• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I know how you feel, OP. The Python is probably my favorite "desired" firearm. I'm a Colt fan and one would go perfect with my small collection but dang they're salty. Just can't justify it.

On the other hand, my Dad has a S&W 66 and it shoots so sweet you wouldn't believe it.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I bought an 8" barrel Anaconda from McDonalds in '99 right before the prices started going stupid. Wish I had looked for a Python to go with it back then cause I just can't bring myself to pay what they're asking now. I love the Anaconda, it's still one of the nicest shooting revolvers I've ever shot. Hopefully they'll start making them again and they can somewhat retain the action quality of the original. I bought one of the new Cobras this weekend and it is an absolute blast to shoot so I am hopeful. Very nice action.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Have you ever shot a python?
    Back in the wheelgun days I shot a s&w mod19 ...then I bought a python, totally different for me. Python had a loooong hammer fall compared to the mod19.
    Still have the python, but don't shoot it...
    If you've never shot one and are close to Shelbyville you can try mine.

Nope I've never even had my hands on one. At gun shows they are usually close to the owner or under glass and I'm too chicken to ask. Haha. I'm not too far from Shelbyville, that's a heck of an offer!

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Picked up a used Python about 3 years ago for $2000 , smoothest revolver I have ever shot or handled. In full lock up it's a bankvault cylinder literally will not move (the new Colt cobras lock up just as tight in my experience).

I have the 6 inch blued model and it's a gorgeous pistol, I really would like to get a "combat Python" which is the snub nosed version for carry just for kicks and giggles but as others have said they are a bit salty right now

wBfkOnLh.jpg

That's a beauty.....no regrets on forking over 2k?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    That's a beauty.....no regrets on forking over 2k?

No, its only going to get more expensive, the nerds want these guns its why you cant find broomhandle mausers (Han Solos gun) or stens (Stormtrooper gun), Rick from the Walking Dead has carried one forever and they are heavily featured in the Call of Duty franchises. Stuff like that doesnt go away use the S&W Model 29 as an example its still in demand just because Dirty Harry used it!

Find a well used one for a good price and buy one, with this being a "regular" at a good gun shop is key, only reason I had one is because a dealer friend of mine called me the minute he got it in a trade and offered it to me.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    The closest ranges for me are Atterbury or Greenfield.Offer still stands...
    Years ago I just HAD to have an HK (That's what Jack Bauer
    used on "24"). Great pistol, but it didn't flt me at all. Still miss that pistol, but glad I don't own it!

Bburrows04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2018
    COLUMBUS
    I would say if that's what you really want then go for it if you can. I am sure you will not regret it. have you decided on blue, or nickel coated? Barrel length? or the price you willing to pay? I think all those should be considered. The gun itself is something I would love to have one day but I am unsure on how expensive I would want to go.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    This thread reminds me of the brand new in box, still wrapped in yellow tissue paper python that I passed for $750 15 yrs ago, and the anaconda I passed for $500 bout 20 yrs ago. Dammer, I like my smiths but would like to add those snakes to my collection.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Python's are mighty expensive for a range or carry gun (at least to my checkbook). Buy it and keep it in the safe.

That would be my concern. I'm not generally one to buy stuff just to have it. I want to be able to use it, shoot it, etc.

I wish I still had my Colt King Cobra that I bought abut 25 or more years ago, but I traded it off quickly because that thing was either built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

Only reason I'd still want to have it is the prices went up even on the King Cobra's in a crazy fashion. Think I paid like $350 for it way back when, and I probably paid more for it than I could have at the time, had I known a bit more about gun pricing back then.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Grew up shooting Colts.
    Have zero like for the Troopers (.22, .22 mag or .357).
    Pythons are kinda cool, but IMHO over rated.
    Shoot well for me with Hogue grips though.......51 or 52 yards, facing away.
    I spined him on purpose, bullet stopped in his nose.

pZ8K4F3.jpg
    [/IMG]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    All this talk about how much Pythons have gone up in price.
    Know quite a few folks with NIB stuff, multiples.
    And that is fine.

IMHO the investment is in living.........so use it, and when you die, have your kids use it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    All this talk about how much Pythons have gone up in price.
    Know quite a few folks with NIB stuff, multiples.
    And that is fine.

IMHO the investment is in living.........so use it, and when you die, have your kids use it.

That's my line of thinking as well, it will be my sons when I am old. I just don't have the time to shoot it as much or I would! I love it.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Gun guys shoot 'em.
    Money guys don't.
    True Dat
    I've never bought a gun I didn't intend to shoot to my hearts desire. I don't own safe queens. I do own some that I like shooting more than others, however.
    I feel the same way about classic cars. Drive 'em!

Top Bottom