• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The Enfields are very fine rifles. I am an Enfield nut, can never have enough of them.

Zoom in on the markings!

All of the parts are interchangeable. The Indians brought the old machinery back to live. I can't remember if they used recycled receivers and stocks, iirc everything was made new. I can post a picture View attachment 72361

That is very neat, do like the crest.. Looks like the flying monkey any idea how many of these last rifles were made???

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I don't believe it is a monkey. I think it is a tiger flanked by two cobras. not sure about production numbers for the last batch (86-91).

Someone started a thread about these on the gun boards. Iirc, total production was less than 40,000 units

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I don't believe it is a monkey. I think it is a tiger flanked by two cobras. not sure about production numbers for the last batch (86-91).

Someone started a thread about these on the gun boards. Iirc, total production was less than 40,000 units

Well maybe if someone did not use so much flash in that photo just maybe I would not have had to guess what the critter was... :) Many thanks for that number... Any word why these were made..???

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Well maybe if someone did not use so much flash in that photo just maybe I would not have had to guess what the critter was... :) Many thanks for that number... Any word why these were made..???

I will take pictures outside during daytime from now on haha. I think there are two different reasons why these were made. The first is that they were made to equip local police forces.

The other is that they wanted to see if the old machinery was still usable. Iirc all of the receivers were made in 1986 and 1987. It took a few years to assemble all of the parts they made.

My guess is that it was a combination of both. They probably had a stockpile of 303 ammo and wanted to equip their police with more rifles. They did not have enough in inventory and ended up making more .

Simpson LTD out of Galesburg had one for sale. It may still be there

ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    Nice collections!

I started mine a few years back, currently sitting at:

1945 Springfield M1 Garand
    1945 Springfield 1903a3
    1944 Inland M1 carbine
    1930's Russian Mosin

My next additions will be a 1917 and Enfield.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Well you hooked me,.. I had heard of Simpsons LTD, but never been there.. But I am going to have to drop in..

I mean heck it is no Falls City Firearms but there can only be one Fall city Firearms..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdk0K35h0w

If you make a trip out to Simpson's, you need some information.

1) Their showroom floor is not that large. A good portion of their inventory is in the back. If you see something that is not on the floor they will go in the back and get it for you.

2) They have weird hours. 1-5pm, Tuesday-Saturday, Central Standard Time

3) I would go when one of the near by towns has a gun show. I can't remember the name of the town the one I went to was in, but it has a decent show.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011

I bet you it is suppose to be the Ashoka Lion.

220px-Emblem_of_India.svg.png

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have wanted a Lithgow for a while, that one looks nice. My favorite Enfields to collect are ones with South African markings. The pinnacle of any Enfield collection is the No 1 Mark 5 Trials Rifle, No 4(T), and No 1 Mark 6.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The greatest of all Enfields is the Enfauser/Mauser..

The great 8mm Cartridge with the slick Enfield action

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/turkish-enfauser-mauser-enfield-hybrid-rifle/

The best ones are the Enfauser/Mauser that were picked up at Gallipoli,
    left behind as Drip rifles to cover the British/Australian withdraw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhQ-scixu2w

The twist to the story is that the Turks claimed they were unneeded, because the Turks already know of the withdraw and was glad to let them go..

Such be the fog of war..

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I can't find the link to my "small by comparison to some here" mil-surp collection. I guess I'll need to drag them all out of the safe for a Glamor Shots photo shoot party.

Joker & I were talking about doing a hands on Revere's Riders shoot and tell party. Who all would be interested? There would probably be a small ammo cost and range fee. You'd get to handle and shoot these guns + hear a short bio on their history.

Top Bottom