• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I had that reaction also. In theory it would depend on what type of environment you are in but in practice if you are working with your AR and not just in sport I don't see having the mental capacity to stop and think about it. Manage a malfunction, while under fire, and stop to think "ok, is this ground: rock (would be OK), deep mud (no-go), sand (likely no-go), dry dirt (no problem but be careful)...
    While watching it I figured my action would be based on whether I'm in full kit with many magazines or not. If so the magazine I removed would be placed on the ground and used as a muzzle rest to prevent taking a core sample of the dirt.
    I'm guessing you'd be okay as long as you didn't plug the entire flash hider, including the side "vents" since the bore itself wouldn't (normally) be coming in contact with the ground, but old habits die hard and that just made me cringe. :):

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Here is a video from Aaron of SageDynamics on AR malfunctions. He has a different take on clearing the brass over bolt malfunction:

[video=youtube;dB3q2Pj-6q8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3q2Pj-6q8[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think my personal history with "push/pull" plays a role in my recurring dream that I can't seat the mag in my AR no matter how hard I push.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is a video from Aaron of SageDynamics on AR malfunctions. He has a different take on clearing the brass over bolt malfunction:

That's another new-to-me method for addressing a brass over bolt malfunction. If it works all the time, it seems like a faster and more efficient method than what Pannone advocated in his video.

This also illustrates that's it's been too long since I took a carbine class. Looks like I've been left behind!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I think my personal history with "push/pull" plays a role in my recurring dream that I can't seat the mag in my AR no matter how hard I push.

I have a similar reoccurring dream where I need to fire a handgun (or rifle), but the trigger won't move no matter how hard I press on it.

These are some good videos (although I didn't watch the Yeager one yet). It reminds me that I need to add rifle malfunctions at next month's course of fire for range. It's been a while since we have worked on them.

Last edited:

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Yeah, I had that reaction also. In theory it would depend on what type of environment you are in but in practice if you are working with your AR and not just in sport I don't see having the mental capacity to stop and think about it. Manage a malfunction, while under fire, and stop to think "ok, is this ground: rock (would be OK), deep mud (no-go), sand (likely no-go), dry dirt (no problem but be careful)...
    While watching it I figured my action would be based on whether I'm in full kit with many magazines or not. If so the magazine I removed would be placed on the ground and used as a muzzle rest to prevent taking a core sample of the dirt.[/QUOTE

You can actually have quite a bit of gunk in your flash hider and not blow the gun up. Well at least you can sometimes:

[video=youtube;lUbltu3ZwLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=381&v=lUbltu3ZwLI[/video]

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Anyone else remember the competition video where the woman's unseated mag caused all kinds of trouble?
    But she still worked through it and turned in a competitive time!

Can't seem to find it here or on teh Googel...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anyone else remember the competition video where the woman's unseated mag caused all kinds of trouble?
    But she still worked through it and turned in a competitive time!

Can't seem to find it here or on teh Googel...

I remember that one.

Interesting video above on destroying an AR.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have an old Colt triangular guard AR and a short M-16 I built, neither one has every jammed in any way. I guess I'm just lucky.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an old Colt triangular guard AR and a short M-16 I built, neither one has every jammed in any way. I guess I'm just lucky.

I have had a couple that were problematic off the bench but easily enough corrected. All of mine run like scalded dogs but I will admit to not burning just 1 down when we take them out to dance. Most only see a couple hundred rounds per use. Some maybe 500 if the mod/conditions are right.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Around the 3 minute mark...

Corinne Mosher is clearly very well trained, well practiced, and highly skilled. There aren't a large number of competition shooters who could handle that kind of malfunction as calmly and efficiently as she did. Many would just quit at the point she she chose to mortar to fix the issue. I am impressed.

I will refrain from noting that she looks really good in that prone shooting position, because it would be inappropriate for me to mention that she looks really good in that prone shooting position.

Top Bottom