• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Wife has finally agreed to let me purchase a gun for home defense, provided I also purchase a security system.

She was dead set against it originally. I took the advice of folks on here and started feeding her stories and articles on violent crime in the area such as these:

Tippecanoe County Indiana : TCPSN ANTI-GANG INITIATIVES

3 arrested in connection with fatal Thursday night shooting (update) | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

Murder charges filed against 3

So, let the fun begin. I am now officially on the market for:

1. A good handgun. Right now considering Glock or Xd/XDM, something that will serve as both home defense and possible conceal carry. Looking hard at XDM 3.8 compacts, XD 45 compact, Glock 27, 30.
    2. A good HD Shotgun. Like the Mossberg 500.
    3. A wireless home security system.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :yesway: Congrats on step 1 of the process!

Good luck with your decision! I do not know your experience with firearms, but I suggest some training for you and the wife. That way she knows how to safely operate them too if need be. Anyway congrats and let us know what you get!

Also, nothing wrong with a security system as long as its capabilities are understood. They really are great for alerting fire or police in the event you are not home, but will most likely not save you if you are the intended victim of a home invasion. I am not implying that you did not already know this, but just some more info for her.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    1. A good handgun. Right now considering Glock or Xd/XDM, something that will serve as both home defense and possible conceal carry. Looking hard at XDM 3.8 compacts, XD 45 compact, Glock 27, 30.

Don't be so dead set on the handgun, unless you are sure what you want. I liked Glocks and XDs, too, until I shot a 1911. I also thought I wanted a compact, until I had a chance to compare it with a full size.

How much training have you had? If none, then try one of the many courses available in Indiana. Some of them lets you try shooting the instructor's many guns. Ask around on this forum.

Your wife is wise to require a home security system. It may pay off much more than your guns as a warning system or as a deterrent, so don't skimp there. I don't know much about that area, and I'd be interested to hear how your search goes. My suspicion is that there is probably a lot of hype, and you have to go through a lot of junk/overpriced systems before finding something that works well.

Da Bing

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Bingly, good advice

I've attended a First Shots program. That's it. I am thinking of attending a Basic Pistol or NRA pistol course shortly. I will keep an open mind. I've heard great things about the 1911s.

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    1911's are excellent pistols and I love to shoot them but I don't personally like them as a carry gun. A little to bulky and heavy for me.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I've attended a First Shots program. That's it. I am thinking of attending a Basic Pistol or NRA pistol course shortly. I will keep an open mind. I've heard great things about the 1911s.

I'd highly recommend Sheriff Ken Campbell's Introduction to Defensive Pistol. It's hard to imagine a better course or a better instructor, especially for the incredibly low cost. You won't be able to try out different pistols, though, and you should have your guns ready by then. Some sort of basic pistol course might be useful before taking the good sheriff's course. His course welcomes couples.

Training Announcements

Good luck!

Da Bing

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    my wife was originally against having a gun in the house. then she said i could get one but she wouldnt buy it for me. She got me a Glock 22 for my birthday this year.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Good luck and congradulations! As has been stated before, get some training. I recomend ACT basic Pistol 101 and Intermediate Pistol 101 courses. You'll have 1 day involved, and the price is right. Coach, Rhino, and John are EXCELLENT instructors. You can learn a lot from these classes.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Wife has finally agreed to let me purchase a gun for home defense, provided I also purchase a security system.

She was dead set against it originally. I took the advice of folks on here and started feeding her stories and articles on violent crime in the area such as these:

Tippecanoe County Indiana : TCPSN ANTI-GANG INITIATIVES

3 arrested in connection with fatal Thursday night shooting (update) | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

Murder charges filed against 3

So, let the fun begin. I am now officially on the market for:

2. A good HD Shotgun. Like the Mossberg 500.
    3. A wireless home security system.
    You made a common sense decision. Ruger makes an SR9c that gets good reviews. A safe is equally important.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    A Glock 30 is roughly the same size as a Glock 23, but a little fatter. a 27 would be easier to conceal.

Just starting out, 9mm might be a good place to start, rather than .40 or .45 unless you know that's what you want

Are you looking for top of the line, or are you on a budget. I like the Mossberg 590 and the Remington 870 Police Magnum as HD shotguns. Both are top notch.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A Glock 30 is roughly the same size as a Glock 23, but a little fatter. a 27 would be easier to conceal.

Just starting out, 9mm might be a good place to start, rather than .40 or .45 unless you know that's what you want

Are you looking for top of the line, or are you on a budget. I like the Mossberg 590 and the Remington 870 Police Magnum as HD shotguns. Both are top notch.

I agree. I think a 9 is plenty adequate and may be superior for followup shots. If you have kids, get something like the Gunvault mini safe for next to your bed.

You can also always get a used shotgun fairly cheap for next to the bed. I have both.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Around here, you can pick up a brand new Winchester pump shotgun with 18 inch barrel for about $300. I personally own a Mossberg 500, and have had zero issues with it at this time. Can't really go wrong with a pump shotgun, as long as you stick to the big-name companies.

As for pistols, I enjoy my Glocks, no matter the caliber. However, some new shooters may be turned off by the lack of external "safeties," (besides the one between your ears, of course.)

If that is the case, (and also if budget is a factor,) I would strongly suggest to look into Taurus firearms. They have a model in every caliber, in every size, and in every shape imaginable. The prices are decent, and the warranty is unlimited. Good starter guns, IMHO.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Fantastic advice all...keep it coming

If I buy a used gun, such as a used shot gun, how do I safely verify that it is in good working condition. I don't want something to blow up in my hands.

Top Bottom