• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I think it odd that the president targets this particular population, given how small it is. I know a girl this applies to, whose husband recently died, who is a supervisor at Navient, and just recently had a baby. Her kid is American, she's still technically Haitian. Obviously her family will all be deported, and given that her husband's family did not "approve" of their marriage, if she's allowed to stay, which is a big "if," she'll be here by herself. I can't imagine, a how a skilled young woman who came here as a young teen, married a citizen, had a baby, then endured the death of her husband, could possibly survive in Haiti with a bi-racial kid. 60,000 people? Really? That's a make or break number?
    TPS is a program that shouldn't even exist. If you bring people from war torn, economically disadvantaged, or natural disaster area, and they see how comparatively easy it is to make a good life for themselves, they're not going to want to go back. If they're brought here legally, then in light of what I stated earlier, they should either be given the opportunity to stay, or they shouldn't have been extended the offer in the first place.

Kut..... It's not that I have no feelings for the "girl you know who is affected by this". I do.

But it seems to me, that you only 'retain' the portions of anything you read that agree with your position.

The article CLEARLY STATES that, Acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke "gave the immigrants 18 months, to secure a different immigration status".

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep, I believe the program is even open to new applicants for protected status until sometime in January. Trump is just trying to put an endpoint on all of this sort of thing and transition to a saner system that maximizes value to the country for our trouble

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As for why only this group. Well would you rather they just evicted all of them at once.

Probably when this is over they will see which other group has overstayed their welcome.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I think it odd that the president targets this particular population, given how small it is...60,000 people? Really? That's a make or break number?...

Others have appropriately responded to the specifics of this girl's situation; I will await Kut's response to that...:whistle:
    But I would like to address the abstract-numbers aspect.

We are told 11 Million is too many to deport. Okay.
    But we are _also_ told that 60,000 is not enough to bother with, and/or racist to even bring up. K2.

So, really confused here...could one of you please pin down that "sweet spot" for me, that mythical, "less-than-that, more-than-this" quantity range which is worthy of our attention as a nation? You know, big enough not to be "racist"...but still small enough to be "practical?"

Are 60,000 people who break the speed limit worth going after? What's your criterion? What are you really saying?

If it's a low number, my reasoning is that if we can't go after a low number, then we'll never go after any. If the number is high, then you'll never get there if you never start.

Just really amused by this. No matter which end of the quantity range the discussion is happening on, it's all a B.S. argument, put forth by people who don't see illegal immigration as a problem, and/or who never met a loophole they didn't like.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Others have appropriately responded to the specifics of this girl's situation; I will await Kut's response to that...:whistle:
    But I would like to address the abstract-numbers aspect.

We are told 11 Million is too many to deport. Okay.
    But we are _also_ told that 60,000 is not enough to bother with, and/or racist to even bring up. K2.

So, really confused here...could one of you please pin down that "sweet spot" for me, that mythical, "less-than-that, more-than-this" quantity range which is worthy of our attention as a nation? You know, big enough not to be "racist"...but still small enough to be "practical?"
    Don't forget that we can somehow cannot enforce out immigration law to deport/encourage people to self deport, but we can confiscate 300 million firearms :D

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Now that I think about it..... maybe I should move to Puerto Rico, get in line for the "free ride" to the U.S.- and maybe I'll get all the benefits and welfare, etc that all the other immigrants receive when they come here. Might be better off than I am now, eh!??

Oh, and I won't have to pay any taxes, if they move me to a state w/ no sales tax.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Now that I think about it..... maybe I should move to Puerto Rico, get in line for the "free ride" to the U.S.- and maybe I'll get all the benefits and welfare, etc that all the other immigrants receive when they come here. Might be better off than I am now, eh!??

Oh, and I won't have to pay any taxes, if they move me to a state w/ no sales tax.

Puerto Ricans are US citizens. What are you babbling about? Are you actually not as well off as people who have had their homes destroyed and have been without power for 2 months?

Jimimy Xmas..... :rolleyes: :):

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Puerto Ricans are US citizens. What are you babbling about? Are you actually not as well off as people who have had their homes destroyed and have been without power for 2 months?

Jimimy Xmas..... :rolleyes: :):

WOW! I didn't realize YOU were the humor police.....

So I forgot the purple. So what!? Check yourself.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    WOW! I didn't realize YOU were the humor police.....

So I forgot the purple. So what!? Check yourself.

O5vj6wE.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At least 4 separate issues.

1) Trump is demonstrably a bully, always has been, always will be. I don't think of him as a "punk" though.
    2) The mayor in question is lamenting the death of a program that he likes by attacking the person ending it. That's human nature, and a political move bound to appeal to his base.
    3) TPS for the Haitians who came here immediately after the quake doesn't make sense temporally.
    4) US immigration policy is schizophrenic, at best. What makes the Hondurans or other TPS countries more appropriate? Granted, the endemic problems with US immigration policy is not Trump's fault. His continuation of that particular problem just makes him the next in line.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Hold on to your socks, this is just the first phase.

ETA I agree with schizophrenic. Congres passes a law, temporary, and administrations decide not to obey it.

There is a new Sheieff in town.

Top Bottom