• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I remember no I-65 and walking to the creek to go fishing, also remember yes sir and yes mam and the no’s of each, no sir/mam. ALL adults were respected regardless of status.

I remember someone else pumping your gas and checking your oil. I remember these on the pump jockeys.

View attachment 344938

I remember when “go fund me” was pushing around a lawnmower asking neighbors if they needed the lawn mowed.
    I kept my changer for decades after I retired from working at the gas station. It seemed like any job I got had me commuting on the toll road. it was 40 cents at each booth. I kept it full and hung on the ash tray or console. Three clicks and my 40 cents was in my hand without taking my eyes of the traffic. When I got off the toll road, I slid it under my seat.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I kept my changer for decades after I retired from working at the gas station. It seemed like any job I got had me commuting on the toll road. it was 40 cents at each booth. I kept it full and hung on the ash tray or console. Three clicks and my 40 cents was in my hand without taking my eyes of the traffic. When I got off the toll road, I slid it under my seat.
    You didn’t work at Earl Ave. and Ferry St. did you? Cause that’s the last place I used one. About 73-74 Dale Johnson IIRC. Soon after I came home and could go out in public. As a matter of fact I knew a fellow who’s name was Leo that worked there.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I had a paper route when when I was kid... took over two other contiguous routes when some other candy ***** crapped out and eventually had the largest route in town (which isn't saying much).

Great experience...I learned much about cash flow including how to ensure collections from "slow payers and dead beats" thinking they could stiff a kid on a bill.
    Same here, doubled my route by taking over another. 2 full bags strapped to the handlebars, and one over the shoulder on Sundays (those extra ads were killer). Can't waste time going back to refill. Once my uncle stopped by on a snowmobile during a blizzard (NWI) and I did my route from the back of his snowmobile, customers loved the effort and tipped great. Non-payers who wouldn't answer the door, no prob, skipped um, then when they called to say they didn't get a paper, I said I'll be right down with it...AND to collect my $4.40, lol. Had the coin changer too. Was rollin in cash, that gig paid for a new Schwinn 10 speed, used Yamaha dirt bike, and Canon SLR camera, thot I was gonna photograph super models when I grew up...

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I never was a paperboy or worked in fast food. My job when I was a kid was helping my dad at the jobsite when he owned his own construction business. I had my own little tool belt and a 16 oz Eastwing hammer I specifically chose at the hardware store.

I remember one job where we were remodeling an old abandoned house. The replaced the windows and through them in the dumpster while my cousin and I were smashing the panes with these weird metal anchor things we found in the house. My little cousin cut his hand from the glass, and my uncle gave him what they called a "Carpenter's Band-aid", which was a piece of paper towel or more likely a napkin from a fast food joint wrapped with electrical tape.

Another fond memory of that time was when my dad was doing calls for small jobs for a service called Essential. It was like being on call for a toe service or plumbing service. When commercial businesses had small construction jobs, they would send the call out to small local contractors, and you could either accept or pass. This one was for a Bed, Bath, and Beyond that flooded in the Concord Mall in Goshen. An HVAC unit somehow leaked a bunch of condensed water and flooded the store. We had to go in and replace the ceiling grid while another local contractor came in to repair the HVAC unit. That contractor was also a dad and his son, the son was the same age as I, which I believe was 13 IIRC. This was during the summer so I didn't have school, but we started around 5 and didn't finish until past midnight.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You didn’t work at Earl Ave. and Ferry St. did you? Cause that’s the last place I used one. About 73-74 Dale Johnson IIRC. Soon after I came home and could go out in public. As a matter of fact I knew a fellow who’s name was Leo that worked there.
    No Sir, When I was pumping Gas it was a 41st and Cleveland Street in Gary. Must be another Leo, which are few and far between in this part of the country.

I'll bet he was a great guy <grin>

Reactions: Mij
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I may have let the air out of a tire on some *******'s car who would always claim he was late for work and would pay me when he got back.

Only got stiffed once, but turns out that guy committed suicide... himself. I was coming by banging the doors for a few days before the guy next door told me. "He owed me $12.50". Guy told me I shouldn't have let the nutjob get behind. Lesson learned!

Old paper routes were great for learning...carrier got invoiced for the supply and that invoice was the responsibility of the carrier.

Carrier had to take care of customers and collect if they wanted to get paid.

Had an older widow lady on the route that was one of the nicest ladies one could ever meet. She would often offer a glass of iced water in the summer. In the winter, she would invite me in for a cup of hot chocolate. She was a florist in town...When the better half and I got married, I asked if she could do the floral stuff. Sweetest lady on the route.
    The Christmas tips were great too.
    I learned alot about people when trying to collect a $1.25. Some gave me a five and said keep it kid. Others racked up $15 debt and moved. Some were nice some were jerks. It prepared me for life at 12 years old

Attachments

• 970e4385124b8d240f1ab1175ce5779c.jpg
      970e4385124b8d240f1ab1175ce5779c.jpg
      100.1 KB · Views: 9

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Christmas tips were great too.
    I learned alot about people when trying to collect a $1.25. Some gave me a five and said keep it kid. Others racked up $15 debt and moved. Some were nice some were jerks. It prepared me for life at 12 years old
    Isn't it amazing how easily some people screw over a boy over nickles and dimes? I'll bet they had nice cars in the driveway and went to nice restaurants.

Top Bottom