• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you want a short and smooth trigger, DAO isn't the way to go. I've been checking out a lot of these lately and I've yet to find one with a trigger that I actually like on these. Some are gritty, some are heavy, and some are just all day suckers. You start pulling the trigger at 3am and at noon it goes bang...

The XD and M&P would be SAO and the trigger can easily be achieved, just not from the factory.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    One thing to consider is to purchase one in .40. I bought a XDM 3.8 in 9mm and I should have bought it in .40. The reason is you can buy a .40 gun and then buy an aftermarket barrel for it in 9mm. So, you can buy one gun and shoot two calibers with a new barrel and magazines. However, you cannot buy a .40 caliber barrel for a 9mm gun.

eeadams

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Fishers
    I had an M&P, my good friend had an XD. Love the M&P, hated the XD because of the feel of the gun in my hands. It was like holding a brick to me. Both guns shoot well and neither of us have ever had any trouble with them at all. Completely a comfort on your part between the two.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've never put a new trigger in a gun. I've never felt the need to. So how much are the triggers for the M&P?

If you ever start shooting competitively, you start to see the advantage of minimizing takeup, lightening trigger pull, and a quick reset.

Trigger kits vary depending how what all you want in it. Here is Apex's 'cover all' kit for the M&P.

S&W M&P FORWARD SET SEAR & TRIGGER KIT - Brownells

If you send it off to have it custom done, expect to pay more + shipping. In my mind and experience though, it's more than worth it, both in speed AND accuracy. My groups tighten up when I know exactly when I'm going to break the shot and I don't have to feel like I'm pulling on a brick with a heavy trigger.

Last edited:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you want a short and smooth trigger, DAO isn't the way to go. I've been checking out a lot of these lately and I've yet to find one with a trigger that I actually like on these. Some are gritty, some are heavy, and some are just all day suckers. You start pulling the trigger at 3am and at noon it goes bang...

Have you felt a factory HKp30 LEM?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I've owned both and sold the M&P. The cheap feel of the plastic hinged trigger was something I couldn't get comfortable with. I now have an XD45 and XDm9. I'd buy an M&P if there was an amazing deal to be had but dollar for dollar, have to go with the XD.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I like shooting my xd's. I have both the .45acp , and 9mm sub compact. but its all up to how they feel in YOUR hands.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Overview-Glock-19-4th-1024x657.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I own a few variants of both, and in my opinion neither is a bad choice. I tend to lean towards the XD, but I stake that on personal preference.

I often get better groups with my XD variants, but I doubt that can be attributed to the firearm itself. I could spout something about ergonomics, but the ergonomics of either aren't really "worse" - just different. When I shoot my XDs into paper targets, the groupings are better than when I do the same with my M&Ps of similar size/caliber. My brother and sister have the opposite experiences, so I chalk it up to shooter preference.

Also, the magazine will not fit in my XD backwards - so I am not sure where that came from - maybe a model that I do not own?

Neither have a "good" trigger. Neither has a "horrible" trigger. Neither looks appealing, and both are made of plastic. Both firearms are reliable, affordable, low maintenance, and capable self defense weapons.

You cannot go wrong with either... Shoot them both, then decide what YOU like. I would even say that about my *cringe* Glocks....

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    If you can handle both of them at the same time, that is the best way, seems to me like one will always have a better feel.

My preference is XD, shot Mp's still can't get used to them. XDm's have better sites or go with Trijicon have them on mine and like very much.

mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    I had the same question, I chose the M&P and I absolutely love it!!!! I got the compact 40 version, and I can shoot it better than just about any handgun I own!!

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I have a 4" XD and love it. I had a M&Pc and loved it too. I only sold the M&Pc to help fund my G23. I will be getting another M&P sometime in the future. IMO you can't really go wrong with the XD, M&P, or Glock. Like stated earlier go with the .40 just so you can buy a 9 conversion. Basically 2 guns for the price of 1.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Tell us more.

I can only explain so much on here, its more of one of the things you have to try it for yourself....but what it is, is a DAO but the double action pull up to the trigger break is something like 1/2 a pound (don't quote me on exact numbers) and I do believe the trigger break is @ 5-6. It is VERY smooth, not short on your first shot of course being DA, but you will have the same pull every time (instead of training DA first shot then SA after that). The reset is nice as well, meaning you do not have a "true" double Acton pull after it is shot the first time because of the trigger reset (like a Glock). If you decide to let off the trigger completely then you will go back to the first longer but light trigger pull. They have variants in the LEM as well.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I can only explain so much on here, its more of one of the things you have to try it for yourself....but what it is, is a DAO but the double action pull up to the trigger break is something like 1/2 a pound (don't quote me on exact numbers) and I do believe the trigger break is @ 5-6. It is VERY smooth, not short on your first shot of course being DA, but you will have the same pull every time (instead of training DA first shot then SA after that). The reset is nice as well, meaning you do not have a "true" double Acton pull after it is shot the first time because of the trigger reset (like a Glock). If you decide to let off the trigger completely then you will go back to the first longer but light trigger pull. They have variants in the LEM as well.

This is why I asked: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/233435-hk_lem_trigger.html#post3273967

Thanks.

Top Bottom