• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I have read and been told that dry firing doesn't hurt it in the slightest. So I have done this about thirty times. My question is should I do it 100 or so times BEFORE I actually put some rounds through it?

I have read that the gun gets smoother, especially the trigger and such after a 100-200 rounds, so I had this idea.

I will have to wait another month or so to be able to take her to the range legally as was explained in my other thread.

What are the thoughts on this?

crazyboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    south side indianapolis
    It's never good to sit and just dry fire. Yes you should be able to in any good reliable gun, but to do it a 100 times is asking for something to break. Specially if you are going to be practicing for shooting comp or your technique.

Volunteer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indy Castleton
    I agree with lawrra's suggestion. Snap caps make for some insurance against mechanical damage and stress related metallurgical changes that could possibly result in a firing pin failure down the road.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Snap caps are good for many reasons but you can dry fire without them.

If you manage to break something on an XD, consider yourself very special.;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In MOST modern firearms (rimfire not withstanding), you can dry fire all day long, without a snap-cap, and be absolutely A-OK. 100 times is a paltry amount, too.

Older firearms...not so much. MOST rimfires = BIG no-no.

But, as has been said, snap caps ARE cheap insurance if you're at all concerned.

-J-

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Half and half here on this topic:

Okay, here is the skinny. Should not dry fire an OLD gun or a rimfire (old guns dont have modern mettalurgy and rimfires batter the crap out of themselves by design without any round in the chamber). You can dry fire any modern gun unless advised against in the owners manual. Guns that require dry fire to disassemble (XDs, Glocks), no issues and in fact, dry firing is a good way to learn trigger reset and drawing practice.

You can dry fire a modern, WELL MADE gun all day long, no problems. Want insurance, then get the snap caps, but it is a waste of driving time and money on an XD, they can't be hurt by dry firing.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Snap caps are good for many reasons but you can dry fire without them.

If you manage to break something on an XD, consider yourself very special.;)

Special like this guy???

crank_yankers.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    as far as i have every known you can dry fire striker fired pistols as much as you would like without snap caps.... hammer fired (1911) are a little differant.... i have dryfired my g19 3 times the amount of live ammo that i have put through it which is in the thousands and never had a problem whatsoever.... spoken from experience but i am not sure about xd's

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I've dry fired my XD well over 100 times no issues, with any modern pistol it should not be an issue. a lot of training, military and civilian dry fire the **** out their guns before putting live rounds down range.

EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Get some snap caps. lawrra is correct about dry fire putting excessive stress on the XD's striker retaining pin. I broke mine during a period of daily dry fire and Springfield refused to send me a replacement... they wanted me to send the slide in instead.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Top Bottom