• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :D congrats on the home defense. a shotgun and a dog might be the way to go. i would buy a new one, then you don't have to worry about its condition. mossbergs are'nt to expensive. a nice 12 ga. 9 shot pump might work for ya. :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think an XDm 3.8 in 9mm would be a good choice for a first handgun. You might also check out the Glock 19, Ruger SR9 & Smith M&P. Sub-compact guns are great but remember that this gun will have to be something you want to shoot and become proficient with. Nothing wrong with a little larger gun. Also you might want to consider a 9mm since it offers a large selection of ammunition and generally costs less then other cartridges.

A shotgun offers a lot of versatility. Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or Winchester SXPs are all good choices and can be purchased fairly reasonably. If you are going to own only one shotgun consider a combo with two barrels. An 18" - 20" barrel for self defense and a 26" - 28" field barrel with choke tubes for hunting and shooting clays. You never know when you might want to go shoot a round of trap with your buddies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Wife has finally agreed to let me purchase a gun for home defense, provided I also purchase a security system.

She was dead set against it originally.

. . .

So, let the fun begin. I am now officially on the market for:

1. A good handgun. Right now considering Glock or Xd/XDM, something that will serve as both home defense and possible conceal carry. Looking hard at XDM 3.8 compacts, XD 45 compact, Glock 27, 30.
    2. A good HD Shotgun. Like the Mossberg 500.
    3. A wireless home security system.

How recoil sensitive is your wife? Will she be trained to use the shotgun and handgun for the times when you are not at home?

Personally I think you NEED to figure that stuff out before you go buy a gun, any gun.

If she is small framed, or recoil shy, or generally against guns, I'd be seriously looking at a 20 Gauge shotgun with #3 or #4 Buckshot (not "00" Buck and not Birdshot). It has about 1/2 the recoil of a 12 gauge and 70% of the terminal energy.

As for a handgun, probably a steel framed 9mm. Perhaps a medium framed revolver in 38 (capable of +P). The heavier gun will tame the recoil. CZ75B, metal framed Sig, Beretta, etc. Ladies tend to like guns with a SAFETY lever, that leaves out Glocks, etc.

I've introduced and done beginner training to defensive handguns for some married women that "got permission" like you got. It is not uncommon for the ladies to stand at the firing line and CRY. Even if I have them shoot one of my daughter's pink handguns they find the thought of shooting to be objectionable. Clearly MANY ladies love to shoot, but it sounds like your wife is pretty set against it and only conceded to YOU getting a gun, but SHE will have to learn too.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I've introduced and done beginner training to defensive handguns for some married women that "got permission" like you got. It is not uncommon for the ladies to stand at the firing line and CRY.

Why do you think that is? Do you think they were forced into doing something that frightened them? Was it past trauma they were trying to get over?

Da Bing

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    I don't think she would cry

We will probably take some training together. Now that she has allowed guns for HD, she is more open to learning how to use one. It will be interesting to see if her reaction to shooting will be positive or negative.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Why do you think that is? Do you think they were forced into doing something that frightened them?...
    In every case where I have seen this its been the same thing. The husband talked the wife into getting the gun but the wife had ZERO family background with a gun, had a general (media based) bias against guns, and the wife finally agreed to getting a gun but really didn't want a gun. It was more like the wife conceded because the husband kept begging.

We will probably take some training together. Now that she has allowed guns for HD, she is more open to learning how to use one. It will be interesting to see if her reaction to shooting will be positive or negative.
    Just because she has "allowed" for it does not mean she is actually "open to learning" but I really do hope you are correct.

I just took out a young lady from Illinois and had her shooting for the first time in her life. She was eager and open to it so she had a lot of fun.

MINDSET is the real issue when it comes to guns. If women are open to shooting then they often have a great time and often find it "empowering" to fire weapons. But if they are reluctant and simply give in to the desires of their husband then it is often a less than pleasant experience.

dmfisher71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    Brownstown, IN
    how bout a 500 Smith and Wesson.. haha lol just kidding

need to get what you can hang onto... i shy away from 9mm i have seen them bounce off glass windshields before (me and friends used to shoot old cars alot) maybe a 357 sig... i am a fan of revolvers myself but, the 1911 style weapons are nice but the have a thinner frame as to the double stack mags are fatter i am a big guy and have big hands so i prefer the double stack style frame on a semi auto pistol.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    In every case where I have seen this its been the same thing. The husband talked the wife into getting the gun but the wife had ZERO family background with a gun, had a general (media based) bias against guns, and the wife finally agreed to getting a gun but really didn't want a gun. It was more like the wife conceded because the husband kept begging.

