• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember no I-65 and walking to the creek to go fishing, also remember yes sir and yes mam and the no’s of each, no sir/mam. ALL adults were respected regardless of status.

I remember someone else pumping your gas and checking your oil. I remember these on the pump jockeys.

View attachment 344938

I remember when “go fund me” was pushing around a lawnmower asking neighbors if they needed the lawn mowed.
    1712358229374.png

Pump jockeys and paper boys all had them. :thumbsup:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember having one when I was a pump jockey, but can’t recall having one as a PB, maybe the Laf. JandC was to cheap to give them to us. But that was a bicycle route if that makes a difference.
    I was never a paperboy, but I just remember that ours always had them. Actually now that I think about it, I did cover for our paperboy (friend of mine) a few times, but I don't think I ever had to go collect.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I was never a paperboy, but I just remember that ours always had them. Actually now that I think about it, I did cover for our paperboy (friend of mine) a few times, but I don't think I ever had to go collect.
    The only thing I can remember about collecting was we carried one of those draw string bank bags. I don’t even remember if it was monthly or weekly. I’ve slept since then. ;)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I remember no I-65 and walking to the creek to go fishing, also remember yes sir and yes mam and the no’s of each, no sir/mam. ALL adults were respected regardless of status.

I remember someone else pumping your gas and checking your oil. I remember these on the pump jockeys.

View attachment 344938

I remember when “go fund me” was pushing around a lawnmower asking neighbors if they needed the lawn mowed.
    I had one of those.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The only thing I can remember about collecting was we carried one of those draw string bank bags. I don’t even remember if it was monthly or weekly. I’ve slept since then. ;)
    I remember there was a little "ticket" booklet. They'd give you a little ticket about the size of a postage stamp as a receipt for your payment. So I think you could pay in advance if you wanted to.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I had a paper route when when I was kid... took over two other contiguous routes when some other candy ***** crapped out and eventually had the largest route in town (which isn't saying much).

Great experience...I learned much about cash flow including how to ensure collections from "slow payers and dead beats" thinking they could stiff a kid on a bill.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I remember there was a little "ticket" booklet. They'd give you a little ticket about the size of a postage stamp as a receipt for your payment. So I think you could pay in advance if you wanted to.
    I do remember the tickets, in my case from my parents point of view (they kept theirs on top of the television by the front door) it was to keep the PB from doubling dipping. Saying you owed for last week/month. Here’s my proof.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do remember the tickets, in my case from my parents point of view (they kept theirs on top of the television by the front door) it was to keep the PB from doubling dipping. Saying you owed for last week/month. Here’s my proof.
    Yep! I think my parents kept them on our room divider between the kitchen and dining room.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I could just see LittleRed... "Look ************, give me my ****ing money or I'll kick the **** out of your ****ing ass!"

I may have let the air out of a tire on some *******'s car who would always claim he was late for work and would pay me when he got back.

Only got stiffed once, but turns out that guy committed suicide... himself. I was coming by banging the doors for a few days before the guy next door told me. "He owed me $12.50". Guy told me I shouldn't have let the nutjob get behind. Lesson learned!

Old paper routes were great for learning...carrier got invoiced for the supply and that invoice was the responsibility of the carrier.

Carrier had to take care of customers and collect if they wanted to get paid.

Had an older widow lady on the route that was one of the nicest ladies one could ever meet. She would often offer a glass of iced water in the summer. In the winter, she would invite me in for a cup of hot chocolate. She was a florist in town...When the better half and I got married, I asked if she could do the floral stuff. Sweetest lady on the route.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    And here I was thinking pocket knife to the valve stem. :lmfao:
    That is amateur stuff. You needed a valve stem removal tool. Remove the air(or most of it depending)tighten it back and walk away. No real damage done, but it did cause an a s s or two an inconvenient day.

Top Bottom