• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Would it help to put the popper on plywood when the ground is soft?

It can...
    But some of the bases on our poppers would make setting them on plywood difficult at best.
    We try to set the poppers light to avoid reshoots for range equipment failure, I guess they were too light when the wind picked up.
    I was on squad 2 and I believe we only had 2 fall inadvertently. We just made them a little heavier and had the shooter reshoot the stage.
    Ill set them heavier next month, hell, I'm shooting major:):

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I like the way you set them. It is really nice when a good hit with a 9mm always makes them fall.

Says the guy who hit the one in bay one about 6-8 inch's low and left it standing. Of course that was the second run after some dumbass stopped you on your first run.:wrongdoor:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Would it help to put the popper on plywood when the ground is soft?
    Maybe but would have to have holes drilled in it for the spikes to go thru.
    Happygunner and I were talking about the poppers that they use at Universal Shooting Academy and they are small bases that are spiked down and the popper is not attached to the base but sits in a V . When shot it just falls and doesn't effect the base. Popper is then picked up and reset in the base. The cool thing about them is that you can turn the base around and make them forward falling also. While I don't know what they would be like to live with every match they were awesome for the two matches I shot there. One down side is they would require something on the ground for the popper to fall on when muddy so the person resetting them doesn't get mud everywhere. They are very light and easy to carry also.
    Just a thought if more are purchased.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Warsaw has such poppers. They are a joy for set up and tear down.
    If I remember correctly one of the state matches up there had a ton of rain and the same calibration issues arose. They are easier to mount on a larger plywood base.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Says the guy who hit the one in bay one about 6-8 inch's low and left it standing. Of course that was the second run after some dumbass stopped you on your first run.:wrongdoor:

That was somebody else, did get a Mike on the swinger on that stage though. Much as I hate to credit the old fart I do think Max is right about always painting steels, information is a good thing.

The Missouri state championship always has a giant butt load of steel targets and I can't remember issues. If I get to go again this year I'll ask those folks if they have any tricks of the trade.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Oh, Owensboro gun club is lucky enough to have several of the small poppers, everything is easier, but poppers are expensive and there are probably distance considerations where you wouldn't want to use some course designs if you did not have the big ones.

Top Bottom