Wow, so did you have to do free marriage counseling? I'm only half joking, but I do feel bad for these women. It's unfair of the husbands to push their wives into doing something they don't want or cannot handle. How do you handle this sort of situation?

Da Bing

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Hows the search coming? One piece of info I didn't see posted above was that the glock is a little bit wider than the XD/XDm series or the M&Ps. For me, even that little bit of extra width becomes uncomfortable in a IWB holster and leaves more of a print under the shirt if it isn't really loose. That was one of the reasons I ended up with an M&P to carry anyway. If you are going to OC it probably makes zero difference. Anyway, good luck in your search!

PS: It would probably be worth your time to check out one of the many threads "glock vs XD vs M&P" as well as the ones about caliber and knockdown power.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . but I do feel bad for these women. It's unfair of the husbands to push their wives into doing something they don't want or cannot handle. How do you handle this sort of situation?

Its actually pretty easy IF the husband is not standing over her shoulder watching/hovering/etc.

Starts out with talking about the gun and talking about simple misconceptions about guns. Contrary to popular belief, women respond well to factual information. These particular women have been worn down by their spouse into agreeing to do what they don't want to do. Now they need to be shown they not only can do it but they can enjoy it. They need to see the fun side of shooting, the recreational aspects of it, but they also need to know simple truths like they are not "43 times more likely to be killed" because they have a gun in the home, they need to know that the higher their level of education the more likely it is someone will own a gun AND the higher the income level the more likely someone is to have a gun (blows the stereotype of "all gun owners are trailer park hillbillies").

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wife has finally agreed to let me purchase a gun for home defense, provided I also purchase a security system.

She was dead set against it originally. I took the advice of folks on here and started feeding her stories and articles on violent crime in the area such as these:

Tippecanoe County Indiana : TCPSN ANTI-GANG INITIATIVES

3 arrested in connection with fatal Thursday night shooting (update) | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

Murder charges filed against 3

So, let the fun begin. I am now officially on the market for:

1. A good handgun. Right now considering Glock or Xd/XDM, something that will serve as both home defense and possible conceal carry. Looking hard at XDM 3.8 compacts, XD 45 compact, Glock 27, 30.
    2. A good HD Shotgun. Like the Mossberg 500.
    3. A wireless home security system.

Heya neighbor!!! Congrats on the decision.......drop by Applied Ballistics down on Olympia drive, they have a few Glocks and Springfields. If you want to shoot a S&W MP...give me a shout out...will meet you there some evening.

Applied Ballistics also has training courses.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks Greiner

My plan is to get a membership at Applied Ballistics and begin trying different guns. I've seen your positive remarks on the M&P, so perhaps we can get together some time and shoot. Thanks for the offer.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    My advice to the both of you is to take a handgun class, one that will allow you to shoot a variety of calibers and styles. What you might like may not be what the wife likes. find out what she is comfortable handeling, let her pick out her hand gun and you pick out what you like. Then go to a range and practice practice practice My wife shoots a 22 and i shoot a full size 1911 45. which i carry when i leave the house.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    Do not let the price tag scare you from buying the gun you want. my first handgun cost me $1100.00 dollars and i do not regret it love to go to the range with it

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Good job convincing her a weapon is needed. Now on the particular pistol: I have several Glocks and had an XD in .40. I finally traded the XD because it was heavier than the Glocks and was a pain to carry in comparison and it only held 13+1 rounds while the lighter Glock G22 holds 15+1. I also like the better Glock trigger. Try them both. WHEN, not IF, you get your wife shooting you might want to settle on a 9mm so she won't be so intimidated by recoil.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    A thought on getting your wife used to the idea of herself carrying: Sometime when you are by yourself google up "Gilligan family murders evansville indiana" and read it. Do it without your wife because it is extremely upsetting. When you think she can handle it let her in on the details. If you can't find it please message me and I'll give you the particulars. If she doesn't see the need for her to also carry after absorbing the story I'd be very surprised. In that case if the mother had been carrying she and the kids might have had a chance. I'll close by saying I played parks league basketball for a couple years with the state trooper who was the first responder. He was so upset with what he saw that he couldn't get to sleep for over two days.

Top Bottom