy sleeper, being alerted is my weakness. Frankly, this guy didn't win through overwhelming speed and force, he won because of bad decisions by the father.

As always there are a million variables and lady luck sometimes shines on the bad guy. But there are decisions and plans you can make to put odds in your favor.

*https://www.foxnews.com/us/jayme-cl...seeing-her-get-on-a-school-bus-complaint-says

2c
    -rvb

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This ^

Why would you leave this position if the family is all with you?! Call the police and let them do their job.

Sorry for the C clamp grip, hard to hold a shotgun and take a picture at the same time :D

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So, to use a battle belt, is it required to have pants?
    Asking for a friend.

I donned the battle belt naked once.
    There was a pouch hanging in the front area that I noticed right away because it kept slapping the boys when I moved around. Then when I tried to crouched down, there was this piercing soprano hitting high "C" in my living room. Nailed it by the way. I moved the pouch over a bit. :n00b:

I would hope I'm dressed with something.... anything before running around the house but naked does happen. I do have slip on boots next to the belt and some mud boots at the front and back doors for anything that might come up outside quick so I'm not caught with socks in the snow at least. My inside concern is glass..... hence the boots next to the belt.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like to relax in my jammy jams when I’m at home though.

So did the murdered parents of the kidnapped girl.

Not only did they fail to protect themselves, they'll never be able to protect their daughter again, on top of what may have already been done to her.

Top Bottom